News   Apr 25, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 384     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

No. I throw it around, because that is primarily what this election is about. Toronto elected a racist as mayor in 2010. Anyone who supports him is a racist.
We need to make sure this is clear and simple.
teamford.png
Image from CBC

Maybe they should be handing out white hoods rather than black t-shirts? Ford's supporters likely fail to recognize that they racists for supporting him.

Toronto Life
Zack Taylor is an assistant professor of urban politics at U of T who has studied the 2010 election results in depth. According to him, visible minorities made up more than half the population in all the wards where Ford won overwhelming support, compared to just 27 per cent in what Taylor wryly calls “Smitherman Village.”

There are plenty of reasons why an individual may support Rob Ford but I find it highly doubtful that Ford's supposed reputation as a "racist" is high on that list.
Accusing all supporters of Ford of being racist is ignorant and simplistic. It does nothing to encourage discussion of why nearly a third of Toronto residents still support this oaf, even after the disclosure of his drug use, buffoonery and thoughtless comments.

"Ford connects with the marginalized and disaffected better than anyone on the left. They see him as a straight-talker. His willingness to return their calls or knock on their doors means a lot to them—he offers the type of direct, immediate response they so rarely get from government services."

Last edited:
7 weeks to election, I want to believe he will pull out of the race and look after himself and his family. Who knows. I just hope to God Doug doesn't take it upon himself to start putting himself out there again.

instead of cancelling the debates, couldn't / shouldn't they open it up to one or two other candidates?

Accusing all supporters of Ford of being racist is ignorant and simplistic.
It might be simplistic, but it's the sad truth.

Everyone knows Rob Ford is racist. Only a racist, supports a racist.

I don't think Rob Ford is a racist. He's alot of things but bigot? I don't see it.
You might be the only one. My gosh, how can you claim he's not a bigot? He has publicly opposed same-sex marriage. How can anyone possibly be that utterly evil?

Re Chow--needless to say, Rob's current uncertain health situation offers her a reason to stay in the race (otherwise, like, what--a Mel-in-2000-style landslide for John Tory?). But really; I'm not much up on suggesting that *anybody* should quit because "they can't win". It reminds me of those old-time idiot arguments that the NDP should roll over and play dead because only Liberal and Tory have a chance of forming a government and the Dippers are only a Nader-like spoiler...

I respectfully ask why some people (a) consider Tory a bigot and a racist, and (b) consider Tory to be potentially a very poor administrator. I am asking this sincerely -- I need to know, because at present he has my vote. All along I've had the impression that he is a decent fellow with good listening skills, who is completely at home in this amazingly diverse city. This stuff has never come to light except on these boards. Please flesh out.

Back