News   May 03, 2024
 958     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 589     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 281     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Sounds like an excellent well thought out plan. I wouldn't expect anything less from Soknacki.

All the more reason for the left to drop Chow and put all its support behind him (someone with actual interesting ideas). Besides, he's pretty progressive socially. What's not to like if you're someone who is left of center? The more people support Chow the greater the chances of John Tory becoming mayor. If Chow was out of the picture I would think most people on the left would vote for Soknacki. As long as Chow remains a contender, Soknacki is toast.

Last edited:
Debate overload: Let’s spice up the Toronto mayoral election

Through no real fault of the organizers, all the debates have been basically the same, with the five leading candidates stubbornly sticking to narrow debate strategy and talking points. It’s making for a lot of repetition.

[...]

It’s a format that needs to be livened up, especially with so many debates remaining.

[...]

So to help solve our problem of dull debates, why not bring perspectives such as Goldkind’s to the debate stage? I know there’s a great reluctance to further crowd the mayoral field, but let’s not shortchange the value of putting someone on the debate stage that will talk about new and different issues — and, more importantly, someone who will push the leading candidates to talk about those issues too.

http://metronews.ca/voices/urban-co...-overload-lets-spice-up-the-mayoral-election/

All the more reason for the left to drop Chow and put all its support behind him (someone with actual interesting ideas). Besides, he's pretty progressive socially. What's not to like if you're someone who is left of center? The more people support Chow the greater the chances of John Tory becoming mayor. If Chow was out of the picture I would think most people on the left would vote for Soknacki. As long as Chow remains a contender, Soknacki is toast.

Not to mention that Soknacki draws lots interest from the center and right of center as well.

all the more reason why i don't understand why he's polling so low.

For a person with all these great ideas, it is a shame that his opening and major platform plank was to return to the failed SRT/LRT plan. Maybe Soknacki could drop out and re-join, but this time with a better first impression.

For a person with all these great ideas, it is a shame that his opening and major platform plank was to return to the failed SRT/LRT plan. Maybe Soknacki could drop out and re-join, but this time with a better first impression.

LRT over subway is what drew me to him.

LRT over subway is what drew me to him.

So Soknacki decided to go after the 33% who support the LRT. He has 15% of that LRT vote (i.e. 15% of 33% = Soknacki's 5%). I think Soknacki would have been much smarter not abandoning such a large percentage of the "subway" vote right off the bat. Asking "how can I satisfy the wants and needs of each part of the City, including Scarborough" would have been a better strategy than "screw Scarborough - I know better".

Last edited:
So Soknacki decided to go after the 33% who support the LRT. He has 15% of that LRT vote (i.e. 15% of 33% = Soknacki's 5%). I think Soknacki would have been much smarter not abandoning such a large percentage of the "subway" vote right of the bat. Asking "how can I satisfy the wants and needs of each part of the City, including Scarborough" would have been a better strategy than "screw Scarborough - I know better".

Considering the thoughtfulness of the rest of the campaign and the fact that he's a Scarberian, I think saying his policy here is just "screw Scarborough" is pretty oversimplified.

So Soknacki decided to go after the 33% who support the LRT. He has 15% of that LRT vote (i.e. 15% of 33% = Soknacki's 5%). I think Soknacki would have been much smarter not abandoning such a large percentage of the "subway" vote right off the bat. Asking "how can I satisfy the wants and needs of each part of the City, including Scarborough" would have been a better strategy than "screw Scarborough - I know better".

iWKad22.jpg

Attachments

• iWKad22.jpg
    iWKad22.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 422
Considering the thoughtfulness of the rest of the campaign and the fact that he's a Scarberian, I think saying his policy here is just "screw Scarborough" is pretty oversimplified.

You've got to understand that BurlOak's a troll on the Scarb transit issue that wants to live under an elevated LRT. His position in the mayoral debate is just a first derivative of his transit position.

FWIW, mid-August and it looks like Tory is going to be the beneficiary of the anti-Ford vote. Chow still has a shot at it, but he has the momentum. I'll be very interested as to what that means outside of transit. What are his positions on TPS, both the Chief and coming contract war? How about Waterfront Toronto refunding? Two huge issues.

Back