News   Aug 02, 2024
 555     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 910     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

You've got to understand that BurlOak's a troll on the Scarb transit issue that wants to live under an elevated LRT. His position in the mayoral debate is just a first derivative of his transit position.

How about someone who suggests that Chow at 20-25% support should drop out to help Soknacki at 5% support. Are they Soknacki trolls?

She should step out when she loses all her momentum and is sitting in the teens.

She will endorse the only other LRT supporter candidate in Soknacki at that point. Her endorsement can be massive, as Soknacki becomes the default candidate for the left and when his numbers start to rise, the center and right of center will start to consider him as opposed to Tory. The alternative is if Ford somehow drops out, allowing a lot of Tory and Chow's light support to consider new candidates.

I'm not saying any of this would happen though.

Debate overload: Let’s spice up the Toronto mayoral election

http://metronews.ca/voices/urban-co...-overload-lets-spice-up-the-mayoral-election/

If the doors are going to be thrown open to 'alternative' candidates, then I'm going to guess it's going to be from a pre-selected 'respectable' pool of candidates (Ari Goldkind, Morgan Baskin, etc.). No-one, for example, is going to invite Sketchy the Clown, for example, for fear of it turning into, well, a circus. The selection criteria that people complain about for the main candidates will be applied to everyone else. If everyone was invited to give their two cents, there's going to be a foaming racist/homophobe/etc. somewhere in there, and any experimentation is going to be shut down very quickly.

Nobody who panders to Ford Nation can be given that title.

There are a fair number of conservative Liberals out there. Anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, never too many cops on the streets, the whole nine yards. Jimmy K is but one example of them. I met more than a few when I was knocking on doors in YSW. I would guess many of them would choose Ford in a heartbeat.

There are a fair number of conservative Liberals out there. Anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, never too many cops on the streets, the whole nine yards. Jimmy K is but one example of them. I met more than a few when I was knocking on doors in YSW. I would guess many of them would choose Ford in a heartbeat.

Hasn't it been proven in the past that many Ford Nationers are life-long Liberal supporters?

Hasn't it been proven in the past that many Ford Nationers are life-long Liberal supporters?

Really? What was the proof of that?

I think some of Ford Nation would be aligned with the Tories in terms of social/cultural conservatism, but since the Liberals are the closest of the three main parties to being a 'big tent', Fordites might also support some of the more fringe elements in the Liberal party, such as Karygiannis, Ruprecht, Wappel (the 'you didn't vote for me, so why should I help you?' guy).

She should step out when she loses all her momentum and is sitting in the teens.

She will endorse the only other LRT supporter candidate in Soknacki at that point. Her endorsement can be massive, as Soknacki becomes the default candidate for the left and when his numbers start to rise, the center and right of center will start to consider him as opposed to Tory. The alternative is if Ford somehow drops out, allowing a lot of Tory and Chow's light support to consider new candidates.

I'm not saying any of this would happen though.

People need to just accept that Soknacki isn't going to win regardless of what he does. His numbers have barely moved since January. The guy is not going to win. This will come down to John Tory vs Olivia Chow.

Then John Tory is our next mayor.

Maybe it won't be too bad, his DumbTrack will never be built so long as the Liberals have a majority and I don't really care too much about FWLRT and SELRT, they either happen or they don't and we focus on other projects. I just hope council has the backbone to oppose him on Eglinton Connects.

Then John Tory is our next mayor.

Maybe it won't be too bad, his DumbTrack will never be built so long as the Liberals have a majority and I don't really care too much about FWLRT and SELRT, they either happen or they don't and we focus on other projects. I just hope council has the backbone to oppose him on Eglinton Connects.

Really? Come on. It's more likely SmartTrack will be built with a Liberal majority. I'd rather have a mayor with a strong business background and solid ideas then a mayor who is a blowhard conservative and criminal or a left leaning mayor with a terrible transit plan and is being looked at like David Miller part 2.

John Tory is a great pick for mayor and Tory is someone who can work well with council to get things done. I hope he wins and I hope his transit plan goes through.

Really? Come on. It's more likely SmartTrack will be built with a Liberal majority. I'd rather have a mayor with a strong business background and solid ideas then a mayor who is a blowhard conservative and criminal or a left leaning mayor with a terrible transit plan and is being looked at like David Miller part 2.

John Tory is a great pick for mayor and Tory is someone who can work well with council to get things done. I hope he wins and I hope his transit plan goes through.

SmartTrack is really just a rehashing of GO expansion plans, it will get built. However, it obviously has to include all GO lines not just two of them. As far as I can tell SmartTrack is just a marketing thing to make his GO expansion plans look sort of like the DRL.

Tory really ought to look into revisiting Eglinton if it is reasonably possible to do this. I do not understand why we are not building an automated subway that runs from Black Creek to Don Mills, with nothing (or elevated rail) east of Don Mills. The transport minister sort of admitted that changing Eglinton to a subway was possible with more funding when Rob Ford proposed his make the eastern section underground idea yet again (which is absurd of course). I mean Tory is already proposing cancelling all the non-Eglinton LRT lines, so most of the Bombardier has to be cancelled anyway, so it seems like buying automated subway rolling stock would make sense at the same time. I fear that big condo developments like the Celestica redevelopment will make Eglinton packed, that and all the people who work near Pearson if the line ever goes in that direction. The current Eglinton proposal is pretty strange.

Of course the Eglinton bike lane proposal is a bad idea and needs to be cancelled. Riding a bike in Toronto is dangerous with or without bike lanes. Also reducing a major road to 1 lane each way near Yonge/Eglinton is a bad idea, remember that there are no continuous east west roads for 4km on either side as St. Clair and Lawrence both have gaps.

Why should the Liberals allow John Tory to take credit for their GO expansion and electrification projects? Tory isn't even a Liberal!

Most likely thing that will happen is that the province says no to Tory's SmartTrack, they build their GO projects, and they have Metrolynx continue with planning the DRL at their pace.

What really bothers me is Eglinton Connects. I thought Eglinton would finally be safe with Ford out of office and then Tory had to come around with his stupid opposition to the project. Sigh, forever 1 step forward 3 steps back in this city.

wow... just wow

i will fight to the death your right to voice such an incredibly stupid opinion

le sigh

le huge, sad, disappointed sigh

Concern trolls are funny, aren't they? I mean funny and sad, which is quite a feat.

Back