News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 628     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 300     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Looking at the pre-election polls, I can't see any evidence that Forum was "most accurate". EKOS was actually a lot closer, estimating support for the Liberals at 37.3% near the end where Forum had them at 41% (compared to 38.6% in the result). Add to that the gross oversampling of the older cohorts and we do not have a very reliable poll.

If I may repost my comment from elsewhere:

There are so many problems with this poll, polling generally, and, especially, how the media reports them. It's true that big shifts in voting preferences happen - but not all the time, and usually only in the context of, well, some other event, be it a scandal or closely watched campaign event (which certainly is not where we are now!). My point here is simply that a reliable poll should have relatively consistent results over short "quiet" periods with fairly limited variability. Instead we have Forum providing results that swing wildly (especially looking at the strata), with unknown sampling weights, non-response, and sampling frame. Often the media (and pollsters who offer comment) ascribe such swings to voter "volatility" when in fact what it shows is the degree of error and bias in their results. Then when a pollster is seen to "get it right" by being closest to the election result, this is ascribed to superior methodology even while it has just as much to do with being lucky.

This kind of poll grossly oversamples certain strata, yet apparently doesn't account for the intrinsic sampling (and non-response) bias this represents. All the post-hoc sampling weights in the world will not fix a sample with major bias from the get-go. Specifically, that 18-34 age sample is weighted according to its population share, but given how small it is (74), the error margins are enormous, to say nothing of the obvious, non-random non-response bias in a poll which obtained results from 74 people under 34 and 466 over 65. Considering that the 18-34 group is still actually larger than the 65+ group, the problem should be obvious, even accounting for lower participation amongst younger people.

(And to be clear, I'm using the proper statistical definitions of error and bias.)

But here's the thing -- our mayor has one vote. We've seen the dynamics of council w.r.t. all of this, how they've cornered RF and disarmed him (well, except for his runaway mouth).

He was disarmed due mostly to his personal habits rather than policy.

If Toronto re-elects Rob then council will probably not remove his powers again as Torontonians have said he is capable despite his personal issues.

Some councillors will continue to vote against the Ford policy but if he gets back control of the executive and agenda, it'll be like his 1st year again for a while.

With any luck whomever is mayor will encourage a ranked ballot in 2018.

Last edited:
I don't get why One City is not the centre piece of her election year transit plan. Another change of mind perhaps?

It was a grab-bag of proposals to get every councillor's pet project in there. Once it failed to leave the station, it was promptly sold for scrap.

The only thing that could stall John Tory's momentum is John Tory. If I were his handlers I would be very, very cautious the next three months. Tory is very prone to gaffes, both at the strategy level (the '93 Chrietien ad) or policy level (the religious school debacle).

But here's the thing -- our mayor has one vote. We've seen the dynamics of council w.r.t. all of this, how they've cornered RF and disarmed him (well, except for his runaway mouth).

Well, I guess it is bad to mention RF and Tory in the same paragraph. I see some positives in Tory; things just may get accomplished, all the while progressives (like me) could still have our say. Tory will have to learn not to opine on things that are just not his bailiwick.

It's important to remember how much power council holds and how terrible most of them are.. however I don't see John Tory as the best choice to lead council. He has a bad track record of not following through on ideas, being unable to control and handle his own political party, and generally being unable to control his own agenda. Ford bullied council and was quite successful at it for a couple years. I don't see Tory being able to do anything like that. Olivia Chow maybe, because she has the political skills to get what she wants done.

Stacks of tuna cans resemble Chow, Tory, Ford

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news-story/4752526-stacks-of-tuna-cans-resemble-chow-tory-ford/

Buo3F2gIcAA-yeQ.jpg

https://twitter.com/CTVToronto/status/498271282707070976/photo/1

Attachments

• Buo3F2gIcAA-yeQ.jpg
    Buo3F2gIcAA-yeQ.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
repost from the other thread

I'll vote for Ford because:

1. He represents the voice for fiscal restraint at City Hall.

2. He supports subways over LRTs.

3. He recognizes that the cars are an important part of the transportation mix in Toronto.

4. He's the only one who will continue to fight for removal of the Land Transfer Tax.

5. He understands that the city can't keep raising taxes beyond the rate of inflation without impoverishing its citizens.

6. He won't put up with elitist sense of entitlement as witnessed at Toronto Community Housing Corporation and cleaned up the corruption.

7. I want him in charge when public sector contracts with bloated pensions and benefits come up for renewal.

8. He understands that his job is to keep Toronto running well and doesn't aspire to representing Toronto on the world stage or areas that are the rightful purview of the provincial and federal government such as youth unemployment. There is no reason for city councillors to travel the world studying how other cities function. Read a book or use technology.

9. He will continue to ferret out ways to reduce the cost of city services.

10. He has a simple common sense approach to city government and the people he represents.

- J Watkins

Uhhh... Didn't he increase taxes for 30+ years to pay for subways?

comicbookguy.jpg

"Ooh, your powers of deduction are exceptional. I simply can't allow you to waste them here when there are so many crimes going unsolved at this very moment. Go! Go! For the good of the city!"

This inbred hick needs to go back to doing his cousin.

Attachments

• comicbookguy.jpg
    comicbookguy.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 551
I just reviewed Soknacki's transportation policy, and strategic voting aside, if I were a Toronto citizen I would vote for him. He mentions many of the same critiques of The Big 3 that I have, and seems to have the strongest transportation platform in general. What he needs to do is focus his message on a few talking points that resonate with transit users: full DRL support, stop bunching, and fairer fares.

Right now his big talking point is reduced fares for early morning riders. While this may help a bit, how many people are going to want to get to work an hour or two early in order to save a buck on their commute?

Back