News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 803     0 

2007 Ontario Election: John Tory throws the Election!

I can't believe the Tories would let him run with that slogan, but I don't expect anything different from Hillier - he's the ex-president of the fringe farmers' group - Ontario Landowners' Association.

He's a bit of a nut, and should be an interesting loose cannon for Tory to deal with if he wins that seat.

but if Tory was leader of any other party, discussions might get quite confusing... it would turn into one of those "Who's on first" comedy routines...

You have to wonder if his loyalty to the Conservatives was formed when as a child he first heard them refered to as " The Tory Party"???

I have some vague recollections of others with names that didnt quite match their job title, but cant recall any just now... anybody else?

It's interesting about that riding, though. While it is obviously very conservative, it's currently represented by a Liberal.

Actually not--the seat was created through redistribution, so there's technically no sitting incumbent. The '03 Liberal plurality within these boundaries is the result of the big chunk represented by Leona Dombrowsky (who's now running next door)

Randy Hillier is a big promoter of "rural separartion" in Ontario.

As a city-dweller, and as someone who lived in Eastern Ontario for as long time, I would not mind one bit if Randy Hillier separated.

Tory bends on school funding
KAREN HOWLETT AND MURRAY CAMPBELL
Globe and Mail Update and Canadian Press
October 1, 2007 at 1:02 PM EDT

Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory says his contentious policy to fund faith-based schools will now go ahead only after extensive consultation with Ontarians.

“I have always believed that listening to the people is at the very core of leadership,†Mr. Tory said in a speech today to the Economic Club of Toronto.

He announced that he would hold a free vote on the policy, which would allow MPPs to vote with their conscience if the party wins the Oct. 10 Ontario election.

As the campaign enters the final stretch, the announcement marks a dramatic about-face from Mr. Tory's stance as recently as last week when he ruled out a free vote.

Ontario PC leader John Tory talks with Ontario Liberal candidate Kathleen Wynne prior to an all candidates debate in the riding of Don Valley West in Toronto Sunday. (Adrian Wyld/CP)

He announced the change following a conference call last night with his caucus and this morning with Progressive Conservative candidates.

The business audience greeted his announcement with sustained applause.

But one Progressive Conservative candidate has already broken ranks with his stand, with Hamilton East-Stoney Creek candidate Tara Crugnale telling the Hamilton Spectator that she “can't defend the policy as it stands now.â€

Ms. Crugnale told the paper she supports the ideology of faith-based funding, but wouldn't vote for the plan because it is not understood or supported by the electorate.

Mr. Tory has been under fire for a month over his proposal to spend $400-million to integrate private religious schools into the public system. The governing Liberals have said such a move would detract from the effort to improve the public system and are content to leave in place the constitutional provision that gives preferential treatment by providing public funds to Roman Catholic schools.

Mr. Tory has argued that bring other religious schools into the public system is a matter of “fairness†and “inclusion.â€

But the proposal appears to have bogged down his campaign. Conservative support in the polls has not budged during the campaign despite polls that show Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty is unpopular with many voters for breaking his 2003 campaign pledge not to raise taxes.

Mr. McGuinty was quick on Monday morning to comment on Mr. Tory's expected announcement, saying he would let Ontarians “draw their own conclusions about his judgment.â€

“I think what they are looking for is someone who's prepared to stand up for two million students who every day go to our publicly funded schools,†Mr. McGuinty said after a campaign stop at the Daily Bread Food Bank.

New Democrat Leader Howard Hampton said he hoped to turn this into a “real†debate on education, saying he believes parents are more interested in improving education than faith-based school funding.

Mr. Hampton said Mr. Tory's plan had created a problem that Mr. McGuinty had then used to distract voters.

“I hope we can spend the last 10 days (of the election campaign) actually talking about the real issues,†Mr. Hampton said at an event in Toronto. “Perhaps a real debate can begin now.â€

On Friday, a new poll showed Conservative support had dropping by two percentage points, an indication that Mr. Tory's core supporters may be abandoning him.

Some caucus members have been grumbling about the schools issue, saying that voters on the doorstep are resisting it. Veteran Conservative MPP Bill Murdoch said last week that he could not support the policy.

The promise of a free vote among Conservative MPPs is a recognition that the Liberals have succeeded in their attacks over the schools issue and that Mr. Tory is hopeful that he can defuse it as a campaign issue.

Mr. Tory has talked previously about reforming the rules of the Ontario legislature to allow for more votes by MPPs that are free from party discipline but he has not done so in the context of the schools issue.

With a report from Paul Waldie

makes more happy that i will not vote for him...

John tory must loose.

Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory says his contentious policy to fund faith-based schools will now go ahead only after extensive consultation with Ontarians.

"Hello, my name is John Tory and I'm backing away from this bad idea..."

Far from funding every religious school on the block, I'm for getting rid of the Separate School system. Other provinces have done it; it's high time we did, too. It sets a bad example and really does smack of inequality in this day and age. Anyone who wants their little darling to be hermetically sealed off from all the rest of society that they're going to one day have to deal with when they grow up can pay for it themselves. Don't expect society to fund its own social dismemberment.

but it's in the constitution!!! it's been that way since confederation!! you can't just change it!! you can't change things that have been one way for a long time! what are you? crazy?

BTW, does the catholic church still kill people who challenge their authority and insult god?

did they change their practice, which defies their logic or are they simply waiting for governments to collapse before they go on a killing spree? :p

The one thing the media lovers to cover more than a bad idea is a flip-flopper. Who are Tory's handlers and how did they let it come to this?

This is a political meltdown. Someone quick, pass the beer and popcorn.

Tory's never had a good run of luck in politics. First, he was Davis' right hand man when the Premier extended full funding to the Catholic board, setting us up for today's electoral mess. Then he ran Kim Campbell's disasterous campaign, followed by a failure in the Toronto mayoral elections against Miller, and now this. Granted he did help Mel Lastman get elected, but oy! what a mess.

The one thing the media lovers to cover more than a bad idea is a flip-flopper. Who are Tory's handlers and how did they let it come to this? This is a political meltdown. Someone quick, pass the beer and popcorn.
...not to mention the likelihood of losing his own riding. Most parties give their leaders at least two elections to prove themselves to the electorate, however I suspect Tory will only be getting one. Let the guessing games begin!

Back