News   Jun 17, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

2007 Ontario Election: John Tory throws the Election!

Don't confuse the voting system with politics

The politics change depending on the mix of people in the house and the mix of people in the house is determined by the voting system. Obviously a government which doesn't need to negotiate to get the authority it needs to carry out the leaders agenda has a completely different political situation than one which must negotiate to get the 50% support it needs. The other parties aren't going to negotiate on the hottest issue of the day. They might trade tax breaks or funding for a project or two but they will not negotiate on something extremely important to the electorate unless they feel the voting system protects them from being punished for going back on their word.

The politics change depending on the mix of people in the house and the mix of people in the house is determined by the voting system. Obviously a government which doesn't need to negotiate to get the authority it needs to carry out the leaders agenda has a completely different political situation than one which must negotiate to get the 50% support it needs. The other parties aren't going to negotiate on the hottest issue of the day. They might trade tax breaks or funding for a project or two but they will not negotiate on something extremely important to the electorate unless they feel the voting system protects them from being punished for going back on their word.

The politics also depends on the individuals, or the election issues at hand, or imminent tough decisions that have to be made in the near future, or any of a host of issues that could arise - big or small (and big or small can get quite a different rating from different individuals). The point is that one can't automatically assume that government will be more efficient, or stable or effective on any of these things on the basis of the voting system. In other words, vote for the electoral system you like, but don't do so on the assumption that it will improve aspects of political activity within Queen's Park.

In other words, vote for the electoral system you like, but don't do so on the assumption that it will improve aspects of political activity within Queen's Park.

exactly! we already got enough groups of goofs messing up this province, we don't need anymore. :)

Here's an election slogan for ya!

main02-1.jpg
main01-1.jpg

http://www.randyhillier.com/

good stuff guys, everyone seems to have this issue of public education figured out. I too would like to see the Catholic Board dissolved, but for the most part people are satisfied with the status quo.

some random thoughts....

I was baffled by Tory's argument during the first public debate that funding these religiously based schools would bring their curriculum into the public mainstream. Really though, the whole reason for their existence is to teach their own specific skewed interpretations of the world. From a fiscal point of view, this would only succeed in draining dollars away from mainstream public education, spreading it with a thinner brush so to speak. Socially too, it would be a step backwards, encouraging a defacto segregation....

I think McGuinty had a good basic point against Tory regarding Tory's apparent tax less and spend more platform... that would really send us in the wrong direction. I place a high value on fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets... perhaps I missed the items Tory planned to slash in order to make the numbers work?

One thing that McGuinty can rightly brag about is the peace and harmony that has existed with the teachers unions during his leadership. They were a big part of getting him elected the first time and will likely stick with him again.

To be fair though, I think all of the candidates this time around are respectable and would do a decent job. No Mike Harris or Ernie Eves to really get a hate on for. I think Tory is a decent guy with a fairly centrist position on most things. It would be nice to see the Green Party make some advances, but I am satisfied to give Dalton another term.

oh ya... and a big no to the referendum question on reforming the electoral system!!! All it will do is make the system bigger and slower. There would only be an illusion of better representation. In the end, public opinion rules on most issues... if you arent happy you wait till next election and vote for someone else.

What we need is good leaders, not more of them. Some benificent dictatorships work quite well actually...

Tory's fiscal projections are way out of line. His plan projects over $2 billion more in revenue than the Liberal plan -- coincidentally just enough to get rid of the health premium. He projects forward increases in revenue over the past four years, including the increase brought about by introducing the health premium!

Yeah. I'll take McGuinty anyday over Tory. For all his faults, he's at least fairly honest and hasn't messed things up badly at all. I've been disappointed that he hasn't done enough (on cities or things like education funding reform or university tuition fees, and only recently made the transit splash), and don't like some of his cabinet ministers, but it hasn't been that bad. I guess a criticism is that McGuinty is too eager to please, like the 401 renaming, or MoveOntario (where everybody's wish list came true, needed or not), or little things, like police lights or "Family Day".

I can't see Tory doing a good job. Like Ed said earlier, he'd be bad for Toronto as mayor judging by the way he's performing now.

Part of me would like to see the NDP gain balance of power with McGuinty as premier, though, just to get things like urban issues more prominant on the agenda. But I'll be OK with a Liberal majority again.

Pretty stupid on the part of the PC's to allow him to use such ridiculous slogan.

Hillier's riding is one of the most conservative in the province, and there is a tremendous amount of anti-Toronto sentiment out there - both towards the provincial government and the city itself.

If they tried to stop him, I doubt he'd listen.

It's interesting about that riding, though. While it is obviously very conservative, it's currently represented by a Liberal.

Back