News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 770     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dubai is doing some amazing things...lots of construction.

Would you want to live or work there...probably not. Unless you like having your passport held if your a westerner, or being a slave if your from a third world country...otherwise Dubai is great. Go Burj Dubai!!!

And the Canada Tower in London.

283589245_b6611b33a8_b.jpg

...and they have an entire neighborhood named after Kensington Market. It's crazy.

Remember: Olympia & York made Canary Wharf possible. So, naming it after the builder/developer's homeland...

...and the colonies name things after places in the UK. Go figure!

Re: Opposed to the current design?

Hi there,

This message is intended for those who prefer the original rendering for 1 Bloor St. E. The original rendering being referred to is the one released prior to the recent one. If you're a member of other message boards, you may have already read this message.

I, along with several others, have begun composing letters that we intend to send to Toronto City Councilor Kyle Rae, Bazis International, Burka Varacalli-Architects and others. In addition to articulating our genuine disappointment and frustration over the recently unveiled restructured design, the motivation behind our letters is to encourage the ‘powers that be’ to reconsider this design of 1 Bloor St. E. If we do not acquire the exact design of the previous rendering, which we are in favour of, one similar in nature, would be a better addition than the current one. Many of us are very excited about this project and supported it full-heartedly when shown the original rendering. We have since lost a great deal of interest in this and while we still encourage a tower of this scale and significance to be erected in this location, we understand the importance and blatant need for it to resemble the original rendering. Why? It is imperative that this tower be one that is progressive and innovated. A tower of excitement, refinement, sphere-shaped and one that achieves the towers partial purpose. Namely, to exude and generate excitement as well as rejuvenate and renew this area of town. Moreover, to have it add glitz and high style to the ‘classy’ region of Toronto – Bloor & Yonge/Yorkville. We do not believe that this will be obtained by the depicted tower currently made public. We do not want, yet another bland, generic, generally cement, balconied filled, sharp edged, semi-rectangular in nature tower.

I'm writing to ask if you would be interested in joining us in composing your own letter of counsel. We'll provide you with the e-mail addresses and web sites needed to forward your message to. With enough letters, we may very well get their attention and at the very least have them reconsider the current design for the best. If you're interested in joining us, please do! Please send me a private message or send us an e-mail at amoderntoronto@yahoo.ca You do not have to fill this thread with your show of support. If you're not interested, no worries. Either way, it's good to have so many interested in this project.

Cheers! :)

"Glitz" and "classy" are not classy words.

And doesn't the Bloor-Yorkville BIA prefer the term "the Bling District" anyway?

Now, I am tempted to write a letter to express my relief that Bazis International and other parties involved had chosen a design that exude a sense of self confidence, restraint and good taste, in contrast to the previous incarnation which seems to be more at home in Shanghai or Dubai.

Besides, I am sure a podium with glitzy neon ads of Addidas and iPods screams "classy".

AoD

We do not want, yet another bland, generic, generally cement, balconied filled, sharp edged, semi-rectangular in nature tower.

is that what you see when you're looking at this rendering? I'm sorry, but how many of these do we actually have in toronto right now anyway? (that happens to be over 200 metres.)

If you look at the most recent rendering it would appear that the building may not, in fact, be mainly concrete. The rendering gives the majority of the building a yellowish look which many may mistake for being concrete. However it may just be the lighting in the rendering that is giving creating this misconception.
If you notice the buildings surrounding 1BE are also yellowy pink.
Also, the balconies are not concrete, they are glass. So unless they are planning on erecting the building with yellow glass I highly doubt this will be what the structure actually looks like when it is complete.

As Bazis mentioned at their press release this is not the final rendering and that the building will more than likely go through at least one more re-design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back