News   Jul 19, 2024
 626     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.9K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 940     2 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I see them side-by-side I'm leaning towards the middle design. The latter design looks one step away from being another box.

The most recent rendering is fine, as long as it stays that way. Looking at the evolution of the renderings though, I fear that there will be another redesign... and it will end up looking like just another generic Toronto highrise.

the middle design is the safest since you can't fake glass with other materials too well. the 3rd design could actually have any type of the material the developer wants for all those balconies. if they wanted the highest possible standards it would be titanium, but i'm sure it will turn out to be shitty concrete and the whole thing will look like an overgrown, 21st century take on the toronto slab.

I was thinking the same thing. Remember Pantages? Its rendering had a big glassy curve, but it ended up being mostly precast and it still looks unfinished IMHO.

Rendering

The latest rendering in my opinion is very bad, and it would hurt my eyes to see that rise, the 2nd or the middle rendering is absolutely amazing, and it would be one of a kind if the building looks like that.

Re: Rendering

I agree that I prefer the second design. The most recent rendering is pretty unclear as to materials. I can see the whole thing being made of precast. It also seems very similar in design to the new B/A, Ritz, and RBC Centre. Can't we have a little bit of creativity here?

It just reminds me of on of those 80's slabs you see in Miami where there are concrete balconies. Its hard to say the design is nice when it has the look of a building that will not be nice when it is constructed. Thankfully its not finalized.

"I was thinking the same thing. Remember Pantages? Its rendering had a big glassy curve, but it ended up being mostly precast and it still looks unfinished IMHO."

I was thinking the same thing about Pantages tonight as I was walking down Yonge, to me it just does not look great, does not compare to Spire at all....I hope the Yonge and Bloor tower does not become a victim of cheapness and cost cutting because it has all the potential to become a landmark..

Yes I know it is our responsibility to be critical and demanding of our developers and urban planners. We must be constantly pressing for ever higher architectural and contextual standards, but please let's stop being so snobish and superior all the time and acknowledge that there is some pretty dam good stuff being built in old T.O. these days.

V of E really put it well. For example, the middle or second version of 80 Bloor East got a very lukewarm reception on this thread - until it was replaced. Now we seem to miss it.

"it is our responsibility to be critical and demanding of our developers and urban planners."

I'll agree with that part for sure.

Well I always liked the second rendering, not just after the third one came out!

All of those renderings still lack some really neat street presence.

Bland, but I love the height!

The middle rendering looks like an office tower- not a residential building- how can anyone call that "safe" when it comes to residential. I am not pining for the days of the first design, because that design looked misplaced and was garnered with colours more suitable for a warmer climate, say Miami- not to mention that little swooping hat...

The latest design is more conservative, yet retains a certain amount of the curvature to make it just that much more different than the ubiquitous Toronto box- It does however, show more of the character associated with a residential building/hotel than the second rendering.

Its all a matter of personal preference and opinion which tower is better or worse...so I will say no more..

p5

I still have a liking for the first 1BE design. I like the elliptical shape, the many setbacks, and the pointy spire.

To those who think the current incarnation of the 1BE design is still lacking in aesthetics, here's a brainstorming question: Which skyscraper design out there would you like at 1BE? Or which architect would you like to design 1BE?

Some suggestions (based on Google Earth models I've found at the 3D Warehouse) from the decent to the outrageous...

yorkville_eure.jpg

Eureka Tower, Melbourne (model by CMD)

yorkville_free.jpg

Freedom Tower (model by Google)

yorkville_times.jpg

New York Times Building (model by Google)

yorkville_bow.jpg

Calgary's The Bow (model by IntotheWest)

yorkville_hearst.jpg

Hearst Tower (model by Google)

yorkville_axe.jpg

Update: You asked for it... the Gherkin (model by frenchrogue)

I wish we got a building like the Bow, the Hearst building, or the Gherkin in Toronto!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back