News   Apr 23, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 617     0 

PATH Network Expansion (various, various, various)

I don't get it either, it would be quite easy to implement those safety features at the start of the ramp. Though sometimes even those aren't sufficient re; the recent Burlington Skyline incident.

very difficult to protect ourselves from truck drivers that get drunk in the middle of the day and then do what he did.

Pics of New Extension from Skywalk to Southcore
IMG_20141015_124525.jpg

IMG_20141015_124512.jpg

IMG_20141015_124516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141015_124525.jpg
    IMG_20141015_124525.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,176
  • IMG_20141015_124512.jpg
    IMG_20141015_124512.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,155
  • IMG_20141015_124516.jpg
    IMG_20141015_124516.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 2,150
^ ^ uh... why is there a wheelchair accessibility button for the stairwell... and on the wrong side of the accessibility door. Normally they are on pedestal things a few feet in front of the door.

Can't quite make it out, but it appears that the elevator entrance to the path does NOT have an accessibility door?

What gets me is the rather odd design decision to orient the glass panels at a slant and staggering them. It looks sloppy.

AoD
I am not the biggest fan of very modern looking structures, I think they lack a romanticism that you get with older buildings. (Why I need to live at some point in my life in Switzerland with my gf's family). In the case however, I think for once the city built a modern entrance, and it actually appears to be visually interesting to look at. I mean I get it, its all about symmetry with the glass, but I think in this case it actually works. If the angles were all straight and glass looking perfectly lined up, people would be complaining that it is too "Toronto plain" or too "Toronto Vanilla" At least for once, we can say it's off-angled nature makes it worth looking at, instead of simply being 100% utilitarian and nothing more. I also don't think the windows look sloppy, but hard to say until its used imo.

I am not the biggest fan of very modern looking structures, I think they lack a romanticism that you get with older buildings. (Why I need to live at some point in my life in Switzerland with my gf's family). In the case however, I think for once the city built a modern entrance, and it actually appears to be visually interesting to look at. I mean I get it, its all about symmetry with the glass, but I think in this case it actually works. If the angles were all straight and glass looking perfectly lined up, people would be complaining that it is too "Toronto plain" or too "Toronto Vanilla" At least for once, we can say it's off-angled nature makes it worth looking at, instead of simply being 100% utilitarian and nothing more. I also don't think the windows look sloppy, but hard to say until its used imo.

Actually I find this entrance to be overly utilitarian, in a very Toronto way - there isn't any elan or verve. This spot would have benefitted from an Apple level of minimalistic excellence, and this project didn't provide that. Throwing the "it looks different" bone through these obstructive design moves just hides the ultimate lack of sophistication in this project.

As reference, here is a good example of what one should strive for:

http://www.istructe.org/structurala...ing-excellenc/2014/glass-lantern,-apple-zorlu

AoD

Last edited:
Why did they install doors on the PATH entrance? It's gonna be too busy in rush hour to be propping them open all the time.

Why did they install doors on the PATH entrance? It's gonna be too busy in rush hour to be propping them open all the time.
Imagine the wind tunnel it would become without doors, not to mention protection from the elements, which is a major selling point for the PATH in the first place. There are sets of heavy closed doors between all different sections of the PATH that are never propped open due to the fire code (I think?) plus keeping them closed helps to control the HVAC-related pressure systems, which would otherwise escape out tunnels/doors that exit to the street.

They do slow down traffic a bit, but it's really not a problem. Traffic is usually only high during morning and afternoon rush hour and lunch, and people will keep jamming on the accessibility button to keep one door open anyway. The herds of sheep all funnel through this one open door out of a row of 12. Occasionally, one brave individual will break away from the pack and open another door manually (!), which births an alternate stream of traffic and they all get to feel good about themselves for holding the door open for one another.

Last edited:
Actually I find this entrance to be overly utilitarian, in a very Toronto way - there isn't any elan or verve.

AoD

I see verve in the stagger: the visual energy has to transfer from the upper frame to the lower frame to reach the ground. To my eyes it's a jarring and effective way to emphasize the structure required to defy gravity.

Not that I don't love the minimalist Apple Istanbul, Shanghai, or Fifth Avenue stores, and I would love to see such a clean cube/cylinder somewhere here in town, but I don't think it's the only solution.

Actually I find this entrance to be overly utilitarian, in a very Toronto way - there isn't any elan or verve. This spot would have benefitted from an Apple level of minimalistic excellence, and this project didn't provide that. Throwing the "it looks different" bone through these obstructive design moves just hides the ultimate lack of sophistication in this project.

As reference, here is a good example of what one should strive for:

http://www.istructe.org/structurala...ing-excellenc/2014/glass-lantern,-apple-zorlu

AoD

<Overly utilitarian would be the current path entrances and bridges (save for the Delta one). This is a step in the right direction. Unless apple feels like building an entrance there, you are not going to get an apple style entrence. I think this one fits well, and isn't either too simple or too over the top. As for the link, different scale, different setting, and why does it have to be apple related? Personally the big apple's apple store on 5th doesn't really impress me but to each their own.

I was walking down Lower Simcoe Street today and noticed a PATH sign on the on the new condo building on the east side of Lower Simcoe just north of L Lake Shore Blvd - Infinity. I did not have time to investigate it but the PATH map ( http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/economic_development_and_culture/docs/BIA Maps/PATH_map.pdf ) shows this as a "future connection" going east right to the Air Canada Centre. I assume the link across (or under) York Street is not yet open. Yes?

Wow I cannot believe I am just finding out about this thread now!

As most of you know, I have been a little obsessed with the PATH as of late. Just the other week I created a base map to plot out future PATH extensions. I extended the map north to Yorkville, west to Bathurst and east to Sherbourne. Enjoy!

G7Fl2ff.png

Last edited:

Back