825     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 521     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 256     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess now we know why Rob Ford flunked out of a Geography degree twice.

I wonder if it's too late for a FOI act request on his exam papers.

Wow, the Toronto Sun going after Ford again. Sue-Ann Levy must be losing respect in the Sun's newsroom. LOL

can you believe the article was by another 'reporter' than SAL ... Don Peat
... the ranks at the Sun must be bailing the Frod Nation ship pointing out RF's follies and foibles.

And while Ford is away 'creating jobs,' his staffers have stayed at home continuing to do their own 'jobs': http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cityhallpolitics/article/1258755--mayor-rob-ford-out-of-town-but-aide-and-city-car-appear-at-football-practice"

(Sorry, couldn't get link to work and am in a rush...)

A quote from Ford in Chicago (in National Post)

Quote from Ford re. Millennium Square, The Bean, etc., in Chicago:

“You go around the world, I’d love to say Toronto but people know Chicago more than they know Toronto. Why? Because they have iconic things like this. It’s amazing, they really have to come and see this stuff.â€

Ford can suck and blow at the same time. If anyone in Toronto put forward any really expensive initiatives like Millennium Square, it would go down as 'gravy' in the Fords' little minds. He has no clue that the whole effort cost a few political careers in Chicago, too.

Last edited:
Word at the water coolers around City Hall is that Ford will be called back to court next week to hear Justice Hackland's verdict. I don't know whether to interpret this quick judgement as good or bad.
Do we know it's the verdict, or have they been called back to court for another reason?

If I was Clayton Ruby and Ford had testified that he no longer used city staff to help with his football foundation, after what has come out recently I would be trying to reopen the case, and recall Rob Ford, and all the relevant staff, to the stand, to make a case that he has perjured himself.

Has anyone ever been to Essex County? It's flat. Essex, Kent and south Lambton counties are as flat as southern Manitoba! And just like Winnipeg, there's a small Francophone community.

Easy to get confused. :)

LOL ... i wonder how long it will take for RF to live down the Detroit-Manitoba gaff.

was it a little girl or adult lady that made the Detroit statement? there are conflicting reports.

To be open-minded ... is it possible that Ford was thinking Duluth instead of Detroit? There's also Detroit, Minnesota, that is just south of where the Ontario/Manitoba border meet.

The closest Canadian city to Duluth is Thunder Bay, Ontario.
City, yes ... but Fort Frances, Ontario (adjacent to the City of International Falls, Minnesota) is closer (about an hour closer) than Thunder Bay - and that's only about 80 miles as the crow flies from the Manitoba border.

Last edited:
Quote from Ford re. Millennium Square, The Bean, etc., in Chicago:

“You go around the world, I’d love to say Toronto but people know Chicago more than they know Toronto. Why? Because they have iconic things like this. It’s amazing, they really have to come and see this stuff.â€

Ford can suck and blow at the same time. If anyone in Toronto put forward any really expensive initiatives like Millennium Square, it would go down as 'gravy' in the Fords' little minds. He has no clue that the whole effort cost a few political careers in Chicago, too.

Indeed - from Wikipedia:

" (Millennium Park) far exceeded its originally proposed budget of $150 million. The final cost of $475 million was borne by Chicago taxpayers and private donors. The city paid $270 million; private donors paid the rest,[6] and assumed roughly half of the financial responsibility for the cost overruns.[7]"

If someone proposed to Rob Ford we spend $270M taxpayer dollars on a giant jellybean, he'd go apeshit.

(And BTW I love Millennium Park)

I would say his worship is fairly iconic in his own right. And his quote begs the question - just whose trade mission is he trying to run here?

AoD

To be open-minded ... is it possible that Ford was thinking Duluth instead of Detroit? There's also Detroit, Minnesota, that is just south of where the Ontario/Manitoba border meet.

If the name Duluth means anything at all to Ford I'm sure he thinks it's the name of a chocolate bar.

Despite the (deservingly) critical commentary in this thread I would still say Ford has a greater than 50 percent chance of being re-elected.

Indeed - from Wikipedia:

" (Millennium Park) far exceeded its originally proposed budget of $150 million. The final cost of $475 million was borne by Chicago taxpayers and private donors. The city paid $270 million; private donors paid the rest,[6] and assumed roughly half of the financial responsibility for the cost overruns.[7]"

If someone proposed to Rob Ford we spend $270M taxpayer dollars on a giant jellybean, he'd go apeshit.

(And BTW I love Millennium Park)

I don't think that is just Ford though (alhough yes he would). I am a semi-frequent visitor to Chicago.....a few years ago I took some friends (all Torontonians) to Millenium Park and the "bean"...they all raved about it and threw out that standard "we never do cool stuff like this in Toronto" line ....followed by "we suck, we should do things like this"....now they were mostly talking about the bean which on its own cost about $25 million.....in the accounting, the bean was paid for totally out of donations (ie. to make it seem like no tax dollars were used) but that just shifted the balance of the $475 million around.

When I asked if any of them would support paying =/- half of a $25 million cost for something cool like this...the answer is the same as usual "nah, we can't waste tax dollars on something like that"......we want everything every city has....we just don't want to pay for it. (my opinion of a generalized Toronto attitude).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back