364     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 529     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rejoice at the sight of mammo, ford(s), minnan-wong (~shudder~), holyday... slipping down the drain never to be seen again. Excuse me one moment I need to flush twice.

I would rejoice at the sight of mammo, ford(s), minnan-wong (~shudder~), holyday... slipping down the drain never to be seen again. Excuse me one moment I need to flush twice.
With turds that big, you may need to snake.

+ 1 ...
although the new low-flow toilets are efficient, i don't believe they're equipped to handle that much crap.

Holyday'll more likely retire. But if it's any consolation, both Mammo and M-W had stiffer challenges than many anticipated in '10...

From OpenFile:

After attacking reporters on radio, Rob Ford gets challenged to a debate

Posted by John Michael McGrath on Monday, September 17, 2012

If you haven't read David Hains' recap of the Rob & Doug Radio Hour (formally, "The City with Mayor Rob Ford" on Newstalk1010) then you may have missed where the Mayor and his brother Doug Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North) called out biased reporters, saying they should run for council if they want to criticize him.

Also in the radio show, Rob Ford also said he'd debate any of his critics. Ed Keenan of The Grid accepts:

I would like to debate you at any time that may be convenient to you.

I have a great idea: let’s book a hall, and we’ll sell tickets to watch the mayor of Canada’s largest city debate against me, some lowly, weekly media columnist used to offering opinions from the gallery. We can donate all the proceeds to the Ford Football Foundation, which I know you’ll agree is a good cause.

I will even be happy to let the you choose the topic for the debate. Here’s my suggestion: “Be it resolved that Rob Ford’s mayoralty has been disrespectful to the taxpayers and citizens of Toronto.” Or we could go with the proposition Doug keeps suggesting, “Be it resolved that no one in Toronto does more for black youth than Rob Ford.”

Twitter being Twitter, people are already volunteering to staff this debate. (The National Post's Steve Murray has volunteered to moderate, so we'll put him down if Steve Paikin refuses.)

And if Rob Ford refuses to show? Just one notion, but I strongly endorse Shawn Micallef as Rob Ford stand-in, based on previous performance.

I knew that wouldn't take long.

Word at the water coolers around City Hall is that Ford will be called back to court next week to hear Justice Hackland's verdict. I don't know whether to interpret this quick judgement as good or bad.

Scenario A) Guilty: Ford is clearly guilty and the Judge didn't even bother looking for a way out to allow the Mayor to keep his job.
Scenario B) Not Guilty: A quick verdict wouldn't show much contemplation on sacking a democratically elected Mayor so it must be that Justice Hackland will use one of the escape mechanisms to let Ford off what would be a too harsh punishment unfit for what amounted to no malice, just sheer incompetence.

Being deputy mayor, is it possible that holyday, walking sack of death that he is, could take over if ford is ousted? Or would it be subject to a council vote? Is there even a precedent for this?

Last edited:
Justice Hackland will use one of the escape mechanisms to let Ford off what would be a too harsh punishment unfit for what amounted to no malice, just sheer incompetence.

But it isn't just sheer incompetence or searing stupidity...those things are sadly perfectly legal. He demonstrated yet again his wilful and blatant contempt when his actions are in conflict with clearly stated laws.

His argument that his interpretation of what constitutes a conflict of interest is still correct even after it has been pointed out to him it isn't is contempt for the legal system, and not something any judge is going to sit comfortably with.

And the argument that any alleged ill-begotten gains all went to "charity", so what's the big deal is totally irrelevant. The law is the law...there's no such thing as the "ends justify the means" plea. Letting him off on those grounds is also contempt for the law.

It's also not a first offence...and unlikely to be his last. These are all things the judge must take into consideration.

Yea...any sort of "impeachment" of an elected official is always a tough situation, but upholding the integrity of the law is more important in the end.

On another note, I would also look into whether Ford is fit to "coach" in the first place. Isn't there a history of trouble there as well?

From Toronto Standard:

Okay. But in general are you enjoying your life post-mayor?

I’m lucky enough to be doing work I really believe in that’s making a very big difference and on top of that I coach my daughter’s soccer team and I’m able to catch my son’s events as well, and that was something I couldn’t do as mayor. It’s not possible, when you’re the mayor of Toronto to be present for your family when you always want to be. So I’m in a very lucky position to be doing some rewarding fulfilling work and seeing my kids grow up at the same time.

http://www.torontostandard.com/the-sprawl/qa-with-david-miller

Ouch.

AoD

Being deputy mayor, is it possible that holyday, walking sack of death that he is, could take over if ford is ousted? Or would it be subject to a council vote? Is there even a precedent for this?

It's been discussed thoroughly during the trial in this thread but the Cole's Notes is that the Deputy Mayor does not automatically become Mayor or even interim Mayor. Council can decide to call an election or choose a Councillor to fill the Mayor's role until the next election. The judge also has the power to call an election. If he rules that Ford is guilty, I expect that he will so that voters can decide Ford's fate.

The most important local precedent is arguably what happened with Hazel McCallion:

The mayor was also found guilty of violating the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act in the early 1980s for taking part in a council discussion about releasing 3,800 acres of land for development. The parcels included a five-acre plot she and Sam owned in the East Credit area.

Although McCallion refrained from voting on the part of the resolution that dealt specifically with her land, she did not excuse herself from the debate leading up to the vote -- a move a County Court judge in July, 1982, deemed a "bona fide error of judgment."

Despite calls for McCallion's head from John Graham, the former Streetsville mayor and political foe who took the case to court, Judge Ernest West refused to toss her out of office, saying she did not gain financially from releasing the land and had previously declared her conflict. The Ontario Court of Appeal later upheld the finding.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/toronto/story.html?id=2cdaa7a4-80da-4b03-a824-273c31c2b962

This could go either way. On one hand Rob Ford did not benefit financially from the ORIGINAL conflict. On the other hand, having said he would do it again and having actually voted on the issue in spite of being warned - on an vote which let him off of paying $3,000 (thus financially benefiting him), there's definitely a case to kick him out.

Ford obviously doesn't enjoy his duties as mayor. I wonder, if secretly he's hoping that the judge boot him out? That would give him an oppportunity to fade from public office, or continue his pig headed fight that he'll be back in 2014 just to show those pinko leftiest that the taxpapers of Toronto love him. And that's what all of this is about. Ford needs people to love him. Afterall he certainly didn't get any love growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back