News   Apr 24, 2024
 122     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 597     0 

Coffee Time

Also consider that Tim Horton's sells processed meats and "bakes" on-site, while Starbucks just makes coffees and drinks and has only fully-prepared foods onsite. Timmy's likely does well because the bar for entry (a high franchise entry cost and a high demand amongst potential franchisees) is so high. Second Cup is a surprise, as they don't deal with much more than Starbucks food-wise, even Timothy's is high. Perhaps it is the tight, corporate-owned nature of Starbucks that keeps it so low?

Yeah, I starting thinking about the "whys" as well and then I came to the conclusion that regardless of your business model, you should operate in a way that consistently follows the health codes.

Price-point was my first thought (perhaps those who charge more would be more able to afford resources to carefully monitor their health processes?) but this theory fell apart when I noticed that Starbucks has a great record, but Second Cup in a similar price range does not. Likewise, Tim Horton's has a great record but Coffee Time in a similar price range does not. I agree that the amount of leeway the individual franchise owners have might be the real factor.

Ah, it dawned on me, the poetic justice behind the most recent poster in the the Coffee Time thread being named "PukeGreen"...

New Lease for Coffee Time?

Coffee Time might not be quite dead yet. I notice that the outlet at Yonge and Gloucester has been completely renovated. It's almost inviting now, cheery even, in a down-market sort of way. At the very least, it doesn't have that creepy flophouse vibe anymore. So maybe the company is trying (very late in the game) to go upscale. Or maybe it was just one enterprising franchisee. Anybody seen any other Coffee Times with facelifts?

Haha, the best part of that was the enticing descriptive text above the coffee company logos:

"If you are at leisure, a cup of aromatic coffee can refresh your tiredness and make you feel much better. When you taste coffee, you are in fact experiencing a kind of mood, a beautiful coffee mood, and you are appreciating a kind of fashion and comfort at the same time. It is hard for you to forget it after you have a first try. At No. 2 airport building, BAFS serves a variety of coffee drink, including tasty mixed coffee Cappuccino brewed by Italian espresso and whipped fresh milk, and thick chocolate-flavored Mocha coffee, which is brewed by a combination of chocolate sauce, Italian espresso and whipped milk. Tasty coffee, unique decoration style, quiet and delightful environment and enthusiastic and considerate service all contribute to your complete leisure and comfort here."

Uh, yeah, that sounds like the Coffee Time I know...

Speaking of which, the location at 222 The Esplanade is undergoing renovations starting today. They've partially gutted the interior and a crew is in there vigorously working, but some are already repainting existing trim, so I suspect it will be more of a "freshening up" than a full scale reno. Anything will be an improvement at this point... apparently they re-open for Monday.

Oh, isn't that hilarious? It sounds a bit like Mr. Tweek describing the perfect cup of coffee.

The BCIA website (English version at least) doesn't appear to acknowledge the opening of Terminal 3.

Anyway, another crazy Coffee Time location is in Brampton, in front of the old Brampton Mall on Main Street. It is in an old gas station that has changed brands many times. The current owners are - get this - Sunrise Propane/Petroleum. That gives me at least one or two more reasons to stay away from Coffee Time.

ShawnTrawn - near the upper right corner of the bcia webpage linked above you will find a hyper-linked badge about Terminal 3.

Enjoy the tasty coffee!

True, but it mentions the phases of opening, as if it never happened yet. All the navigational aids and store/food directories are for T2 only. I hope T3 that would have better selections.

Coffee Time at Mutual St. and Dundas (Jarvis/Dundas) has closed down for 'renovations'.

Anyway, another crazy Coffee Time location is in Brampton, in front of the old Brampton Mall on Main Street. It is in an old gas station that has changed brands many times. The current owners are - get this - Sunrise Propane/Petroleum. That gives me at least one or two more reasons to stay away from Coffee Time.

I hope their coffee doesn't explode.

Coffee Time closure

There is a Coffee Time that just closed on the corner of my street. I'm quite happy about that.
I wonder what will replace it though....

The Coffee Time at King/Queen/Ronces has finally bit the dust. Chop off that extension and open a cafe with a large patio. Lots of good streetcar watching. I wonder if this is going to be another Eggsmart?

ctkq.jpg

Back