Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

^^^
Very true. I hope Kyle Rae is happy.

Based on the size of his stomach, I think he's definitely happy.

IMG_6415.JPG

I walked by there today and I think it might be a glassed in year round patio since the steel frame comes right out to the edge of the sidewalk. Unless they plan on putting outdoor seating in the laneway beside Ryerson.

Really??? why the heck does google maps say that corner of bay and dundas is/was a public park

There was an 8 or 10 level above-ground parking garage just a shave west of where Ryerson now stands and the cinemas were built underneath it, essentially on the ground floor of the parking garage. In later years (1983/84) Cineplex leased retail space one level below at mall level and added 3 more cinemas. The park you note began at the west side of the parking garage and extended to Bay street, and south to the Marriott hotel. Best Buy & Canadian Tire sit about where the park used to be.
The walkway between where Joey's is going and Ryerson is approximately what was there previously, before the parking garage was demolished to make way for the Ryerson complex.

It was never a public park AFAIK. It was always privately owned and intended for development.

Indeed. And at one point there was talk of putting a stadium for the Raptors there.

Been no work on this project since Feb and not good when it supposed to open within the next few months.

Another to add to the dead file and biting the dust??

The only work taking place is on the office tower.

Indeed. And at one point there was talk of putting a stadium for the Raptors there.

Also, a certain cinema mogul came close to inking a deal in the mid-80's to replace the cinemas next door.

Last edited:
Given the context of the area, I think a restaurant there would be great... and I already love that stretch of Dundas for its really wide sidewalks.

I hope it happens still.

JJ Mugs did very well there for years. With Ryerson next door and increased foot traffic along this section Joey's should do well, especially if they work a patio into the design.

Been no work on this project since Feb and not good when it supposed to open within the next few months.

Another to add to the dead file and biting the dust??

The only work taking place is on the office tower.

Still plenty of work taking place on the inside. You just cant see it from the outside.

Back