News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Cornell might be up there with Bloomington and Smart VMC for the most wasteful projects in the GTA. When will we stop building stuff that clearly doesn’t need to be built especially at the extremely under capacity that they usually get.
Actually Cornell is fine, and so is Smart VMC - don't tie these 2 with Bloomington. Whilst YRT absolutely has a service problem and they should increase service, Viva Purple is at the very least a competent Viva Line (other than the stupid split in the middle), and Cornell has a logical reason to exist. Its the terminus of a major Viva route located right next to a major hospital and acts as a hub for all of the surrounding Markham Bus Routes. Bloomington is just a park and ride in the middle of nowhere for a rush hour only GO line.

Actually Cornell is fine, and so is Smart VMC - don't tie these 2 with Bloomington. Whilst YRT absolutely has a service problem and they should increase service, Viva Purple is at the very least a competent Viva Line (other than the stupid split in the middle), and Cornell has a logical reason to exist. Its the terminus of a major Viva route located right next to a major hospital and acts as a hub for all of the surrounding Markham Bus Routes. Bloomington is just a park and ride in the middle of nowhere for a rush hour only GO line.
totally agree with that bloomington mausoleum . Even some shinkansen stations arent that ornate....

Are you referring to between Warden and Kennedy or at Yonge with Viva Orange?
It’s definitely the Warden and Kennedy split because we’re talking about Markham and Cornell. The Viva split at RHC is fine is ok at best but i think interlining service would definitely be better for Orange’s frequency.

Last edited:
Markham’s transit area has to be one of the most inconsistent in the entire GTA. At least Vaughan has Jane, Keele, Dufferin, Major Mack, Highway 7 and Bathurst (Steeles-Hwy 7 is surprisingly well served thanks to the TTC bus that goes to promenade and Viva Orange heading up for a brief period), Richmond Hill also has the latter 3, Bayview, and of course Yonge and they aren’t completely bad but definitely needs improvements.

Markham just has Highway 7 for the most part (and Woodbine/Leslie but that’s as close as you’re gonna get to at least a decent 15 min or better peak service). There’s practically no real frequent transit service near the Cornell area so i’m wondering how much this bus terminal would be utilized unless GO buses would stop here or if YRT gets serious and actually increase service overall on the buses that would serve the terminal. The last thing we want is another Smart VMC, which isn’t completely underutilized but extremely overbuilt for the service it gets.
bandicam 2022-07-15 20-16-17-789.jpg
bandicam 2022-07-15 20-16-43-863.jpg

Also it's interesting to know that service on TTC 129A McCowan North, Markham's busiest north-south bus route, was more frequent in 2003 compared to today. Does that make sense when the region is growing and congestion is getting worse?

How long is Viva Green/Pink going to be "suspended"? There should be more demand than ever in the current climate of ridership in comparison to how it was earlier this year.

How long is Viva Green/Pink going to be "suspended"? There should be more demand than ever in the current climate of ridership in comparison to how it was earlier this year.
We're not sure.

To be honest though, I doubt Viva Green is ever going to be unsuspended at this point. While the status of the new Viva routes is uncertain right now, I'm pretty sure if Viva Green reopens, it will be as the "new" Viva Green route that runs all day between Don Mills Station and York Central Hospital along Don Mills, Leslie, and Major Mackenzie.

To be honest though, I doubt Viva Green is ever going to be unsuspended at this point. While the status of the new Viva routes is uncertain right now, I'm pretty sure if Viva Green reopens, it will be as the "new" Viva Green route that runs all day between Don Mills Station and York Central Hospital along Don Mills, Leslie, and Major Mackenzie.
There's nothing to be uncertain about - YRT's messaging has been explicitly for the past 2 years that when Green returns it won't be on its original route.

Meanwhile, all of the stops are still there - as are the riders (and then some).

Dan

There's nothing to be uncertain about - YRT's messaging has been explicitly for the past 2 years that when Green returns it won't be on its original route.

Meanwhile, all of the stops are still there - as are the riders (and then some).

Dan
The reason I'm raising the uncertainty is just the fact that Viva Silver was supposed to open this year, and since the pandemic we have heard nothing about Viva Silver (or Viva Green for that matter), not even from their TMP documents. Now I'm no insider, so it's hard to know what YRT's short term service plans (actual plans not vague lines on a map) are but given the complete silence on Viva Silver and Green, the possibility of the rush hour services returning before the new routes (and by extension Viva Green) are implemented seems to be there.

The reason I'm raising the uncertainty is just the fact that Viva Silver was supposed to open this year, and since the pandemic we have heard nothing about Viva Silver (or Viva Green for that matter), not even from their TMP documents. Now I'm no insider, so it's hard to know what YRT's short term service plans (actual plans not vague lines on a map) are but given the complete silence on Viva Silver and Green, the possibility of the rush hour services returning before the new routes (and by extension Viva Green) are implemented seems to be there.
I know they say this every year but Im fairly confident we will get Viva silver soon. In the meantime, the entire Jane corridor will continue to receive better and more frequent transit, I guarantee it

With the amount of intensification happening along Jane, particularly near Vaughan Mills, and the new Hospital, Silver will have to start making more sense soon.

but.... It's also YRT, so..

Jane has among the very best service in York Region; which admittedly does not say much; but its existing service is already better than some of the VIVA services.

YRT is really the laggard at this point among the first-ring suburbs in terms of transit.

You have to get out to Halton to find worse.

Back