News   Mar 28, 2024
 967     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 838     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

There's nothing to be uncertain about - YRT's messaging has been explicitly for the past 2 years that when Green returns it won't be on its original route.

Meanwhile, all of the stops are still there - as are the riders (and then some).

Dan
As a small update, YRT released the Transit Initiatives for 2023 (https://online.flippingbook.com/view/798577140/) and as I thought, reintroducing Viva Green as is (at least in the short term), is very much on the table (Page 9):
1678490489402.png

For those who are interested though, there is nothing interesting in this document. Just some vague regurgitation about the Frequent Transit Network, and vague improvements to some bus routes. Not much to see here folks.

With the amount of intensification happening along Jane, particularly near Vaughan Mills, and the new Hospital, Silver will have to start making more sense soon.

but.... It's also YRT, so..

At this point, a subway extension from VMC to these points would be more believable than YRT making sense for once and expanding on their own.

Jane has among the very best service in York Region; which admittedly does not say much; but its existing service is already better than some of the VIVA services.

YRT is really the laggard at this point among the first-ring suburbs in terms of transit.

You have to get out to Halton to find worse.

The only other YRT service that is up there is... well Yonge, and would you look at that its the other corridor that will have a subway extension...

At this point, a subway extension from VMC to these points would be more believable than YRT making sense for once and expanding on their own.

The only other YRT service that is up there is... well Yonge, and would you look at that its the other corridor that will have a subway extension...
Viva Yellow is surprisingly also every 15 minutes for most of the day - similar to the Jane bus. Its kinda sad to see that Davis Drive has better bus service than Highway 7 West/Centre but whatever.

As a small update, YRT released the Transit Initiatives for 2023 (https://online.flippingbook.com/view/798577140/) and as I thought, reintroducing Viva Green as is (at least in the short term), is very much on the table (Page 9):
View attachment 460947

For those who are interested though, there is nothing interesting in this document. Just some vague regurgitation about the Frequent Transit Network, and vague improvements to some bus routes. Not much to see here folks.
This is the same text - verbatim, I think - that they've posted in the last transit initiatives document. It's certainly not news, and you'll note that nothing has changed at the street level.

From what I've heard inside of YRT, there is simply no interest in resuming the route on its former route. Efforts instead are being directed to getting the funding necessary for the service to resume on Leslie to Major Mackenzie instead, not on its former winding route via Warden and 7.

Dan

This is the same text - verbatim, I think - that they've posted in the last transit initiatives document. It's certainly not news, and you'll note that nothing has changed at the street level.

From what I've heard inside of YRT, there is simply no interest in resuming the route on its former route. Efforts instead are being directed to getting the funding necessary for the service to resume on Leslie to Major Mackenzie instead, not on its former winding route via Warden and 7.

Dan
This is true. Also, from what I hear the next service update will come in April, and have big changes for Jane

Regarding the YRT Final Copy 2023 Transit Initiatives, on pages 25-26 (28-29 in reader).

I’m rather disappointed by their decision to extend the 24 to Gormley GO (peak-only), instead of the 90 like they were originally planning on.

It would’ve made for a much more direct route from Don Mills Station, especially to access the parkland around Lake Wilcox (with a bike), which I found very hostile to people from out of the area - re: expensive paid parking, access to the waterfront being fenced-off on dead-end streets. And if you don’t like snakes, maybe not the best place. 😉

I guess some people would’ve taken issue to articulated buses running empty through farmland on Leslie…

(Edit: Note to Mods: Please move my post to this thread: York Region Transit: Viva service thread, if it’s more appropriate there.)

Last edited:
check out all the hwy 7 vivaastations... they dug out all the platform edges last month and just LEFT.... seriously whos the construction manager of this?! how incompetent are they that they would just leave a half done repair job sitting for weeks/months....They couldve easily have done this in a couple weeks If theyre not ready to rebuild the platform in 1 shot DONT DIG IT UP AND LET IT SIT!

check out all the hwy 7 vivaastations... they dug out all the platform edges last month and just LEFT.... seriously whos the construction manager of this?! how incompetent are they that they would just leave a half done repair job sitting for weeks/months....They couldve easily have done this in a couple weeks If theyre not ready to rebuild the platform in 1 shot DONT DIG IT UP AND LET IT SIT!
That's likely because the next stage is done by a different crew, and they are behind schedule.

Besides it's a municipal contract, what's the worst that can happen? Only authorized contractors can bid and there are only so many of them to go around. So odds are even if you screw it up you can get another job.

Also it's the municipality's fault for not outlining that in the scope of work when sending out the bid to have the project completed in such a way that minimizes interruption. And hire someone competent to manage that.

Does anyone know what this "extra lane" next to the southbound bus lane on Yonge St between Westwood Ln/Beresford Dr and High Tech Rd is for? Why are the lines dashed? Could it be to extend the length of the left turn lane in the future? Could it be for non-Viva buses to merge into the lane to turn left to Richmond Hill Centre Terminal?
1683445858738.png

Likewise for when the Markham York U campus opens in 2024 and when Unionville GO eventually gets frequent service (hopefully by the end of the decade, but things are sure moving slowly).

I feel like it is safe to assume, whatever YRT's flaws, that they will improve service to the York U campus, when it is there and that over the next 7 or 8 or 10 years they will be adjusting service to reflect the changes with the subway, which hasn't even started construction yet.

Likewise for when the Markham York U campus opens in 2024 and when Unionville GO eventually gets frequent service (hopefully by the end of the decade, but things are sure moving slowly).

I feel like it is safe to assume, whatever YRT's flaws, that they will improve service to the York U campus, when it is there and that over the next 7 or 8 or 10 years they will be adjusting service to reflect the changes with the subway, which hasn't even started construction yet.
Should be the next 7 to 10 months. 18 Bur Oak doesn't even run on Sunday. That's ridiculous. That never happens in Oakville, Burlington, Whitby/Oshawa or Hamilton. The 56 Gorham Eagle in Newmarket is the same. YRT needs to be brought in line now with the rest of the GTHA. There would be outrage if Brampton had the same schedules as YRT.

Does anyone know what this "extra lane" next to the southbound bus lane on Yonge St between Westwood Ln/Beresford Dr and High Tech Rd is for? Why are the lines dashed? Could it be to extend the length of the left turn lane in the future? Could it be for non-Viva buses to merge into the lane to turn left to Richmond Hill Centre Terminal?
Ya it's basically overflow for the left turn lane

Back