News   Mar 28, 2024
 107     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2022 Municipal Election: Council Races

So looks like it's more a sleeper than a status-quo snoozer--when nobody was looking, things shifted left. Of course, some races were status quo; but others weren't.

Ward 1: Crisanti, predictably given his previous service.
Ward 2: ho hum
Ward 3: lo and behold, Morley did it, she upset Grimes.
Ward 4: relative close call for Perks--but his main challenge was not from the right via Agrell, but from the left via Lhamo.
Ward 5: I had a hunch that Nunziata, like Grimes, might be in trouble, for real...
Ward 6: ho hum
Ward 7: ho hum (Mammo Jr earning a big so what as I expected)
Ward 8: ho hum
Ward 9: surprising landslide, though Bravo was pretty much "anointed"--and obviously a shift to the left from Bailao much more ergonomically befitting the ward (I *figured* a Tory endorsement wouldn't help Grant Gonzales in a ward like this)
Ward 10: basically, Malik winning like Cressy winning--though maybe Engelberg outperformed
Ward 11: Green vs NDP, w/Buxton Potts the woeful-underperforming monkey in the middle
Ward 12: ho hum
Ward 13: open seat ho hum (though Ward/Saxe/Engelberg make for an interesting downtown counter-NDP triumvirate)
Ward 14: ho hum
Ward 15: ho hum
Ward 16: Burnside = the Crisanti of the East
Ward 17: ho hum
Ward 19: Cheng over OBF & Lee; don't know what that means shift-wise, though maybe the closest thing to a right shift out there
Ward 20: not quite ho-hum--and just as I felt would happen, Lorenzo bombed, and Parthi was the primary opposition
Ward 21: unearned ho-hum, because of the mice running against Thompson
Ward 22: ho hummish, even if submajority
Ward 23: Jamaal marking an asterisked shift to the left
Ward 24: ho hum
Ward 25: ho hum

Decisive Victory here, though w/very low numbers, suggesting Cynthia Lai was probably nominally re-elected:

View attachment 434564

Of note here, this is a clear allegiance switch from the right of council to the left-centre.
Look at that vote tally. 5k votes=a win. Some councillors have 20k+ votes (Fletcher, Matlow). This will be contested. Not showing Lai's results is putting salt into the wound for the family.

Look at that vote tally. 5k votes=a win. Some councillors have 20k+ votes (Fletcher, Matlow). This will be contested. Not showing Lai's results is putting salt into the wound for the family.

This may provide reasonable grounds to have the election voided and a by-election held.

Given the amount of people in that riding it is fair to say there are going to be alot of angry voters.

Judging by these numbers it is not a fair election.

Confirmed upset of the night:

View attachment 434560
Absolutely love it, Buh-Bye! The only ward at the moment where the incumbent got the boot, strong move by the constituents in Etobicoke-Lakeshore I honestly didnt think it was going to happen.

Not familiar with Mark Grimes. Good or bad?
Way, way past his expiry date and not great. Yes he did some good for the ward, but for 20 years he's presided over massive growth in particular pockets of the ward to which he did absolutely nothing in addressing the massive infrastructure deficits. I dont think i've ever seen him campaign, so he's just thought he had it in the bag every time.

And let's not even start with the mess with him being the chair of the board for Exhibition Place.

Grimes getting the boot was the second biggest surprise of the night. The biggest? The blowout win for Bravo over Grant Gonzales, who had the support of Tory and MNTO. I was expecting a much tighter race there. University-Rosedale and YSW aren't yet determined as I write this, but damn, they're tight. Ward 5 YSW's outcome will mean a lot to how council will look and work over the next 4 years.

But with Patrick Brown winning easily in Brampton, and a council that looks like it'll work with the mayor (his backers on council all winning their seats, plus one or two more allies), Nick K. is not having a good night.

Grimes getting the boot was the second biggest surprise of the night. The biggest? The blowout win for Bravo over Grant Gonzales, who had the support of Tory and MNTO. I was expecting a much tighter race there. University-Rosedale and YSW aren't yet determined as I write this, but damn, they're tight. Ward 5 YSW's outcome will mean a lot to how council will look and work over the next 4 years.

But with Patrick Brown winning easily in Brampton, and a council that looks like it'll work with the mayor (his backers on council all winning their seats, plus one or two more allies), Nick K. is not having a good night.

Agreed w/all of the above...........and will add; almost anytime Nick K. is having a bad night, democracy is having a better one.

Last edited:
I'll put it very lightly, Nick Kouvalis is one genuine Glad Trash Bag. I'd never back any candidate who had him running the show, I dont care how nice and good they seem.

The *scale* of blowout was a surprise, but TBH I wasn't surprised that she'd have a solid win--from what I can tell, Gonzales' "reach" was limited beyond a circle of Tory-wonks, particularly relative to a ward as naturally left-leaning as Davenport. (As for Bailao, she simply benefited from an absence of viable left-opposition in '18.)

But Team Tory-ish "moderation" really blew it on an open-seat downtown council level--not just re Gonzales, but the embarrassingly distant 3rd for Robin Buxton Potts and even Siri Agrell being pushed into 3rd by, tellingly, a *left*-challenger to Gord Perks...

This is insane. There is no legitimacy here. The ward has a population over 100,000 people.

1666668475859.png

This is insane. There is no legitimacy here. The ward has a population over 100,000 people.

View attachment 434572

Given the size of the victory and its adherence to the rules set out, I'm not sure I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to see very Councillor and the Mayor elected with 50%+1 of those eligible to vote...........however..............back in the real world ....voter turn out can by abysmally low.

Take a look at Spadina-Fort York, downtown, Cressy's former ward.

No one died there......

But Malik is elected with a mere 7,979 votes in a 115,000 person ward.

Given the size of the victory and its adherence to the rules set out, I'm not sure I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to see very Councillor and the Mayor elected with 50%+1 of those eligible to vote...........however..............back in the real world ....voter turn out can by abysmally low.

Take a look at Spadina-Fort York, downtown, Cressy's former ward.

No one died there......

But Malik is elected with a mere 7,979 votes in a 115,000 person ward.
I know it's low turnout, though that Spadina-Fort York, ward appears to have many candidates with several thousand voters, so it's in part a number of candidates thing there, not thousands of voided ballots.

Back