News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 712     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Wait...so that isn't an entrance to Durham College??
That’s what makes this event dumber. The campus isn’t even nearby.

Metrolinx crapped their pants with this one. And why would a public institution go for naming rights? If I was a student I’d be pissed.

I had always wondered about this! Do you know if there are any public records available for how much and how these property taxes are administered? And how far does it extend to "all the railways" - for example, does MX pay property tax to municipalities?
I don’t know of any documents but one recent public example was the Orangeville Brampton Railway. Orangeville paid about $400,000 per year in taxes to Caledon, Brampton, and Mississauga for a 55 kilometre railway. I believe the railways are subject to the going property tax rates of the subject municipalities.

I strongly disagree with naming stations like this:
And this is why I have zero faith in Metrolinx for naming a transit station (as if the station names on Eglinton weren't a big enough debacle, hello Eglinton station on the Eglinton line, or renaming Eglinton West needlessly, or a station name like "Fairbank" which to this day I can't remember where it is).

And this is why I have zero faith in Metrolinx for naming a transit station (as if the station names on Eglinton weren't a big enough debacle, hello Eglinton station on the Eglinton line, or renaming Eglinton West needlessly, or a station name like "Fairbank" which to this day I can't remember where it is).
What's hilarious to me about this was that the entire point of station name sponsorship was to raise revenue for the province. Durham College is provincially-funded, so they basically gave away the naming rights for net-zero revenue (when you zoom out beyond the Metrolinx budget).

^ the City of Brampton wants one there. It showed up on a Metrolinx Station planning map/report to the Board years ago.

much like Markham's requested station at Major Mackenzie, just 1km from Mount Joy.. Not all municipal request can or should be granted for stations.

This tweet is still up but the tweet from the main @Metrolinx account has been deleted....

The comments in that Tweet were 100% negative. People really hate when you rename things. An unnecessarily confusing name choice just adds to that.

I'd like to think the reaction will make Metrolinx reconsider, but apparently the people in charge don't care.

much like Markham's requested station at Major Mackenzie, just 1km from Mount Joy.. Not all municipal request can or should be granted for stations.

The planned density for this area is significant, higher than say Mount Pleasant.

One can't have GO stations everywhere, but this one may have a sound basis at least for consideration.

- Paul

I always assume if we are planning for stations now, they should be spaced according to the tech we are going to employ. With electrification, what’s the minimum stop spacing we should have? The number of stations should then work backwards from there. I imagine EMUs have different capabilities than electric locos, but both are better than current diesel operations. And in Markham, the Stouffville line will be fully electrified, no?

b) Durham College is a government-funded entity, so this is money from one government agency being fed to another.
I'd assume it's being done out of donations or endowment funds or something, rather than direct government funding.

Still seems like an awful idea - at least while the college isn't anywhere near the station. Why not name St. George station for York University - because that's where you have to change!

It's a slippery slope once you start adding university (let alone college) names to stations. Look at the absurdity in Montreal that's happened since Université de Montréal opened - and they didn't even get any money for that own goal.

Back