News   Apr 18, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Minister Mulroney and Ford making an announcement in Hamilton Tomorrow of some sort.

My bet is start of construction on Confederation GO - apparently construction trailers have shown up on site recently.
If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Confederation GO. After many years of delay, it will be quite exciting to see it start.

If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Confederation GO. After many years of delay, it will be quite exciting to see it start.

If only they would announce running (more) service to the stations they already have; it would be an excellent complimentary announcement! LOL

I don’t know of any documents but one recent public example was the Orangeville Brampton Railway. Orangeville paid about $400,000 per year in taxes to Caledon, Brampton, and Mississauga for a 55 kilometre railway. I believe the railways are subject to the going property tax rates of the subject municipalities.
It would have been nice if those municipalities forgave that tax so that the railway could keep operating. Faliure to think outside the box.

It would have been nice if those municipalities forgave that tax so that the railway could keep operating. Faliure to think outside the box.
They can't. The Municipal Act prohibits it. I'd only be guessing but suppose the thinking is that, if an exemption/reduction is granted, it sets municipalities against each other in a race to the bottom, and puts other taxpayers, including possibly competing other industries, in the position of subsidizing a particular industry.

They can't. The Municipal Act prohibits it. I'd only be guessing but suppose the thinking is that, if an exemption/reduction is granted, it sets municipalities against each other in a race to the bottom, and puts other taxpayers, including possibly competing other industries, in the position of subsidizing a particular industry.
Trucks drive on roads that are paid for with taxes. Why can't railways? Or what if they invested that money to improve the railways performance in the form of a grant? There are ways to shuffle money around.

Trucks drive on roads that are paid for with taxes. Why can't railways? Or what if they invested that money to improve the railways performance in the form of a grant? There are ways to shuffle money around.
If nothing else, roads are publicly-owned property; private railways are not.

You chided the municipalities for not thinking "out of the box". I provided a reason why they can't. Without researching, I would think providing grants, which are funded by taxpayers and/or other levels of government, to a for-profit company might be problematic as well. Shuffling money around is cool - so long as it is legal and transparent.

If nothing else, roads are publicly-owned property; private railways are not.

I would favour, as in the case in several countries, the state owning the track, and operators (private or public, owning their rolling stock, maintenance facilities, and being responsible for marketing/administration etc. )

This is comparable to highways/trucking companies. The government owns what is driven on; but not the vehicles doing the driving, nor does it pay the drivers.

Without researching, I would think providing grants, which are funded by taxpayers and/or other levels of government, to a for-profit company might be problematic as well.

I would agree it can be problematic, and probably shouldn't be done; but then add its done all the time, both by senior governments and by the City.

The provincial press releases are endless...........

Lets look at what this one presser entails;

1665024708130.png

I would be perfectly happy to nix all of the above and ask why a for-profit business is asking for a hand-out...........but I'm simply pointing out that such is far from rare.

Its also a thing at the municipal level in several ways.

The most notable would be the IMIT grants in Toronto to developers of office space ( a typical subsidy being worth tens of millions of dollars).....

But there are also 'Tower Renewal' programs,broadly seen as a social good; but which do serve to subsidize private, for-profit landlords.

For all of that, I agree with you that having government pick winners and subsidize for profit businesses is generally a poor idea.

I always assume if we are planning for stations now, they should be spaced according to the tech we are going to employ. With electrification, what’s the minimum stop spacing we should have? The number of stations should then work backwards from there. I imagine EMUs have different capabilities than electric locos, but both are better than current diesel operations. And in Markham, the Stouffville line will be fully electrified, no?

The challenge with this question is that it's a catch-22.

The current plan proposed by ONXpress is to not use any EMUs, which is presumably justified by the fact that stations aren't that close together.
But then, in the absense of EMUs, the net time added per station stop is higher, negatively impacting the business case for new stations.

If only they would announce running (more) service to the stations they already have; it would be an excellent complimentary announcement! LOL
Apparently the announcement is on Centennial Parkway, so it's almost certianly about Confederation GO.

Regarding service, we have been hearing rumblings about 30 minute service to West Harbour but we all know that they are limited by staff! I have seen that they apparently are introducing extra trains for sports events again on the Lakeshore lines which hopefully means the staff crunch is easing a bit and they can actually start increasing service to summer 2021 levels again..

Regarding service, we have been hearing rumblings about 30 minute service to West Harbour but we all know that they are limited by staff! I have seen that they apparently are introducing extra trains for sports events again on the Lakeshore lines which hopefully means the staff crunch is easing a bit and they can actually start increasing service to summer 2021 levels again..
Extending the other half of 30-minute trains to West Harbour wouldn't add any staff time, because the existing timetable already includes the time for 30-minute service to West Harbour, as I described earlier.

Apparently the announcement is on Centennial Parkway, so it's almost certianly about Confederation GO.

Yep: https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1002369/ontario-begins-construction-on-confederation-go-station

Back