News   Apr 23, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 870     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 485     0 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

LOL, I was just glancing back at Post #1 in the thread to see how long this iteration of the idea had been ongoing.

Mx first released renders teasing this project in March 2011; so 10 years.

Assuming they start construction next year, as suggested, and complete within 1 year (ambitious, aren't I?), it will have taken them 12 years from render to opening.
And before this iteration, the designs go all the way back to 1987: https://stevemunro.ca/2009/12/31/history-of-the-dundas-west-go-connection/

Even that blog post is 11+ years old now.

As I said in another thread last year, Roncesvalles might be a good name, particularly if it was decided to also rename (and presumably re-number to adjoin the existing Roncesvalles Ave) that north-south stretch of Dundas Street, which I think would make sense anyway. There's already other TTC subway stations using the names of Bloor and Dundas, and another intersection of Bloor and Dundas (Six Points area) that sometimes confuses people.

You joke but the city created "Dunbloor" street where Bloor and Dundas intersect at 6-Points, so "Bloordas" is the logical name for where they intersect here.

I like "Roncesvalles" if the street name is extended north from where it ends. That or we could name the station "Crossways."

And before this iteration, the designs go all the way back to 1987: https://stevemunro.ca/2009/12/31/history-of-the-dundas-west-go-connection/

Even that blog post is 11+ years old now.
You can go back even further than that for plans.

When GO inaugurated their service to Georgetown in Spring 1974, not only did they earmark the station at Bloor as having a "future connection" to the subway, but they even expected it to be built before the end of the decade. Seems that they missed that mark by a tad...

Dan

You can go back even further than that for plans.

When GO inaugurated their service to Georgetown in Spring 1974, not only did they earmark the station at Bloor as having a "future connection" to the subway, but they even expected it to be built before the end of the decade. Seems that they missed that mark by a tad...

Dan

Toronto transit planning incompetence is a historic tradition!

Toronto transit planning incompetence is a historic tradition!
The Crossways high-rises was completed in 1974, the same year that GO Transit started to Georgetown with a Bloor GO Station. Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth Subway) opened in 1966, so they didn't know of any plans for a GO Train around Dundas West Subway Station. The closest train station was at West Toronto CP station at Dundas West and Dupont, which closed October 28, 1978, demolished November 25, 1982.

west_toronto4.jpg

See link.

Is it confirmed that the tunnel will not connect to The Crossways?

I ask because i'd like them to be punished to the fullest extent and reap absolutely no benefits from this for delaying this project for ~30 years.
I know you're kidding, but the sad thing is that the lack of this connection just hurts the residents of the Crossways, who've spent 30+ years having to cross the car sewer that is Dundas West to get on the subway.

They have been "designing" the connection for +30 years. They only get started designing next year?

For the record, there is a conceptual design already done, I'm not sure to what level, but I'd guess at 30%, that's enough to know exactly what they needed in the easement they moved to expropriate.

What is still required is detailed design to produce tender-ready documents, and then construction drawings.

In some ways I’m glad that it waasn’t designed and built back before RER came along. Had it been designed back when GO was a peak only service, it might have proved a bit too rudimentary for the hub that is being built today.

Should have been ready for the GTS/UP completion in 2015, however.

- Paul

Back