News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

A follow-up about the new dedicated bus lanes:

TTC 'transit priority' plan could give buses exclusive lanes on 5 major roads

toronto-ttc-list-of-priority-routes.jpg

The TTC wants to convert five major Toronto roadways into transit corridors — a bit like what now exists on King Street downtown — in a bid to move more people, quickly.

The transit agency said in a report it will study this proposal over the next five years. The phrase to keep an eye on: "transit priority."

The changes on King Street were controversial, but after a year council voted to make the pilot project permanent after finding it shortened travel times for transit users while increasing ridership on the route.

Here are the bus routes the TTC is now eyeing up for priority treatment:
  • Eglinton Avenue East
  • Dufferin Street
  • Jane Street
  • Steeles Avenue West
  • Finch Avenue East
Some of those routes — like Finch — are supposed to get light rail lines in the future.

I hope more bus-only lanes would follow rapidly.

Curious if these bus lanes are more like car pool lanes like on Don Mills right now, or are they completely separated. Also, will they be widening streets where there are only two lanes each way (like Finch E)? If so, that seems like a tall task to complete by September.

Road widening is not being contemplated at all with the possible exception of 1 or 2 queue-jump lanes.

I expect some bus stop rationalization, some transit-priority at traffic lights, new/expanded parking restrictions and maybe some transit-exclusive lanes.

I caught two of the Fexities on Kingston road yesterday at Bingham loop.

The 503 is back with streetcars (since the new Board period started on 21st) and the TTC only run Flexities so you will see them all summer. (I think they will be replaced by buses again when Bathurst returns to Flexities.)

From this story:

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said that the train was immediately pulled from service on Friday after the graffiti was first discovered.
He said that while there were no surveillance cameras on the train, witnesses have come forward and provided a description of a suspect.

I am apparently under the mistaken impression that all of the Rocket cars had surveillance cameras. Apparently not? Or is he fudging and really means to say "none of them are working"?

EDIT: never mind. I see now this was on Line 2 so it wasn't a TR. They threw me off by using a photo of one.

Last edited:

From this story:

I am apparently under the mistaken impression that all of the Rocket cars had surveillance cameras. Apparently not? Or is he fudging and really means to say "none of them are working"?

EDIT: never mind. I see now this was on Line 2 so it wasn't a TR. They threw me off by using a photo of one.
CP24 really needs to find correct photographs rather than relying too heavily on stock photos (this one is from the Canadian Press, who should know better since the Canadian Press is one of the most reputable news organizations in the country).

It's unfortunate that there are quite some people in Toronto who are openly sympathetic to the KKK.

From this story:

The old trains on Line 2 may or may not have surveillance cameras depending upon how long the TTC will want to keep the older trains. "The replacement fleet for the T1s will not begin to arrive until 2026 with the order spread out to 2031."

From link.

The replacement fleet for the T1s will not begin to arrive until 2026 with the order spread out to 2031."
Is the TTC still buying new trains for Line 2? Last time I checked, they decided to refurbish the existing T1's an additional 10 years.

Is the TTC still buying new trains for Line 2? Last time I checked, they decided to refurbish the existing T1's an additional 10 years.

Unfunded in the last budget; but they were back to new trains along with the ATC project.

As I was shooting a number of site and driving to them, I noticed the subway shuttle buses were very empty. The most I saw was 13 and the rest were under 10 to the point a lot of out of service buses going in both direction with no one one them. The last bus that past me, I counted 5 riders on it. This was around 1 pm and could be reason for low numbers.

If the ridership remain low for the next few months, I would push for closing the Yonge line between St Clair and Eglinton in Aug to deal with the Davisville issue, even if means 2-3 week closure. Ridership will be a lot higher south of Eglinton compare to the last 3 days south of Finch.

Had a look At Bathurst Loop today and it is the fastest track and switches replacement I has seen so far. 2 TTC crews working on splicing rail at 2 location in the loop area.

All the track and switches north of the loop to southbound switch as well some tracks south of it is ready to have the top coat pour. The north end stills needs to be splice to the old tracks. Tracks including the northbound switch to the loop is ready to have the rails and road dug up.

Hard to say what stage the tracks are at in the loop area as too far away to get a clear view of them, but looks like it ready for concrete.

At the rate they are going at, wouldn't be surprised to Bathurst and the loop open by the end of July.

Back