News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 320     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 683     0 

Jarvis and Dundas

Back on topic...

The Good Earth coffee shop at the base of Pace is closed and is also for sale. It was closed before for a few months before re-opening. I stopped in a few times, but was always disappointed with their product. I didn't try the food, but it never looked appetizing. Once Tim Horton's re-opened across the street at Grid, there was no hope for Good Earth. There's great coffee just two doors down at Pop Coffee Works, but they don't do food really, and they aren't open late.

Building permits are up at the retail space at the bottom of HOEM - they're for a restaurant of some kind, though I don't think it's that big of a space. We don't need another coffee joint. Can I hope for a return of Tacos 101?

My wife liked Good Earth, she would stop there occasionally.. it was more of a proximity thing than anything though, she was planning to switch to Starbucks across the street when it opened in Dundas Square Gardens anyway.

Back on topic...

The Good Earth coffee shop at the base of Pace is closed and is also for sale. It was closed before for a few months before re-opening. I stopped in a few times, but was always disappointed with their product. I didn't try the food, but it never looked appetizing. Once Tim Horton's re-opened across the street at Grid, there was no hope for Good Earth. There's great coffee just two doors down at Pop Coffee Works, but they don't do food really, and they aren't open late.

Building permits are up at the retail space at the bottom of HOEM - they're for a restaurant of some kind, though I don't think it's that big of a space. We don't need another coffee joint. Can I hope for a return of Tacos 101?

Their baked goods were actually quite tasty and their coffee was much better than Tim Hortons, but yes, they never really recovered from the initial closing and obviously couldn't compete with the Tim's across the street. Good Earth never really found their clientele: it was too expensive for the Tim's crowd but lacked the character and craft coffee of places like Pop, Mast or Page One.

My partner and I are hoping a good NYC-style bagel shop will open up; a cozy pub with a good selection of craft beers and ciders would be nice too - or a fruit and veg and flower stand. Not holding our breaths though, LOL. I'm sure it will be Starbucks a bank and a drug store.

The area is well overdue for some half-decent restaurants. With 2,000 people about to move into Dundas Square Gardens the local population is going to skyrocket, I'm hopeful there will be some more openings soon.

My wife liked Good Earth, she would stop there occasionally.. it was more of a proximity thing than anything though, she was planning to switch to Starbucks across the street when it opened in Dundas Square Gardens anyway.

I didn't know Starbucks was opening in DSG. They just closed the Jazz (Church/Shuter) location.

According to the city's building permits site, the restaurant moving in to the retail unit at HOEM will be a sushi joint. No word on the tenant, though.

So far, only Starbucks can be confirmed for DSG. There are several retail units in that building (it appears PDI has started), so hopefully the corner will see more life again. I admit to missing the takeout Pizza Hut.

The Starbucks in Dundas Square Gardens has opened and appears to be attracting steady business; meanwhile, it looks like the old Good Earth space in Pace is being replaced by yet another coffee shop called Nana. There's already a Tims in Grid, POP Coffee a few doors down on Jarvis, plus Page One and Mast on Mutual and Shuter respectfully ... that's a lot of different styles of coffee in the neighbourhood. I wonder if they can all hold out? Page One will have a rough go with Ryerson still closed for the foreseeable future. I wish the Good Earth/Nana space was another Boxcar Social, or something in a similar vein of bar/cafe.

Curious to see how the coffee shop cluster will turn out. Ryerson students not presently in the area will have an impact on demand for sure. And apart from 222 Jarvis, which will likely see large amounts of work from home too, there's no major office space in the area. There are more residents now in the area from the DSG building which should help, also if people are WFH are going for coffee runs.

The old Mutual Street Deli (which didn't last long as a Greek restaurant) now has AGCO application signs up for a Cannabis shop - to be called "Canna6is" (ugh). Another AGCO application in progress is just a few steps away at the craptacular "Max Condos" at 75 Mutual Street, for "Purple Haze."

I assume they're both going after the student market (or perhaps the sketchy element), but two proposed pot shops right here? Yonge Street is only a few minutes' walk. I just want Tacos 101 back.

Back