News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

Jarvis and Dundas

Some more retail shuffling is happening in the neighbourhood:
  • Just in case it wasn't clear that Dundas & Jarvis is on the up-and-up, gourmet butcher 'Butcher Boutique' is moving into 75 Mutual (formerly Purple Haze cannabis). The building has been re-painted black and a new mural has gone up. I'm excited!
  • The Anarchist coffee shop, in the former POP Coffee spot, is closing at the end of the month.
  • Avenue Cafe + Bistro is opening up in the seemingly unlucky corner spot in PACE condos. Their signage has been up for months, but it looks like some new furniture etc. has been delivered recently.
View attachment 476795

I look forward to your report once these new establishments have opened!

The area is will get about 1000 new units of housing in September so I think that bodes well for business.

Some more retail shuffling is happening in the neighbourhood:
  • Just in case it wasn't clear that Dundas & Jarvis is on the up-and-up, gourmet butcher 'Butcher Boutique' is moving into 75 Mutual (formerly Purple Haze cannabis). The building has been re-painted black and a new mural has gone up. I'm excited!
  • The Anarchist coffee shop, in the former POP Coffee spot, is closing at the end of the month.
  • Avenue Cafe + Bistro is opening up in the seemingly unlucky corner spot in PACE condos. Their signage has been up for months, but it looks like some new furniture etc. has been delivered recently.
View attachment 476795
Anarchist not making enough profit, it seems!

The area is will get about 1000 new units of housing in September so I think that bodes well for business.
And dilutes the insane, addicted and homeless demographic into a larger pool of sane, sober and housed people. I’m not for displacement, but dilution? Absolutely.

The Anarchist is not shutting down at the end of May and will continue operating afterall, at least in the near term. 🤷‍♂️

That's great news; it functions as a great neighbourhood coffee shop. It would be nice if the full space was available for use again though, as it can get really crowded in there. (The owners of the unit walled off half of the original coffee shop during the pandemic as a room to rent to estheticians).

Just a few pix from along Gerrard East around Jarvis. New café on the north side west of Jarvis and one of the Anishnawbe buildings has sold. There seem to be fewer tents in the park.

And as I am a weak person I bought a custard pastry at ConcilLab at Gerrard and Berkeley. 😔

IMG_6957.jpeg
IMG_6958.jpeg
IMG_6960.jpeg

I looked up info on 179 Gerrard East (Anishnawbe Health) and saw that it was marketed as a development site. Though the facade is beautiful and protected the interior has been heavily renovated and could be torn down with no one shedding a tear. There are many interesting projects that use the back part of a lot to put up a building to pay for a detailed renovation of a heritage structure such as Casey House and the condos near Sherbourne and Bloor.

How does one find out who bought it?

Last edited:
Some neighbourhood updates:
  • Avenue Café & Bistro in the north-east corner of Pace Condos still hasn't opened. I haven't seen anyone in there in months.
  • Butcher Boutique at 75 Mutual was short lived and closed a few months ago. They sold some frozen items but their main product seemed to be US and Japanese beef, nothing local.
  • The medical spa in the base of Max condos on Mutual has opened, but unfortunately the windows are covered with film.
  • The corner of Dundas and Mutual has working traffic lights! It definitely makes crossing a lot easier, especially when on a bike.
  • Charcoal Kebab House Uyghur Cuisine is opening up in the space south of Page One in the Merchandise Lofts - a nice culinary addition to the neighbourhood. When I peeked in today it looked like they're opening up room in the rear for sit-down dining. The space was a Subway back in the day but none of the more recent tenants - sushi, Indian, tacos - have lasted long.
  • Afro's Pizza opened up (last year, actually) at 107 Mutual just north of Plug Cannabis. The guys that run it were trained as French chefs, and their creative, Detroit style deep dish pizzas have become Friday night favourites in my household.
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG

Great update. I look forward to more openings as several new condos begin filling up and retail gets leased.

Back