News   Apr 22, 2024
 802     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 676     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The conservatives have changed completion to 2028 I thought no? The 2025 date was an aggressive date from the start, the Liberals were going to pay big premiums to get it done by then from my understanding.. the Conservatives brought it back to a "reasonable" construction schedule.

^ I can't recall but I wonder if the 2019-20 Metrolinx business plan (I think that what it's call) indicates the change?

It still kinda mentioned the date in the text:

"Service on the Stouffville line will increase 400% by 2025, including even more frequent service during middays, evenings and weekends. "
bet you they didn't notice it, and forgot to remove it

The connection track is now in per this article: https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/n...to-hamilton-s-west-harbour-station-but-when-/

Online "rail fan" forums are buzzing about the track work as well as rumoured schedule changes, including suggestions two extra morning train departures from West Harbour are coming later this year.

A reference to us? ?

It still kinda mentioned the date in the text:

"Service on the Stouffville line will increase 400% by 2025, including even more frequent service during middays, evenings and weekends. "
They've removed the diagrams showing the frequencies too i noticed

The conservatives have changed completion to 2028 I thought no? The 2025 date was an aggressive date from the start, the Liberals were going to pay big premiums to get it done by then from my understanding.. the Conservatives brought it back to a "reasonable" construction schedule.
By "reasonable", do you mean "effectively cancelled"?

where are you getting that idea? Surely the increase in service literally yesterday shows that the PCs are still at least somewhat committed to it? My understanding is that the scope has been scaled down a bit for "value for money", but that the plan is still going ahead.. They issued the RFP for the main RER package in May, well after the Liberal mandate ended..

Let's look at 1990s briefly -- where there was a major amount of service cancelled (major GO scalebacks, and complete disappearance of some GO rail routes).

where are you getting that idea? Surely the increase in service literally yesterday shows that the PCs are still at least somewhat committed to it? My understanding is that the scope has been scaled down a bit for "value for money", but that the plan is still going ahead.. They issued the RFP for the main RER package in May, well after the Liberal mandate ended..

It feels like cancellation to some but it is not like the GO scalebacks of the 1990s.
GO electrification is much further ahead today than the cancelled GO ALRT.

That 1970s GO electrification never reached the RFP stage.

Today, there are actual teams pre-qualified for GO electrification.
  • EnTransit
  • MTR Kiewit Partners
  • Oncore Transit
  • ONxpress Transportation Partners.
Even some of the companies (apparently) have Ford-friendly connections, so take it as you will.

There seems to be enough for all party colors to keep electrification momentum forward -- and all party colors along all GO routes -- it's just gearshifts up and down. 2024, 2028, 2032, whatever. Politicking is mainly rearranging the (station) chairs.

Once Union revitalization is complete, there is huge capacity that can only economically be filled with electrification.

With Toronto in a collision journey (enough condos proposed/approved already to double the number of skyscrapers compared to today) -- and outer municipalities growing -- to being too dense to widen any further roads -- here's only the mass-transit alternatives

Today, electrification is not an "if" anymore -- it's "when?",

Last edited:

Back