News   Apr 26, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The stations on the Stouffville line don’t require asinine maneuvering like backing into a station.
A 2015 oversight in my opinion — the station could have been already active on Niagara service had it been provisioned for such with a platform on the north edge. Probably less than half a million dollars worth or concrete, since the station edge already faces the mainline.

A great but underused station could have been active far sooner (as part of Niagara Seasonal) with such a simple change.

Nontheless, I’m glad they include the station and face the embarrassment of backing the train — now they are finally doing a solution they should have completed in 2015.

Speaking of Stouffville any updates on the double tracking progress?

Kennedy to Lawrence - one new track in service, second track has subgrade finished and beginning to lay out the concrete ties
Lawrence to Ellesmere - second (new) track laid halfway, but not ballasted. Currently working on installing new leads and switches to industrial sidings. When that is done and the entire new track is complete, the track currently in service - which is the original - will need to be removed, regraded and matted, and the. Track laid.
Ellesmere to Progress - still working on retaining walls and the creek bridges, no progress on track.

- Paul

Last edited:
Kennedy to Lawrence - one new track in service, second track has subgrade finished and beginning to lay out the concrete ties
Lawrence to Ellesmere - second (new) track laid halfway, but not ballasted. Currently working on installing new leads and switches to industrial sidings. When that is done and the entire new track is complete, the track currently in service - which is the original - will need to be removed, regraded and matted, and the. Track laid.
Ellesmere to Progress -
I'm assuming a good chunk of this will be completed by mid October for any possible service enhancements that are rumoured to start in October.

I'm assuming a good chunk of this will be completed by mid October for any possible service enhancements that are rumoured to start in October.

Every time I ride, something more has been done - but I would not expect too much rom October beyond maybe hourly evening service. Neither the north or south double track will be done by then.

I just saw on the mount Dennis rendering that there are 3 platforms for go transit, what was the plan with the 4 tracks. I see a total of 6 tracks(2 cp, 4 metrolinx), what's the plan with the 4th track? /
38275-127735.jpeg

A 2015 oversight in my opinion — the station could have been already active on Niagara service had it been provisioned for such with a platform on the north edge. Probably less than half a million dollars worth or concrete, since the station edge already faces the mainline.

A great but underused station could have been active far sooner (as part of Niagara Seasonal) with such a simple change.

Nontheless, I’m glad they include the station and face the embarrassment of backing the train — now they are finally doing a solution they should have completed in 2015.
Presumably CN’s okay would have been needed to have a platform impinge into their ROW, and either there was doubt about it being forthcoming, the okay was going to be withheld which Bayview Junction was in the previous config, Metrolinx initially thought the rear exit from WH would been built sooner, or something else?

Presumably CN’s okay would have been needed to have a platform impinge into their ROW, and either there was doubt about it being forthcoming, the okay was going to be withheld which Bayview Junction was in the previous config, Metrolinx initially thought the rear exit from WH would been built sooner, or something else?

More brutal than that - Niagara was only ever a "someday" project for ML, who would have been perfectly happy to not extend service for years. Someone has given ML a nudge to get the present service in place without waiting for the next decade's track construction. The new platform is just an expedient to address the embarassment of a slow service that no one finds useful.

As for CN, once the McNeilly storage yard was agreed to, it was apparent that some trains were going to use the main line. I suspect CN was indifferent to whether the trains make the station entry and backup move or stop directly on the mainline....it's the same window of track occupancy either way. It was likely ML that never anticipated the need.

- Paul

This City of Brampton conceptual YouTube video shows the third track on the south side in downtown Brampton and the new bus terminal.

Metrolinx removed the 2025 date from the RER / GO Expansion webpages. For example, the Barrie line page clearly stated the end date of 2025 up until recently, and it's gone now:

Metrolinx removed the 2025 date from the RER / GO Expansion webpages. For example, the Barrie line page clearly stated the end date of 2025 up until recently, and it's gone now:
Interestingly Stouffville Line page still has the 2025 date. So they have not got to it yet?

Back