News   May 27, 2024
 746     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 426     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 755     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What if the street running sections of the streetcar lines during the peak times were Transit and emergency vehicles only? That would make them almost rapid in the peak.

The 192 is semi-BRT. Although it doesn't have all door boarding, it does get an HOV (3+) lane on Dundas and the highway. It also runs frequently at 10 min or better. The other Semi-BRT route is the 196A.

The 192 is semi-BRT. Although it doesn't have all door boarding, it does get an HOV (3+) lane on Dundas and the highway. It also runs frequently at 10 min or better. The other Semi-BRT route is the 196A.
It all-door boards at Kipling ;-)

Found this TTC RFP on MERX:

P31PA17742 - TRACK INSPECTION TROLLEY
The Commission requires the services of a Contractor to design and supply a track inspection trolley, including but not limited to, an on-board computer and a 3D laser scanner.

So with the use of the word "trolley", would this vehicle be used on the TTC's streetcar network?

The Commission requires the services of a Contractor to design and supply a track inspection trolley, including but not limited to, an on-board computer and a 3D laser scanner.

So with the use of the word "trolley", would this vehicle be used on the TTC's streetcar network?
"Trolley" is one of those vague words that means many things differently to many people. They don't even state "motorized" or not. So by process of elimination from Googling, this is what I can suggest: (The following looks easily light enough to move by two fit persons and a medium sized truck from subway to streetcar rails)

Images for laser track inspection trolley
upload_2017-3-11_13-50-56.jpeg
More images for laser track inspection trolleyRailway trolley for rail inspection and diagnosis - Vaia Car[/paste:font]
www.vaiacar.com/p/en/rail-inspection-trolley.html
For rail inspection and diagnosis Vaia Car offers a railway trolley suitable for railroad motor cars and ... Track and railway line diagnostics systems CF-250D ...

Here's one 'easily portable by one person' and "The trolley can be run by its own electric motor." Page search in two different browsers show one hit for "laser" but can't find it on the page.

http://www.cbp.co.id/products/testing-equipment/kzv-railway-measurement-products/krab-slight/

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-11_13-50-56.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 348
    4 KB · Views: 326
    4 KB · Views: 306
    3.8 KB · Views: 300
    4.1 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Just throwing this out there to everyone... but how long until the bus terminal at Sheppard-Yonge gets redeveloped, similar to what happened at York Mills long ago.

It's a valuable chunk of land. The SW corner now has several towers. The plaza with the Metro and National Sports on the SE corner is now gone. And now the Sheppard Centre on the NE corner is undergoing a major revitilization, including the construction of a new rental tower. It's only a matter of time until the NW corner sees this same growth. The site of the former McDonald's still sits empty.

For a cash-strapped TTC, this seems like an obvious revenue opportunity.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there to everyone... but how long until the bus terminal at Sheppard-Yonge gets redeveloped, similar to what happened at York Mills long ago.

It's a valuable chunk of land. The SW corner now has several towers. The plaza with the Metro and National Sports on the SE corner is now gone. And now the Sheppard Centre on the NE corner is undergoing a major revitilization, including the construction of a new rental tower. It's only a matter of time until the NW corner sees this same growth. The site of the former McDonald's still sits empty.

For a cash-strapped TTC, this seems like an obvious revenue opportunity.

The TTC thought so to.

But when the solicited bids on the property, nothing exciting resulted.

Partially this is because the desire was to market it as commercial space, and a lot of it (2 office towers was the concept as I recall).

As the interest just wasn't there, the land on the corner of Yonge + Sheppard was leased out as the retail you see there now.

Not sure on the expiry timing of the lease.

I'm sure it will come to market again; but if the insistence is on commercial office space, it may be a long while yet.

The TTC thought so to.

But when the solicited bids on the property, nothing exciting resulted.

Partially this is because the desire was to market it as commercial space, and a lot of it (2 office towers was the concept as I recall).

As the interest just wasn't there, the land on the corner of Yonge + Sheppard was leased out as the retail you see there now.

Not sure on the expiry timing of the lease.

I'm sure it will come to market again; but if the insistence is on commercial office space, it may be a long while yet.
Thank you for the reply. That is interesting.

If it's a zoning issue, that shouldn't be too hard to resolve, as the bus terminal (AFAIK) is City-owned. The City should be able to re-zone it as a mixed-use space (i.e. bus terminal, commercial, office, and residential). I don't see too many hurdles in doing this.

Thank you for the reply. That is interesting.

If it's a zoning issue, that shouldn't be too hard to resolve, as the bus terminal (AFAIK) is City-owned. The City should be able to re-zone it as a mixed-use space (i.e. bus terminal, commercial, office, and residential). I don't see too many hurdles in doing this.

Your welcome.

And I found the TTC report from 2004 on these lands. Happy reading!

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...04/Jul_14_2004/Other/Yonge_Sheppard_Land_.jsp

Would that be before or after they rebuild the Islington Station lands?
Good point! The TTC has a lot of prime real estate, that remains pretty much undeveloped. If it were to redevelop these bus terminals (eg. Sheppard-Yonge, Islington, Wellesley, etc.), it could generate much needed cash, as well as modern facilities.

Trolleys are used to inspect rails, often not motorised. It could be for streetcar network but more likely for subway. Are you planning to bid on It?

Good point! The TTC has a lot of prime real estate, that remains pretty much undeveloped. If it were to redevelop these bus terminals (eg. Sheppard-Yonge, Islington, Wellesley, etc.), it could generate much needed cash, as well as modern facilities.

Maybe the TTC and the City are waiting for the real estate bubble to burst before selling or negotiating any land deals?

Back