News   May 06, 2024
 275     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 856     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

CQgqIWJZ_WJJ21Z62UJqCSaqd4cCgttV0IOFaD9QmtU.jpg

That's pretty much what they've already done on King Street. How has that worked?
Because there was no enforcement, it didn't. Even if you get past the car champions like Minnan-Wong, you still have to persuade TPS to make it a priority. But then you hear "well, if TPS pull someone over then that means more congestion because the stop will occur in the only traffic lane..."

Its a nice graphic, but ridership is more important for subway stations than population. Bessarion looks decent on this map; it has the lowest ridership of any subway line, half that as the next lowest, Summerhill. Jane looks awful, but it gets 10 times the riders as Bessarion.

https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway_ridership_2014.pdf

Those ridership numbers include transfers from the bus. If you change all bus routes to run to Bessarian instead of Don Mills, ridership at that station would be skyrocket.

Walkins are very significant to TTC cashflow. Their subsidy is significantly smaller (possibly even running at a profit) than someone who takes a bus to the station.

Neither data point is particularly good for showing how many local residents (within walking/cycling distance) use TTC.

Does anybody know the criteria used for deciding which of the parks were included in the current TTC System Map? The major ones make sense, but the less prominent seem arbitrary. Some parks are more popular and are at the very least the same size, yet do not appear on the map.

Does anybody know the criteria used for deciding which of the parks were included in the current TTC System Map? The major ones make sense, but the less prominent seem arbitrary. Some parks are more popular and are at the very least the same size, yet do not appear on the map.
Map making is as much an art as a science and the TTC map is primarily a TRANSIT map. In some places it would be very confusing to try to squeeze a park into the page without making the transit lines and names hard to see. If you want a Park map I would go to the City one at: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=5c98dada600f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Hey everyone, I wanted to raise a few points.

I lived in Stockholm, Sweden for a while, and there were a few practices their TA did differently that I really think the TTC should do.

1. When a train short turns on a line, the driver would flick the passenger (saloon) lights off and on. This would be especially useful in Toronto until the side destos become fully implemented, as for example, there are scheduled short turns on the Yonge-University line at Lawrence and Glencairn weekdays.

2. I found it very sadistic of guards on the Sheppard line departing Sheppard-Yonge to watch passengers run from the stairs/escalators to the train doors. In Stockholm, when a train is scheduled to hold at a station, well before closing the doors, the driver repeatedly announces over the PA: "Train is ready for departure".
Having this simple announcement, would assure passengers they will make the train, and prevent the running (and possible injuries) for most people.

3. This final point, is less realistic in Toronto. Somehow Stockholm manages to operate half-hourly subway service all night (24h) on Friday and Saturday nights. Their central sections date back to the opening of the Bloor-Danforth line. It would be amazing if Toronto were able to do this between say Union and Eglinton, and Keele and Warden (as examples, mind you, it would need to be much more frequent in TO).

Last edited:

Back