Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

BTW, I'm also proud to introduce a brand new logo, my friend (who work as a branding designer at smink.ca), who is also working with me, and volunteered to design a brand new logo for our Hamilton LRT citizen advocacy. Also, Nicholas Kevlahan of the older hamiltonlightrail.ca advocacy initiative has joined us, and everyone at RTH/hamiltonlightrail are fully behind us, and are already collaborating with local residents, businesses, etc.

HamLRT_logo-LRG-white.png

Even the City and Metrolinx likes our advocacy logo (they've complimented us!). It's almost too official looking; but that's the point -- of a real project that is coming to town.

Twitter account (twitter.com/ham_LRT), facebook (facebook.com/hamiltonLRT) and we'll all be launching a fuller website (hamiltonLRT.ca) this fall.

The primary objective as an advocacy of local Hamilton residents is bring LRT with maximum social and economic benefits to Hamilton (all the concurrent needs that Hamilton needs along with the LRT too, as LRT alone won't help), and on time, for 2017 procurement, 2019 construction start, and 2024 completion.

This includes facilitating local discussions by residents. And how to have businesses survive construction, to things like Main 1-way versus 2-way, to highlighting other cities' LRT construction, adjusting station location/safety for the new school, and when construction starts, sharing construction photos, possibly crowdfunding things such as nice "we're open" signage for businesses for zip-tieing to construction fences, etc. We've all got some excellent brainstorms, and are doing footwork which will ramp up over time.

We've heard back from few businesses already to get very early, preliminary feedback and got some great comments; things like coffeeshops will probably have increased business from tired construction workers but other things like car washes will probably have decreased business. We are in contact with other cities who had difficulties during LRT construction and will be picking their brains on how to survive our own local construction, too!

The advocacy has diverse citizens, some who did not want the LRT originally, but recognize since it's coming and we need to work together on local issues. We are banding together to help us get maximum benefit (socially & economically), including helping our businesses, getting the message across, etc. Even if some of us disagree on details, we as residents, are banding together in the goals of the citizen advocacy -- even before we've officially launched our website.

The below slide explains the new logo;

HamLRT_logo_descripton.png

As an advocacy run by residents, we recognize that the future phases of LRT, as ridership/demand warrants, can eventually extend to the outside municipalities, in incremental system expansions (when economically warranted). We are united in the goal to keep the door open. Some of us realize it may not pass their area in their lifetimes but could eventually for their children or grandchildren -- while on the other hand, some routes are quickly approved, like Ottawa's Phase 2 while Phase 1 was still under construction.

The "H" logo belies the interconnections between LRT routes, and the dream that inspires all the almagamated municipalities of Hamilton. We've even also had Stoney Creek and Mountain residents compliment already on the new logo and its vision.

We're looking forward to the future!

Attachments

• HamLRT_logo-LRG-white.png
    HamLRT_logo-LRG-white.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,718
  • HamLRT_logo_descripton.png
    HamLRT_logo_descripton.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,315
Last edited:
If I remember correctly, at one point, the proposed western terminus wasn't McMaster University, it was University Plaza in Dundas, about a one-kilometre difference, and the terminus of Route 10 Beeline. There's some reasonable density in that area, and plenty of intensification opportunities along the way.

What happened to that section?

If I remember correctly, at one point, the proposed western terminus wasn't McMaster University, it was University Plaza in Dundas, about a one-kilometre difference, and the terminus of Route 10 Beeline. There's some reasonable density in that area, and plenty of intensification opportunities along the way.

What happened to that section?

IIRC going west of McMaster was contingent on construction of a maintenance and storage facility in the hydro corridor in between McMaster and University Plaza, though I am not certain there actually was any preliminary planning option to continue west of that facility to University Plaza.

We all know constructing the facility there is implausible because of Hydro's extreme reluctance to allow any use of their corridors. Either the plan was drawn up by someone with no concept of the nuance of the land use, or it was deliberately added, for various possible reasons, as a non-option option.

Beyond that, there is geographic logistic issues with grades and bridges through the ravine immediately west of where Main Street splits off to Osler Drive that would make it quite costly to reach University Plaza. I would also not be surprised if the owners of University (Rio Can, I think) told the City to FOAD and refused to give up the space for a terminal and track RoW. They have changed their minds on hosting buses several times over the past twenty years; shuffling them around from the middle of the parking lot, to the far edge, to asking the HSR to leave the property completely, and then bringing them back in to the middle of the parking lot where they are now.

Ultimately, I doubt it is worth the headaches to try and get it out there.

Last edited:

We all know constructing the facility there is implausible because of Hydro's extreme reluctance to allow any use of their corridors. Either the plan was drawn up by someone with no concept of the nuance of the land use, or it was deliberately added, for various possible reasons, as a non-option option.

So true. Looking at this image of the proposed Finch West LRT MSF, the hydro corridor is left untouched.
upload_2015-9-28_11-38-40.png

They don't even plant wheat or other grains to be harvested. Just grass, which is cut by machines, instead of eaten by cattle, sheep, or goats.

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-28_11-38-40.png
    upload_2015-9-28_11-38-40.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,584
Ultimately, I doubt it is worth the headaches to try and get it out there.
Ultimately (wherever transit economics make sense), the advocacy group does plan to advocate for various LRT extensions once shovels are comfortably in the ground.

Clearly, whether near or distant future, only when there is demand and future funding -- especially if B-Line LRT becomes popular. Then extensions could possibly come fairly quickly (ala Ottawa's Phase 2 that got approved while Phase 1 was still under construction), especially with supportive governments. If the first LRTs start up, like ION and Confederation (both opens 2017-2018) becomes more popular than expected, the more institutions & businesses will want LRT extensions to arrive in their location, and it helps the case to petition for extensions during the 2022 or even 2018 elections.

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Near-term, are priorities to engage fellow neighbours, residents, businesses regarding the LRT. Disagreements can derail contracts and construction start date. Even with overwhelming support, we still have to help people/businesses who might not necessarily want the inevitable LRT but accept it is now coming, and still recognize the need to work together to survive construction, etc.

There is positivity being brought to controversial issues such as Main 1-way versus 2-way debate.
e.g. https://www.facebook.com/hamiltonLRT/posts/540929142723257
And positive in-person business engagements like:
e.g. https://twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/648241547012521984

(Decmocracy* Cafe has wall-sized chalkboard-painted walls that customers can draw on! And the cafe's twitter account even retweeted it to all their followers! Got useful comments. Coffee businesses will boom during construction because of tired construction workers, but other types of businesses such as carwashes may suffer, neighbouring businesses will need to work together, BIAs, neighbourhood awareness of businesses, etc.)

Last edited:
So true. Looking at this image of the proposed Finch West LRT MSF, the hydro corridor is left untouched.
View attachment 56057

They don't even plant wheat or other grains to be harvested. Just grass, which is cut by machines, instead of eaten by cattle, sheep, or goats.
Where did you get the image from. Don't think Ive seen it before.

Where did you get the image from. Don't think Ive seen it before.

Being about the Hamilton LRT, I didn't include the link. However, the links on the Finch West LRT website (project update section), at this link. Click on the "Public open house summary report".

Metrolinx has completed an Environmental Project Report (EPR) in accordance with Ontario Regulation 231/08 for the Finch West Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF). Metrolinx intends to proceed with the project in accordance with the EPR.

Notice of completion
Environmental Project Report | Appendices
Public open house summary report

Being about the Hamilton LRT, I didn't include the link. However, the links on the Finch West LRT website (project update section), at this link. Click on the "Public open house summary report".

Metrolinx has completed an Environmental Project Report (EPR) in accordance with Ontario Regulation 231/08 for the Finch West Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF). Metrolinx intends to proceed with the project in accordance with the EPR.

Notice of completion
Environmental Project Report | Appendices
Public open house summary report
Thank You. Much appreciated.

Speaking of studies on topic -- Hamilton is about to embark on recreating an LRT office to manage the project. This is going to occur by end of this year. Manned both by City staff and Metrolinx staff, working together in the same headquarters this time around, it will ramp up to about 100 staff as the project ramps up.

Early work will include updating the existing EAs for the Hamilton LRT. Later, it'll be the construction headquarters. The LRT office is planned to be directly on the LRT route, to facilitate planning and construction.

There is a huge amount of good due diligence at https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/submission-metrolinx
which will be reused (over 90% of it) -- and updated with new changes, which probably include these EA modifications:

- The A-Line stub
(I imagine that this requires brainstorming: e.g. James-Hughson loop at one rail each, or mixed-traffic operation on James St N, etc)

- The traffic circle terminus
(As the LRT will terminate there for now)

- No-brainer station location adjustments, such as the new stadium and the new school about to be built next to new stadium
(I imagine, perhaps bringing Gage station slightly closer to it -- maybe renamed to Stadium Station or something -- and using the Delta station to service Gage Park).

etc.

Interesting photos, of a very different design!

Hamilton's design is much simpler, being a far smaller traffic circle. The traffic circle design is made already, as part of the earlier Metrolinx submission.

(Amongst many, many documents already made, this link above -- pretty much shows a shovel-ready project for the most part)

The Hamilton traffic circle, being a much smaller one, is only about 48 meters diameter curb-to-curb (curb-curb is my understanding). The line would bisect off-center to align with the curve beyond, and a station built to the east of the traffic circle. But being it a terminus, needs modifications to allow the LRT to switch tracks.

As Hamilton is getting double-ended LRTs (cabs on both ends), a turning loop is not necessary but a crossover can be used instead. That said, if a turning loop was done, it can theoretically be done on the outer lane of the traffic circle. The outer lane has a turning radius greater than 25 meter, that fits the Flexity Freedom. This could allow the traffic circle to theoretically be used as a turning loop, as emergency or operational-flexibility if necessary (e.g. one end of cab is not available on some LRT vehicles, e.g. disabled due to maintenance). Because this is a terminus anyway, this can increase operational flexibility even with double-ended dual-cab LRT vehicles. A design change for the Traffic Circle is probably potentially back on the table. Over time, there could be both a turning loop and a bisect, as the LRT is extended. There might not be a turning loop.

I presume the appropriate experts will analyze the options and get the design modifications in months from now, where necessary.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 2015-10-19 16.56.26.jpg
    2015-10-19 16.56.26.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,041
  • 2015-10-19 17.09.22.jpg
    2015-10-19 17.09.22.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,013
  • 2015-10-19 17.12.21.jpg
    2015-10-19 17.12.21.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,002
Bratina should drop by City Hall and see how the project is proceeding. Maybe he'll make it his mandate as MP to stop the LRT from happening.

He's clearly one of those cases of "I like the party, but I dont like the candidate".

Bratina should drop by City Hall and see how the project is proceeding. Maybe he'll make it his mandate as MP to stop the LRT from happening.

He's clearly one of those cases of "I like the party, but I dont like the candidate".
I don't think we need to worry excessively about that, based on the information that I have.

As far as I know, combined funding for GO+LRT balanced-out the Stoney Creek opposition. The Stoney Creek section got removed off the LRT route. Instead, the funding got transferred to the Stoney Creek GO station on Centennial Parkway.

As part of the local Hamilton LRT advocacy, we will have an eagle eye on such developments. At the moment, there are other higher-risk topics such as converting Main Street from a 1-way to a 2-way street, that Stoney Creek may have a voice on. At the Supercrawl LRT demo exhibit, Jason Thorne said the city will run traffic simulations of all scenarios, including Main 1-way and 2-way.

Is the LRT in Hamilton actually happening? Or is it still in the decision phase?

Back