News   Apr 26, 2024
 227     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 461     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

I also can't help but think that the new Front/Esplanade bus service should go further west (then Bathurst) to try and serve at least part of Liberty Village.
Maybe loop through Liberty Village when the new street goes in?
Liberty_new_st_map_2015_large1.png

I also can't help but think that the new Front/Esplanade bus service should go further west (then Bathurst) to try and serve at least part of Liberty Village.

my original thought was this,

CUjFhYpUcAAYc7i.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/smuncky/status/669001722644287488

This would give another option for people along Fort York and Liberty Village to get downtown without hoping to get on an eastbound 504. It'd also make the trip into downtown quicker if you're in the Fort York area.

On this side of the route, it'd connect to the 63, 29, 504, 509, and 511. It'd add maybe 10-15 min to the route overall? On the logistics side, the 63 already does this kind of loop around Strachan/Douro whenever it short turns or Strachan/Liberty is closed. I don't see that many problems which couldn't be fixed with an adjustment of the lights or something along that route either.

It could always be rerouted to Dufferin Loop along East Liberty but in my experience, it's always fairly congested and wouldn't add that much to the service anyway. Running it along the New Street wouldn't be possible as there'll be no left turn on to it from Strachan. It'll be right turn only, in from southbound Strachan and out going southbound onto Strachan.

The 121 could cross Bathurst to a 1 way street/busway extension of Front, right onto Tecumseth, right onto Niagara (current one way direction) and right on Bathurst back to Front. But that means nuking the Build Toronto intentions for 28 Bathurst Street which sees a street along the north edge of the development, not the south (and not an extension of the existing laneway north of there), with access at the junction limited to a entrance/exit. I guess they want the street on the north side to help with spacing to the adjoining Fort York Residence and the childcare centre (plus there is an app in for the land to the north facing onto Tecumseth Street as part of 89-109 Niagara. That strikes me as a Ford era maximise city land $ returns at all costs idea, likely supported by the "doom an extension of Front Street at any cost" supporters.

The 121 could cross Bathurst to a 1 way street/busway extension of Front, right onto Tecumseth, right onto Niagara (current one way direction) and right on Bathurst back to Front. But that means nuking the Build Toronto intentions for 28 Bathurst Street which sees a street along the north edge of the development, not the south (and not an extension of the existing laneway north of there), with access at the junction limited to a entrance/exit. I guess they want the street on the north side to help with spacing to the adjoining Fort York Residence and the childcare centre (plus there is an app in for the land to the north facing onto Tecumseth Street as part of 89-109 Niagara. That strikes me as a Ford era maximise city land $ returns at all costs idea, likely supported by the "doom an extension of Front Street at any cost" supporters.

It really is too bad that a simple Tecumseth/Niagara loop (probably) won't be possible - I also though the end of Tecumseth would have been a good spot for a bridge to Fort York, but what do I know?

TTC will host an open house on the proposed route changes to buses 72 and 172. The people who do the transit service planning will be there as well.

December 1
2 p.m. to 4 p.m
George Brown College’s waterfront campus, 51 Dockside Dr.

Alternatively, you can complete this survey to provide feedback on the proposed changes.

TTC will host an open house on the proposed route changes to buses 72 and 172. The people who do the transit service planning will be there as well.

December 1
2 p.m. to 4 p.m
George Brown College’s waterfront campus, 51 Dockside Dr.

Alternatively, you can complete this survey to provide feedback on the proposed changes.

To clarify - it's not a formal open house, but rather, planners will be present at the bus stop to discuss the changes with customers.

Planners were at Pape Station Wednesday evening and this morning. Other locations are being planned! @TTCplanning will post in advance.
Need some notice. With the current change in the middle of the Portlands, I'm not currently taking the bus, because it is not currently getting me from Esplande to Gerrard/Carlaw!

Reactions: DSC
Here are some pictures of the new Cherry Street loop from yesterday. Wiring is going up, and the rest of in-ground bricks are being laid. When this branch opens, I want to see a "streetcar parade" with the Peter Witt, PCC, CLRV, ALRV, and LFRV running the branch for the celebration.

w07eNAo.jpg

w36EQIx.jpg

6LGhwz1.jpg

wHuRSeB.jpg

VVCY5ha.jpg
6IpFkOj.jpg

yE89MTf.jpg

Here are some pictures of the new Cherry Street loop from yesterday. Wiring is going up, and the rest of in-ground bricks are being laid. When this branch opens, I want to see a "streetcar parade" with the Peter Witt, PCC, CLRV, ALRV, and LFRV running the branch for the celebration.

It would be really neat if they could bring down the old open one from Halton as well.

Back