News   Apr 26, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 483     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

JUst a question are they going to only use new streetcars when this opens or are they just going to put paper signs in the windows of the current CLRVs when this line opens, as I doubt we will see them add to the troll signs if they are going to be retired soon any anyway

Depends when it opens. There's no money in the 2016 budget to operate it.

But if they do operate it this year, they'd be using 504 equipment and based on the fleet schedule, they'd be using old equipment. Perhaps the current buses running to Parliament.

For ALRVs and CLRVs they can use the existing Dufferin and Parliament exposures. The Parliament exposure is just as accurate as the Broadview exposure they use for scheduled turns at Broadview/Dundas.

With some of the ALRVs scheduled to go for almost another decade, I'd think they would go for new rollsigns sooner or later. Though do they do it when there's 200 left, or only 30?

There's others they can add:

317 (though why it's not a 310 I don't know).

Last word I heard was that the Cherry Street YMCA hope to open in April and the first residents hope to move into the Canary district in April/May. (Gears the bike folk just announced "Plans are to open this new shop in the spring of 2016. In the meantime, we'll keep you posted of progress in this album.").

The TTC plan to get additional $$ for the Cherry Street service - the 514 - did not make it past the budget committee but I understand that they plan to run x% of 504 King cars to the Cherry St loop. (They are just about finished hanging the overhead from King to the loop.)

The TTC are currently looking at transit in the St Lawrence area and a Report is expected in February dealing with the 72 and 172 bus routes and a proposed 121 Front St bus. I assume (always a danger with the TTC) that this review will also look at the Cherry Street service as it's all transit. (Most of the neighbourhood input I saw made a strong case to extend their proposed 121 from Berkeley Street to Cherry or Bayview so that it will also serve the Distillery and Canary Districts and connect to the 514/504. The original Waterfront Toronto mantra of "Transit First" makes so much sense and I hope that we will see this new transit plan in effect by the time people start to move in but I guess we will see....

Sorry, did they cut the funding for the service start in September when I wasn't looking?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Delay will probably be blamed on lack of Flexities deliveries but scrapping of CLRVs, or something, while really about trying to do Tory priorities he won't fight for money for.

Sorry, did they cut the funding for the service start in September when I wasn't looking?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's still unclear how they need more than a very small amount of extra money to operate service here. The net new service is low. There aren't even extra streetcars available at rush hour so service will come from diverting existing 504 operations here, costing nothing. At other times what is the service plan? Are they going to commit to every 10 minutes? 15? How much of that will come from reallocating 504?

In the new 2016 TTC Customer Charter - http://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Customer_Charter/2016_Charter.jsp there's a promise to start streetcar service on Cherry during the 3rd Quarter - presumably at Labour Day:

upload_2016-2-4_9-18-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-4_9-18-2.png
    upload_2016-2-4_9-18-2.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 804
Corktown Common is closer to the 504 stop at River than any stop on Cherry.
Not when you can walk east of Cherry Street along Mill or Front Streets. The roads in Canary District are supposed to be opening in April/May. Of course you can still get to that part of cherry on the 172 bus.....

Not when you can walk east of Cherry Street along Mill or Front Streets. The roads in Canary District are supposed to be opening in April/May. Of course you can still get to that part of cherry on the 172 bus.....
Hmm, seems further to me. Just measuring on Google Maps. 300 metres from the King/River stop to Corktown Common, and 350 metres from the Cherry/Front stop. And 400 metres from Mill and Cherry - though where is the stop there ... isn't it further south, on/near the loop?

Part of the failing of the Cherry streetcar, is it fails to actually penetrate the West Donlands. There should have been something east/west on Front to Bayview. Given how busy the 504 already is along here, it's a shame they didn't build an east/west line along Front/Wellington, all the way to Bayview - and perhaps over the Don into the Lever lands, and up Broadview.

At the Gooderham & Worts Neighbourhood Assn tonight Laurence Lui of the TTC announced that the Cherry Street streetcar (514 Cherry to Dufferin) will start on June 19 (if TTC Board approve in March.) At same time the new 121 bus (Fort York to Distillery) will start. It will run from Fort York to Cherry/Mill along Front and The Esplanade and be 'frequent'. Once people move into West Don Lands and they evaluate ridership the are open to extending this route further east into Canary district and, at some future date, further west to Liberty Village. He will present this all again at the SLNA meeting on 24 February. See www.slna.ca

the TTC announced that the Cherry Street streetcar (514 Cherry to Dufferin) will start on June 19 (if TTC Board approve in March.)

Exciting! Did he mention frequency? (what % of 504 king trips will become 514 trips)

Back