News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

No, the Bala Underpass is the one that's almost at a right angle to the trail, north of there, around Rosedale Valley Rd. It's basically a blind corner from both directions:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6709961,-79.3587411,3a,75y,237.77h,79.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-I2Qp5alsTno/U54C68O6HzI/AAAAAAAAAAA/oJznmXE7Q54!2e4!3e11!7i9728!8i4864

ETA: No, you're right: the Bala is at Corktown Common. The dangerous one being realigned is the Belleville underpass:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=f54bbe65c6595410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

OK, that I agree with, totally. That culvert totally sucks.

Now, back to Cherry Street..... the TTC have now finished the overhead at King/Cherry and have strung the support wires and some 'contact wire" from King to Mill. They have also finished installing the 'missing poles' at the loop so they are clearly making good progress towards getting the line ready to open. I assume they are aiming for May 2016 when the West Don Lands are supposed to be open

Now, back to Cherry Street..... the TTC have now finished the overhead at King/Cherry and have strung the support wires and some 'contact wire" from King to Mill. They have also finished installing the 'missing poles' at the loop so they are clearly making good progress towards getting the line ready to open. I assume they are aiming for May 2016 when the West Don Lands are supposed to be open
Looking in the 2016 budget, they only budgeted for 1/3 of the year in 2016, so I'd assume Labour Day 2016.

See Proposed Service Improvements for the 2016 Operating Budget, at this link, for information on the new streetcar service on Cherry Street.
This what you have to look at
New Streetcar Service on Cherry Street 2016 $0.8 Yearly $2.1

Divide the $.8 into $2.1 and that will tell you when service starts.

Again TTC looking at this wrong as it should start Jan to meet the Transit First requirement that has been on the books since 2005. It will should buyers and renter for the new area that you don't need a car as well servicing the Distillery area, as well the residents who live there now

Last edited:
This what you have to look at
New Streetcar Service on Cherry Street 2016 $0.8 Yearly $2.1

Divide the $.8 into $2.1 and that will tell you when service starts.

Again TTC looking at this wrong as it should start Jan to meet the Transit First requirement that has been on the books since 2005. It will should buyers and renter for the new area that you don't need a car as well servicing the Distillery area, as well the residents who live there now

But could it mean a less frequent service level for 2016, that is eventually ramped up?

But could it mean a less frequent service level for 2016, that is eventually ramped up?
And they ramp it up on January 1, 2017? No, it means it goes into effect September 4, 2016.

Didn't we discuss this in detail already back a couple of months ago when TTC released the virtually identical information for the previous budget committee meeting?

It is interesting (!) to read Steve Munro's take on this in his report on this week's Budget Committee : "Notable in all of these votes is that the provision of streetcar service on Cherry Street was treated as a low-priority item by TTC management and budgeted as an “extra” rather than in the base. We could well see the ludicrous situation of the TTC, having built the line, never gets around to actually operating it."

At the very least TTC should be using the track for turnbacks/storing surge cars
It is interesting (!) to read Steve Munro's take on this in his report on this week's Budget Committee : "Notable in all of these votes is that the provision of streetcar service on Cherry Street was treated as a low-priority item by TTC management and budgeted as an “extra” rather than in the base. We could well see the ludicrous situation of the TTC, having built the line, never gets around to actually operating it."
A very expensive version of the Dufferin/Springhurst loop :)

I can't imagine the developers of the adjacent condos sitting idly by if this infrastructure is not completed. I think it was part and parcel of the deal for building and then converting the PanAm Village to have transit infrastructure in place for opening.

I can't imagine the developers of the adjacent condos sitting idly by if this infrastructure is not completed. I think it was part and parcel of the deal for building and then converting the PanAm Village to have transit infrastructure in place for opening.

Unless they want to cough up the money, I doubt they will be able to do anything about it. See Queens Quay East as an example.

Owners are not expected to move in until April at the earliest. And dates are staggered so it won't be full for a few months after that.

Which leads into the summer lull (and nice enough weather to walk to King). So makes sense that it should start sometime between April and Sept.

Back