News   May 06, 2024
 176     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 449     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

By what you're telling me, you say that getting a transfer while using PRESTO is violating TTC By-Law, then why do we get told to get a transfer at subway station and streetcars as well?!? Are you seriously telling me the TTC is violating its own rules?
That appears to be the case. I've asked customer service for comment, but they (unusually) haven't replied!

They can say whatever they want, and write any ticket they want. But enforcement is based on By-Law 1. Though I guess they won't be ticketing anyone for taking a transfer at a subway station after tapping on - to tell the truth, have they ever even fined anyone for taking a transfer after using a metropass?

Just noticed that the Presto 2.0 readers installed on the TTC have amber lights on the paid side of the gate, but the non -Presto gates didn't. Assume this is for MTA-style monitoring of concession fares?

PRESTO upgrade
PRESTO is upgrading its system to enable a pilot project for PRESTO fare payment on para-transit vehicles. There will be a temporary, planned interruption of PRESTO services overnight beginning on July 31 and on to August 1.

• PRESTO cardholders will be able to tap and pay for their trips during the scheduled upgrade.
  • Customers will be unable to activate new cards during the planned interruption.
  • Autoloads will continue to process as normal.
We recommend that customers perform necessary online transactions on the PRESTO website by July 30 to avoid disruptions.

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Presto_Fare_System/index.jsp

Can a Presto add-value machine immediately add your online payment to your Presto card without waiting 24 hours?
(Say, I add value online via phone, then right after, go to a Presto add-value kiosk)

It should be made possible, as the kiosks are online (out of necessity, for payment processing)...

If so, then this would be another great use of the Presto add-value kiosks they're finally now putting out in select locations (supports Interac, MC, Visa -- but what if your spouse added value for you online? Need a means of commiting that payment quicker than 24 hours such as via these kiosks).

I saw Presto card readers on a CLRV on 510 Spadina yesterday. It was a surprise and I wasn't prepared for it. It made me think--how do we know which CLRV's have already been converted? There doesn't seem to be any updates on ttc.ca.

I saw Presto card readers on a CLRV on 510 Spadina yesterday. It was a surprise and I wasn't prepared for it. It made me think--how do we know which CLRV's have already been converted? There doesn't seem to be any updates on ttc.ca.

Was it actually active and accepting fare payment? And was there a paper transfer system in place along with it? Presto readers have been seen on CLRVs in the past however they were inactive/for testing only.

Was it actually active and accepting fare payment? And was there a paper transfer system in place along with it? Presto readers have been seen on CLRVs in the past however they were inactive/for testing only.

I didn't do a close inspection. But now that you mention it they were probably inactive as they looked to be wrapped in tape.
So it looks like there is still a wait in front of us. :(

Always interesting to compare our experience to others'. Or perhaps, the opportunity for pundits to take shots at something before the benefits become apparent is the same everywhere.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-card-backfires-on-translink/article25891216/

- Paul

"And for now the unfair and arbitrary zone system on SkyTrain will remain in place."

A great quote. I have no idea what their system is, and don't really care. The point is this is how opposition politicians and media pundits will label any zone system ever introduced in the GTA.

Somebody in TheStar comments found a pretty air tight loophole to riding the TTC for free on PRESTO equipped vehicles.

Board the vehicle, stand by a PRESTO terminal and if a fare collector boards, you tap your card. If not, you get off at your stop having paid nothing.

I don't condone this and I'll pay my fare but this will likely increase fare evasion. Nothing short of having permanent staff on board will close this loophole.

^the major tool that all PoP systems have to avoid mass fare evasion is the decency of people....most people still believe that stealing a good or service is not the right thing to do and that if you use a good or service there is a price to be paid for it. If that fails, then there is likely no foolproof system.

Somebody in TheStar comments found a pretty air tight loophole to riding the TTC for free on PRESTO equipped vehicles.

Board the vehicle, stand by a PRESTO terminal and if a fare collector boards, you tap your card. If not, you get off at your stop having paid nothing.

I don't condone this and I'll pay my fare but this will likely increase fare evasion. Nothing short of having permanent staff on board will close this loophole.

POP fare inspectors in some cities are plain clothes so it's possible to "spot check" riders without them seeing the inspector coming.

POP fare inspectors in some cities are plain clothes so it's possible to "spot check" riders without them seeing the inspector coming.

That's a pretty good solution right there! Also, making people aware that they're on camera might deter some fare evaders as well.

Back