News   Apr 26, 2024
 241     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 270     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 462     0 

Zoning Reform Ideas

Is it such a bad idea to drop some midrises just off them?
My understanding is that transition zones were proposed by TO Planning as part of the midrise guidelines and then deleted by councilors.

Can’t figure out which ones though (wouldn’t surprise me if they were from the ‘progressive’ wing).

My understanding is that transition zones were proposed by TO Planning as part of the midrise guidelines and then deleted by councilors.

There's another element at play here, too, which is embedded in the City's confused response to the Province's new TOD densification requirements. Essentially, the Province has told the City that it needs to allow for more density within 800m of rapid transit stations, and the City has been ragging the puck because, as has been widely noted on this thread, there are large swaths of areas in close proximity to transit that are protected from significant densification.

The exploration of transition zones that the City is engaged in with respect to the Danforth study is in some ways the City dipping its toes into one way to move closer to compliance with that provincial directive, but they're certainly not moving quickly or boldly enough (IMHO). The reasons for that reticence vary from case to case and area to area; in some cases, the local councillor is the problem, in other cases it's some particularly well connected, organized, or funded neighbours, and in others it's the Planning Department (and there is of course overlap between those factors as well).

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Planning Department is not a monolith; in some instances, particular individuals within the department are actually notionally aligned with much of the discussion in this thread, but often there is an individual or two above or adjacent to them that does not agree.

Pardon my ignorance of municipal politics but why isn't this something that is addressed by local government? Isn't this arguably the single biggest issue plaguing our city today? What do we need to do to hold our Councillors more accountable? Do I need to run for my riding to fix this (lol).

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Planning Department is not a monolith; in some instances, particular individuals within the department are actually notionally aligned with much of the discussion in this thread, but often there is an individual or two above or adjacent to them that does not agree.
Progress takes place one funeral (or retirement) at a time.

Yeah, we've found our people. The shenanigans behind the scenes trying to get some things to fly is pretty interesting.

Really I just wanted to post a blog post written by Alain Miguelez of Ottawa, a very well-meaning and articulate senior planning official, with some ideas that I think could be applicable and helpful if imported to Toronto:

http://www.livablecities.org/blog/little-things-ottawa-doing-restore-human-scale-2

This post deals with new zoning that allows retail on select streets and corners in otherwise residential areas. It also notes a new relaxation of parking requirements leading to the construction of 12 unit apartment buildings in central neighbourhoods (something that in itself would likely be impossible or very difficult in Toronto given the restrictiveness of the yellow belt zoning). As some context, when Miguelez mentions "Traditional Mainstreets", these are largely akin to Toronto's Avenues.

When looking for a thread to post this article, I wasn't aware of one that fits. I think a thread that more broadly looks at how zoning could be reformed for the better in Toronto might be helpful.
I’m going to pick on one line in this article. The building 5 storeys (needed a minor variance) for height. The C of A has become far to lenient in smaller neighbourhoods. I understand the need in large developments, planning must be a policy more than a law but in 2, 3, 4 storey areas, the variance for height, coverage, setbacks must be severely restricted. And I lay this at the feet of Real Estate. How many times has the agent sold a house without respect for the neighbourhood. The sale is on the basis of how you can revise the house to make it into something else instead of selling what it is. Once the sale is complete the new owner is locked into whatever it takes to push through a variance and the C of A is largely lenient based on the owner’s predicament or the high powered team representing the owner.

I think what needs to be severely restricted is the ability of people who would like to live in a small town/village/rural area from being able to buy a home in the middle of a massive metropolis.

From the above:

1613510038043.png

That seems peculiar.

These tribunals (in theory) call for very different types of expertise.

As it stands, some appointees to these tribunals may be ill placed.

But at least they gain experience doing the same types of hearings regularly.

I don't see much in the way of cost-savings here.

If they want to simplify and save $$

1) Reduce the number of appeals by clarifying frequently disputed matters at law; and addressing in LPAT's case the automatic 180-day window.

2) Make better use of hearing space by holding evening hearings or weekend hearings.

Well, it looks like the Province has taken its first real bruising on an MZO.

One was issued to further a Glass Factory in Stratford.

The community mobilized against it......

Today, the company announced the project is suspended indefinitely.

In this case, the MZO was initiated by the Mayor; I don't think his political future is looking particularly bright at the moment.

Well, it looks like the Province has taken its first real bruising on an MZO.

One was issued to further a Glass Factory in Stratford.

The community mobilized against it......

Today, the company announced the project is suspended indefinitely.

In this case, the MZO was initiated by the Mayor; I don't think his political future is looking particularly bright at the moment.

Well, that's interesting. A small town in Ontario shutting down employment opportunities for locals. I guess all the Toronto-transplants bougie folk in Stratford are doing well enough.....oh, yeah, they would be, wouldn't they?

We clamour for more manufacturing jobs and domestic capacity and then we get stuff like this.

I guess a theatre is enough to run a town on.

Well, that's interesting. A small town in Ontario shutting down employment opportunities for locals. I guess all the Toronto-transplants bougie folk in Stratford are doing well enough.....oh, yeah, they would be, wouldn't they?

We clamour for more manufacturing jobs and domestic capacity and then we get stuff like this.

I guess a theatre is enough to run a town on.

I thought you didn't want public, government money directed to Chinese companies?

The company in question being Chinese; and the plant expansion in question, extracting at least 6M in public funds from the City of Stratford.

Back