News   Apr 25, 2024
 211     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 565     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

-dude just 15 years ago they had ZERO BRT and yrt was only 4 years old. They brought the BRT concept to the gta and everyone else has been copying the concept since (zum, miway)
-to be fair, looking at all other road projects in the gta can you honestly say that they couldve gone significantly faster?
its definitely not asian fast but at least they didnt embroil themselves with delay after delay a la ttc projects...
-their priority was always to do the BRT first and finish the planters in the spring. considering its now winter and pandemic do you honestly think there will be so many people using the sidewalks that it will be a genuine issue?
-first world issues
-do you even take transit our youre just one of those armchair critics?
Zum is a rebranding of AcceleRide, the implementation is significantly different. YRT focused on fixed infrastructure, Brampton Transit focused on rolling stock and service hours, and despite YRT having a significantly larger service population, Brampton Transit has significantly higher ridership. Here is a report from 2003 discussing AcceleRide https://www.brampton.ca//en/Busines...TransPl/2004/Staff Report - Sep. 22, 2003.pdf

Zum is a rebranding of AcceleRide, the implementation is significantly different. YRT focused on fixed infrastructure, Brampton Transit focused on rolling stock and service hours, and despite YRT having a significantly larger service population, Brampton Transit has significantly higher ridership. Here is a report from 2003 discussing AcceleRide https://www.brampton.ca//en/Business/planning-development/Documents/PLD/TransPl/2004/Staff Report - Sep. 22, 2003.pdf
big differentiator is that York region is a much large region geograpically with a largely different demographic . I'm sure that if they wanted they can pump more buses out on the routes but the issue is to get people out of their cars (which is the predominant form of transport in YR)
the only way they can do that is to have faster infrastructure. It doesnt matter if theres a 100 buses on blue if its getting bogged down in gridlock.. unfortunately, car culture is just too strong, espcially with the cheap gas prices and the rise of the SUV.
The rest is all cyclical.

Oh btw YRT was already planning for ph 1 in 2003 as well. I lived through it.

big differentiator is that York region is a much large region geograpically with a largely different demographic . I'm sure that if they wanted they can pump more buses out on the routes but the issue is to get people out of their cars (which is the predominant form of transport in YR)
the only way they can do that is to have faster infrastructure. It doesnt matter if theres a 100 buses on blue if its getting bogged down in gridlock.. unfortunately, car culture is just too strong, espcially with the cheap gas prices and the rise of the SUV.
The rest is all cyclical.

Oh btw YRT was already planning for ph 1 in 2003 as well. I lived through it.
What is the point of dedicated BRT infrastructure if you don't have the buses or service hours to make use of it. YRT just isn't that frequent, Brampton generated ridership through high frequency.

Of course York Region was, the idea for BRTs was pushed by the Greater Toronto Services Board, that is where AcceleRide came from.

The new Viva stop at Major Mackenzie and Yonge is an embarrassment. As Yonge is too narrow north of Major Mack, the stop is located one block south, at Hopkins Street, where passengers are expected to double back, beg to cross, then head back ip on the sidewalks to the Major Mackenzie intersection to transfer to the Route 4, one of the busiest YRT routes.

Now there's cops to lecture transit users on the correct, long way around.

Typical, I don't understand how the design team didn't see that one coming. A 5 minute transfer time is nothing short of ridiculous. Especially considering Major Mack is a planned future VIVA route..

Typical, I don't understand how the design team didn't see that one coming. A 5 minute transfer time is nothing short of ridiculous. Especially considering Major Mack is a planned future VIVA route..
it takes about 2 minutes to cover 200m. Plenty of subway/RT transfers take more than 2 minutes, I don't see the issue here.

This was supposed to be the junction of Viva Blue, Viva Silver, and Viva Green - in 2016.

Could you imagine the transfer if that ever happened?

Showing its commitment to actually operating transit, Viva Silver is now about as likely as ever happening as SmartTrack.

yrt-viva-2017-draft-plan.jpg

What is the point of dedicated BRT infrastructure if you don't have the buses or service hours to make use of it. YRT just isn't that frequent, Brampton generated ridership through high frequency.

Of course York Region was, the idea for BRTs was pushed by the Greater Toronto Services Board, that is where AcceleRide came from.
Peel region should’ve been the higher priority over york region any day

- Dundas BRT
- Queen BRT
- Steeles BRT
- Derry BRT
- Bovaird/Airport Rd BRT
- Dixie BRT
- Mavis/Chinguacousy BRT

Pick any 2 corridors from this list and its ridership would best out Viva Orange, Purple and Blue combined

Last edited:

- Dundas BRT
- Queen BRT
- Steeles BRT
- Derry BRT
- Bovaird/Airport Rd BRT
- Dixie BRT
- Mavis/Chinguacousy BRT

Pick any 2 corridors from this liat and its ridership would best out Viva Orange, Purple and Blue combined

Look what happened with the Hurontario LRT. That speaks to more of why they get ignored. If one day Peel Region amalgamates the transit into one, then these things can happen..

- Dundas BRT
- Queen BRT
- Steeles BRT
- Derry BRT
- Bovaird/Airport Rd BRT
- Dixie BRT
- Mavis/Chinguacousy BRT

Pick any 2 corridors from this list and its ridership would best out Viva Orange, Purple and Blue combined
A good chunk of York's BRT was paid for by the region itself, theoretical priority isn't a factor when one has money. Regardless I don't think any of these corridors are "better". Viva Purple's and Orange's poor ridership comes from infrequent service, nobody wants to wait at a bus stop for 20 mins in a region where everyone has access to a car, and where there are poor connecting busses. If York invested into community bussing, and had actually good frequencies on routes that weren't viva blue, they would definitely compete with many of the corridors you listed here.

- Dundas BRT
- Queen BRT
- Steeles BRT
- Derry BRT
- Bovaird/Airport Rd BRT
- Dixie BRT
- Mavis/Chinguacousy BRT

All those corridors should be upgraded to BRT. I am skeptical of any more LRT with cost/performance profile of HuLRT. I think it would be better to build ridership and upgrade to proper grade separated transit.

Milton Line absolutely needs to be upgraded to provide better connection for mid-Mississauga. Shame Milton line doesn't get all that close to Square One. What an enormous failure of imagination in where they sited the nouveau city centre.

All those corridors should be upgraded to BRT. I am skeptical of any more LRT with cost/performance profile of HuLRT. I think it would be better to build ridership and upgrade to proper grade separated transit.

Milton Line absolutely needs to be upgraded to provide better connection for mid-Mississauga. Shame Milton line doesn't get all that close to Square One. What an enormous failure of imagination in where they sited the nouveau city centre.
Brampton killed their own LRT by their own hand. Not the fault of ML or Ontario

Back