News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 866     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

It seems that the YRT has included a conceptual drawing of the Jane & Major Mackenzie bus terminal into its 2018 Performance Report on page 30 (across the street from the new Vaughan Hospital). It looks like they're aiming for it to open by the end of 2020 as suggested by their 2020 Transit Initiative. I find it a bit odd that the 20 will be serving 2 bus terminals in such close proximity to one another. I assume that the 20 relies heavily on connecting traffic.

It seems that the YRT has included a conceptual drawing of the Jane & Major Mackenzie bus terminal into its 2018 Performance Report on page 30 (across the street from the new Vaughan Hospital). It looks like they're aiming for it to open by the end of 2020 as suggested by their 2020 Transit Initiative. I find it a bit odd that the 20 will be serving 2 bus terminals in such close proximity to one another. I assume that the 20 relies heavily on connecting traffic.
Yes, but did they leave space for a northern terminus for the Jane LRT? Major Mackenzie/Wonderland... *wink* ...'nuther decade on...

If you look that the top right, it says "STAIR TO PEDESTRIAN UNDERPASS", which is the existing connection underneath Major Mackenzie Drive that will be converted to a pedestrian path to connect to the hospital. Having the bus terminal split between Amusement Drive does seem odd, unless they plan for GO Transit and other buses to use the west platforms and YRT to use the east. The new Passenger Pick Up and Drop Off thing on the left side may only be for bus passengers as it's much more efficient to use the existing loop on Jane as it's a shorter walk to the entrance (655m vs 333m). Also, it seems like Amusement Drive will no longer be a one-way road (enter only) so that's kind of odd since there will be no dedicated left turn lane and using the underpass on the west to loop around to the north side may be faster.
Vaughan Bus Terminal.png

Yes, but did they leave space for a northern terminus for the Jane LRT? Major Mackenzie/Wonderland... *wink* ...'nuther decade on...
Of course not. A full Viva Silver Rapidway is still unfunded and curbside service is still years away, and you want them to plan for LRT? :p

Couldn't they have double tracked it? They have doubled or even quadrupled tracked various lines.

There were a couple of sections that would have been quite expensive to do that, like the bridge at Hogg's Hollow. Much of the rest of the line would have been much easier and cheaper.

But why bother? The service was hourly, and scheduled to meet at the sidings.

Dan

There were a couple of sections that would have been quite expensive to do that, like the bridge at Hogg's Hollow. Much of the rest of the line would have been much easier and cheaper.

But why bother? The service was hourly, and scheduled to meet at the sidings.

Dan

The same reasons Lakeshore east and west are both 4 tracks.

Where is the Lakeshore 4 track as its only 2/3 east of the Don and west of Kipling???? The area between those locations are 4 tracks. Anyway, wrong thread for this talk.

None of the Lakeshore East is 4 tracks. And Lakeshore West is only 4 tracks for less than 7 and a half miles of the almost 40 miles of the route.

But yeah, feel free to keep reaching.

Dan

None of the Lakeshore East is 4 tracks. And Lakeshore West is only 4 tracks for less than 7 and a half miles of the almost 40 miles of the route.

But yeah, feel free to keep reaching.

Dan

Sorry, I knew it wasn't the whole way, but I knew it was that much.

All I was trying to show that if there is a desire to double track something, then there is a way.

Sorry, I knew it wasn't the whole way, but I knew it was that much.

All I was trying to show that if there is a desire to double track something, then there is a way.

But is it desire, or is it necessity?

In the case of the GO lines, the reason why they have multiple tracks is that they needed them. If they didn't, they would remove them.

Bringing it back to the North Yonge Railways, there was no necessity to, therefore they kept it as a primarily single-tracked line. Double-tracking it would have incurred additional costs that may have forced the line to close earlier than it did.

Dan

Back