News   Apr 16, 2024
 335     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 735     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 490     3 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

I'm clearly one of the insane as I have biked up and down the completed section near VMC. The buffer marks make a huge difference in keeping an average cyclist feel somewhat safe. Overall, the bike lanes are pretty good in the summer and you don't really notice that cars/trucks are going 60 km/h faster than you, but they become useless in the winter as the plows pile the snow onto the bike lanes. The only nerve-wracking part of the bike lane is when the lane scoots to the left at the right turn queue, but gets easier once you get the hang of it. The bigger problem I see is that Highway 7 and Yonge aren't exactly flat so its somewhat of a deterrent for those who skipped leg day (hopefully e-scooters will solve this). Walking is much more pleasurable compared to before and, personally, it feels a bit more protected now that the hydro poles and planters sit between the sidewalk and the curb. A large section of Highway 7 in Woodbridge also only had a sidewalk on the north side before construction so already the pedestrian experience has been massively improved. Crossing intersections on Highway 7 or Yonge still feels like swimming with sharks given how wide the road has gotten, but I'm pretty sure the motorists and councilors would have put the brakes on the project even with just a mention of reducing lanes.
This is only the section between Yonge and Bathurst, which has a posted speed limit of 80 km/h (but reduced to 60 km/h during construction but no one follows it). Biking on the regular sections in on-street bike lines (VMC - Bowes, Chalmers - Town Centre, etc.) is different from this section on separated bike lanes (Dufferin - Highway 7, Bathurst - Yonge, Town Centre - Sciberras on Hwy 7, etc.). Don't know how I would compare the feeling of safety though.

Nice to see more of the Crossride intersections. Mississauga has been building off-road bike paths everywhere too but not as many Crossrides. They still put up those dumb "Cyclists dismount and walk bicycle across roadway" signs everywhere.

The Yonge section is delayed by more than a year due to property acquisition challenges.

So 4 years then. Still an awful lot of time to add a single lane of traffic to an existing roadway, especially considering that there are minimal utilities below the surface.

Dan

Nice to see more of the Crossride intersections. Mississauga has been building off-road bike paths everywhere too but not as many Crossrides. They still put up those dumb "Cyclists dismount and walk bicycle across roadway" signs everywhere.
Is the definition of Crossrides cycling lanes at and in intersections? If so, I agree, cyclists needing to dismount at intersections when merging with the sidewalks or merging into mixed traffic is not as good.

So 4 years then. Still an awful lot of time to add a single lane of traffic to an existing roadway, especially considering that there are minimal utilities below the surface.

Dan
Still if they manage to finish all the planned sections by 2020 it is still according to their first revised project timeline. They wouldve finished even earlier if the Libs didnt cut funding to infrastructure during the big move. They originally planned to have everything done a few years earlier ie: now. At least they are sticking to their estimates unlike ECT or the Line 1 extension

Mississauga just installed a ton of them along the Burnhamthorpe trail, albeit they still had temporary "cyclists dismount" signs up when I road it this summer as they weren't quite 100% complete yet..

Last week the top layer of asphalt was laid on both the eastbound and westbound lanes on Centre St. between Hwy 7 and Bathurst. Tonight they are laying down the red asphalt on the busway.

What's in Allandale's post, it's not showing up on my screen

What's in Allandale's post, it's not showing up on my screen

Back