News   Mar 28, 2024
 119     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 286     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 651     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Yet I ardently wish the municipalities would bury the utility wires and plant as many trees as possible to make our streets appear more appealing.

Not planting enough trees nowadays is hardly an issue--cities plant too many already IMO. Any denser tree and shrub planting and new suburbs would look like a scene out of The World After People:

Untitled.png

it'll use the existing highway 7 accesses, at least in the short term.

There is a high level master plan for the area with a bunch of new roads, but most of that is very far off. The only one that is planned to happen relatively soon I believe is to connect Cedar Avenue under the 407 to High Tech Road. The 407 has had a bridge built over the right of way for decades.
Cedar Avenue extension under the 407 is in the 2019 budget for York Region.

Also they are still confident that Cornell can be finished end of this year. Does anyone know of they are in substational construction at this time?

The steel supports for the station canopy went up last week. Looks like a lot of progress has been made on my last drive-by. Will try to get photos sometime soon.

Does anyone have any idea where the eastern section of Highway 7 East (Kennedy to the Cornell Terminal) would fall? "Remainder of Highway 7" shows up three times.
The first one is for design, the second one is for Enterprise, and the third one is for Helen-Hwy 50 and Unionville-Cornell. This is indicated by the other line in the document, referencing them as the 2031 planned completion.

Do they not intend to connect to the Cornell Terminal?
What do you mean? Cornell Terminal on Rose Way east of Ninth Line west of Bur Oak Ave. I don’t believe any preliminary design was done on the extension of the Rapidway, but I would assume it would go down to 4 general traffic lanes from 6 somewhere (east of McCowan?) and a new bus only road would be built in between Ninth Line and Bur Oak Ave for buses to turn off the median ROW on Highway 7 towards the terminal.

Here’s their future unfunded plan. I’m not sure why there’s are stations called “Markham Stouffville Hospital” and “Bur Oak” without “Ninth Line” though.
Unfunded_Projects_map_10_02_18.jpg

Back