News   Aug 14, 2020
 221     0 
News   Aug 14, 2020
 389     0 
News   Aug 14, 2020
 266     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow holy visual pollution Batman
lol...it's almost like a cartoon depicting exactly that. And people think me odd for not wanting to cycle up through those regions. I do distance to escape exactly that!

It's an amazingly good shot though, and it speaks nightmare...

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, it'll look much neater after the construction is complete. The Highway 7 and Newmarket Rapidways look decent. Yet I ardently wish the municipalities would bury the utility wires and plant as many trees as possible to make our streets appear more appealing. And add midrise development closer to the road to attenuate the barren, windswept effect of wide suburban roads.

Last edited:

Transportfan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yet I ardently wish the municipalities would bury the utility wires and plant as many trees as possible to make our streets appear more appealing.
Not planting enough trees nowadays is hardly an issue--cities plant too many already IMO. Any denser tree and shrub planting and new suburbs would look like a scene out of The World After People:

Untitled.png

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
it'll use the existing highway 7 accesses, at least in the short term.

There is a high level master plan for the area with a bunch of new roads, but most of that is very far off. The only one that is planned to happen relatively soon I believe is to connect Cedar Avenue under the 407 to High Tech Road. The 407 has had a bridge built over the right of way for decades.
Cedar Avenue extension under the 407 is in the 2019 budget for York Region.

oresama

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also they are still confident that Cornell can be finished end of this year. Does anyone know of they are in substational construction at this time?
The steel supports for the station canopy went up last week. Looks like a lot of progress has been made on my last drive-by. Will try to get photos sometime soon.

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea where the eastern section of Highway 7 East (Kennedy to the Cornell Terminal) would fall? "Remainder of Highway 7" shows up three times.
The first one is for design, the second one is for Enterprise, and the third one is for Helen-Hwy 50 and Unionville-Cornell. This is indicated by the other line in the document, referencing them as the 2031 planned completion.