News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 572     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 876     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Subway, Viva terminal, rapid way, and now the bridge expansion. Vaughan seems to be getting all the attention of York Region right now.
That’s because Vivanext is running out of funding for projects.

Well, Richmond Hill is also getting Rapidway while Markham is getting Stouffville GO upgrades and a terminal. I don't see any terrible bias against the other municipalities. It's likely just the staging of Rapidway construction which makes it seem like Vaughan is getting more.
Don’t forget the Highway 7 East Rapidway extension from Birchmount to Unionville GO, which is suppose to be done by 2021, even though no construction or a project page (that I can see) for it.

I don’t think there’s any routes confirmed, but the terminal was designed with not YRT routes in mind IIRC.

It's a big leap of faith to think that just because "not YRT" routes were designed for a facility that it will definitely host GO service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's a big leap of faith to think that just because "not YRT" routes were designed for a facility that it will definitely host GO service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Here’s the source:
Project Description
• An 11-bay bus terminal for YRT and Viva buses, with provisions for GO Transit and Durham Regional Transit in the future.
• A transit hub within walking distance to Markham- Stouffville Hospital and Cornell Community Centre & Library.
Also, the “not YRT” wording I used was not the best to use.

Here’s the source:

Also, the “not YRT” wording I used was not the best to use.

Again.....provisions. Not anything hard and defined regarding service.

And as I wrote before, there is no indication from inside GO that they will be serving the terminal when it opens, or any time after that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Again.....provisions. Not anything hard and defined regarding service.

And as I wrote before, there is no indication from inside GO that they will be serving the terminal when it opens, or any time after that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I never said that GO was 100% going to service Cornell, just that the terminal has the capacity and the possibility for including them.

Subway, Viva terminal, rapid way, and now the bridge expansion. Vaughan seems to be getting all the attention of York Region right now.

Obviously the construction is new but nothing in the Viva staging or planning is new. Vaughan has a subway station so, not surprisingly, they're trying to maximize the investment and provide a seamless connection the BRT. Managing a confederation as big as YR is probably challenging in many ways, but then that's why Davis Drive already has its rapidway. Most of the population and density and transit service in concentrated in this area, so that's where the investment is going. Markham and RH are doing fine too but, particularly with the subway (and adjacent bus terminal and Viva mega-station), it's not surprising Vaughan seems to be hogging the spotlight.

Don’t forget the Highway 7 East Rapidway extension from Birchmount to Unionville GO, which is suppose to be done by 2021, even though no construction or a project page (that I can see) for it.

I don't get why you keep complaining about this. It's being built as development progresses westward through the area. There's no good reason to build the rapidway before all the surrounding development.

I don't get why you keep complaining about this. It's being built as development progresses westward through the area. There's no good reason to build the rapidway before all the surrounding development.
I’m not complaining about it. I’m just pointing it out to people asking questions about Viva projects.

So it's essentially just a dedicated bus lane with fancy stops?
I’m not sure what you’re saying here. Are you asking a question (or criticizing) about the entire Viva Rapidway network, or are you just commenting on this segment (Yonge to Bathurst) not having any stops but having “fancy stops” at each end?

If they can get the light timing right, it will effectively be that.
There’s only 6 traffic lights on this segment, Bathurst at Flamingo/Worth, Hwy7 to Bathurst x2, Hwy7 at Hunters Point, and Hwy7 to Yonge x2, so I don’t think having light timing will help much.

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. Are you asking a question (or criticizing) about the entire Viva Rapidway network, or are you just commenting on this segment (Yonge to Bathurst) not having any stops but having “fancy stops” at each end?

There’s only 6 traffic lights on this segment, Bathurst at Flamingo/Worth, Hwy7 to Bathurst x2, Hwy7 at Hunters Point, and Hwy7 to Yonge x2, so I don’t think having light timing will help much.

I meant the whole thing. The plan is that the entire Highway 7/Centre St will be this way. If they have all those lights timed, that would be good.

I meant the whole thing. The plan is that the entire Highway 7/Centre St will be this way. If they have all those lights timed, that would be good.
Is it though? the main section has a full rapidway (both directions). Are you saying they may time the traffic lights for the reverse direction?
Bathurst Centre.png

Back