News   Apr 24, 2024
 479     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 656     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 512     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

^ Actually, the HMLRT EPR proposed a dedicated lane for the LRT between roughly Wellington and the Brampton GO Station on Main. It would have used one of the car lanes that's used a lot of on street parking. So the LRT in this stretch would not have been in "mixed traffic". Want to see the drawing?
They did, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

1608401667294.png

Looking at how narrow Main Street is here, your 2 options would be to A) Replace the center lanes with track which would leave basically no room for stations, or B) put the tracks on the outer lanes and convert the sidewalks into stations which would significantly worsen service by risking collisions with vehicles turning onto the street, and in general massively decrease the speed of the LRT in this area due to added risk of passengers walking on the tracks (see Waterfront West LRT and iON LRT for many of the issues that arise with curbside LRTs). Either way, both of the surface options would probably worsen transit in the area rather than improve it.

Re B) there isn't much that was proposed to change for the sidewalks on Main if you look at the actual plan and it was only for one stop, Queen. It would have been a minimal change. Have you seen what the plans proposed? Want me to post it?

The EPR said the speed would be limited to 30 km/hr for the LRVs, which isn't that far off probably from what it is now.

For safety, articulated buses use the stretch right now and it would only be three intersections where there are right turns, two of which have lights. A no right on red could even be done. So I don't see the safety being compromised to a great extent compared to the existing condition.

They did, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

View attachment 289861
Looking at how narrow Main Street is here, your 2 options would be to A) Replace the center lanes with track which would leave basically no room for stations, or B) put the tracks on the outer lanes and convert the sidewalks into stations which would significantly worsen service by risking collisions with vehicles turning onto the street, and in general massively decrease the speed of the LRT in this area due to added risk of passengers walking on the tracks (see Waterfront West LRT and iON LRT for many of the issues that arise with curbside LRTs). Either way, both of the surface options would probably worsen transit in the area rather than improve it.
I would suggest running the LRT on one side of the street and make it one way on the other. Reconfigure Wellington, Chapel and Theatre Ln to provide circulation in the opposite direction.

Lots of ways to solve this without spending a billion dollars. And this street should not be intended as a through-road for car traffic.

Great pics.

Probably great patience in waiting for an actual bus to pass by................

Makes me me think; if YRT could teach the TTC elegance in infrastructure; and TTC could teach frequent service (on paper) to YRT we'd be getting somewhere!

Side note, I see security cameras, are those standard at all VIVA stops?

Not sure what I think of that.........

Great pics.

Probably great patience in waiting for an actual bus to pass by................

Makes me me think; if YRT could teach the TTC elegance in infrastructure; and TTC could teach frequent service (on paper) to YRT we'd be getting somewhere!

Side note, I see security cameras, are those standard at all VIVA stops?

Not sure what I think of that.........
Thanks! I was lucky and didn’t have to wait too long haha. Plus the headways on Yonge south of Bernard are decent. That said the headways north of Bernard are quite atrocious, and none of the other Viva routes are good either (especially Viva orange which is something like twice an hour off peak). Standard YRT services are generally even worse.

90% agree on the second point - YRT service is really trash and TTC level frequent service would be absolutely amazing. The level of design excellence seen on the Viva BRT routes would also be nice to see elsewhere (like Eglinton for example - those “shelters”). They used very high quality looking pavers and planters. The heated and enclosed shelters are also really nice (though the automatic door to enter the heated shelter wasn’t working today at Bernard NB today for some reason).
That said, I do think they went a bit too far with the design and it’s a bit of a waste of money. Probably worth it in places like VMC, some stretches of Yonge, and Markham Centre, but in the more deserted stretches of the windswept suburban arterial wasteland, maintaining those planters and spending the money on the fancy pavers is definitely not worth the money imo lol. People driving by at 70 km/h in their SUVs aren’t even going to notice.
I also have to lament the painted line bike death lanes which were installed on some of the BRT corridors (like Hwy 7 Vaughan) and the lack of protected intersections (then again, that’s probably too much to expect), as well as how the planters on Yonge are in between the cycle track and sidewalk (instead of being in between the cycle track and roadway, where they would have provided a better buffer)

As for security cameras, I’m pretty sure they’re at all Viva stops. I‘m pretty sure they’re on most buses too.

That said, I do think they went a bit too far with the design and it’s a bit of a waste of money.

Maybe you have a point about the planters, but with the shelters I'm not too sure. Its probably easier and cheaper to have a one size fits all rapidway station design than it is to have different designs depending on where its located.

Thanks! I was lucky and didn’t have to wait too long haha. Plus the headways on Yonge south of Bernard are decent. That said the headways north of Bernard are quite atrocious, and none of the other Viva routes are good either (especially Viva orange which is something like twice an hour off peak). Standard YRT services are generally even worse.

90% agree on the second point - YRT service is really trash and TTC level frequent service would be absolutely amazing. The level of design excellence seen on the Viva BRT routes would also be nice to see elsewhere (like Eglinton for example - those “shelters”). They used very high quality looking pavers and planters. The heated and enclosed shelters are also really nice (though the automatic door to enter the heated shelter wasn’t working today at Bernard NB today for some reason).
That said, I do think they went a bit too far with the design and it’s a bit of a waste of money. Probably worth it in places like VMC, some stretches of Yonge, and Markham Centre, but in the more deserted stretches of the windswept suburban arterial wasteland, maintaining those planters and spending the money on the fancy pavers is definitely not worth the money imo lol. People driving by at 70 km/h in their SUVs aren’t even going to notice.
I also have to lament the painted line bike death lanes which were installed on some of the BRT corridors (like Hwy 7 Vaughan) and the lack of protected intersections (then again, that’s probably too much to expect), as well as how the planters on Yonge are in between the cycle track and sidewalk (instead of being in between the cycle track and roadway, where they would have provided a better buffer)

As for security cameras, I’m pretty sure they’re at all Viva stops. I‘m pretty sure they’re on most buses too.

From what I've come to understand the VIVA shelter design is over-engineered and unnecessarily expensive; I agree a bit more modesty in that regard would be fine. But the utility (proper canopy, proper back-wall coverage, indoor areas w/heating) is every bit as important. The fact it was also delivered in an aesthetically pleasing manner (even if that could have been achieved at 1/2 the cost) is a bonus.

Also, completely agree on the bike lanes.

Last edited:
Here's a video of the new Richmond Hill rapidway:
You see those two people walking north towards Major Mackenzie at 20:17? They are walking towards the Major Mackenzie rather than south to take the actual way. This is a major transfer location, so making people walk further is an inconvenience.

My view is that if they have such fancy shelters, then they should add free wi-fi (at least at select heavily-utilized stops). They already have it at the terminals. As for the service itself, it's time for Yonge to have 24-hour service, which would require as little as adding 2-3 extra trips in each direction (so 4-6 total) to Route 98/99. It'll connect nicely with the TTC's 320 Yonge and GO's Route 40.

On behalf of Brampton, I would like to thank York Region for building the Viva Orange stations west of VMC, as the Initial Business Case for the Queen Street - Highway 7 BRT, says Viva Orange should terminate at VMC. On the plus side, compared to Viva frequency, an improved 501 Queen Zum would likely be found more than satisfactory for YRT Riders.

Back