News   Mar 28, 2024
 48     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Just asked a question to YRT on Twitter about their plans for servicing the new Park 'n' Ride at Major Mackenzie and Highway 404. It seems that their reasoning for not having the local "Frequent Transit Network" buses stopping at the bus loop is that it would take extra time. This is kind of reasonable, especially when it comes to Gormely GO (you wouldn't want to fight with cars exiting the station), but how much traffic would there be at a parking lot next to a highway in a suburban area?
upload_2018-8-14_10-25-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-14_10-25-57.png
    upload_2018-8-14_10-25-57.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 933
yrt3.jpg

What do you guys think? Good compromise for the cutting of Viva Purple? LOTS of people are bitching about the outright elimination of Viva Purple west of Yonge Street. I dont know what theyre thinking. There are sometimes fully seated loads during rush hour. And they just expect all those people to suddenly start paying a double fare AND make 2 transfers to get to York.

I bet having my fictional Route 97 run to Finch Stn would generate more ridership than it does going to Pioneer Village (like it currently does). Having this route split in 2 definitely makes sense.

yrt3.jpg

What do you guys think? Good compromise for the cutting of Viva Purple? LOTS of people are bitching about the outright elimination of Viva Purple west of Yonge Street. I dont know what theyre thinking. There are sometimes fully seated loads during rush hour. And they just expect all those people to suddenly start paying a double fare AND make 2 transfers to get to York.

I bet having my fictional Route 97 run to Finch Stn would generate more ridership than it does going to Pioneer Village (like it currently does). Having this route split in 2 definitely makes sense.

I like it.

I also think that York Region shouldn't have rolled over in removing its buses from campus if GO, which definitely has an agreement to use the York Commons, is still going to serve it for now, despite the advantages it has over YRT moving its buses off campus (a greater operational savings, improved connections for some riders, a co-fare that YRT lacks).

I still think it's all an excuse to chop from (or at least freeze) YRT's budget.

And they just expect all those people to suddenly start paying a double fare AND make 2 transfers to get to York.

I actually don't expect that. Instead I expect Steeles/Northwest Gate to resemble Yonge/Dundas during rush hours. As I've said, the distance isn't a problem (it's about the same as a walk across campus or from The Village to York). It's the fact that the walk involves crossing a major street when an underground connection exists (but you can't use it without paying a TTC fare). Imagine doing that in the rain or in winter.

And good suggestion re: Thornhill routes. I highly suggest you pitch it to YRT officially at one of their community sessions.

YRT staff handcuffed a man at Richmond Hill Centre this morning. Anyone have more information?

January service changes are up.

Viva Pink looks to be getting a few minor frequency increases - morning peak hours will go from 16 minute frequencies to 13 minute frequencies. Evening peak will go from 16 to 14 minute frequencies.

Viva Green will also apparently get a marginal service increase, going from 23-25 minute frequencies to 21 minute frequencies.

Woohoo.

January service changes are up.

Viva Pink looks to be getting a few minor frequency increases - morning peak hours will go from 16 minute frequencies to 13 minute frequencies. Evening peak will go from 16 to 14 minute frequencies.

Viva Green will also apparently get a marginal service increase, going from 23-25 minute frequencies to 21 minute frequencies.

Those look like running time adjustments rather than adding additional vehicles.

Those look like running time adjustments rather than adding additional vehicles.

In the case of Green, it is certainly the addition of another vehicle. They have continually added more and more running time to the route over the years as the traffic, especially on Esna Park, Warden and Finch has gotten worse. Taking running time away would make the route far more unpredictable than it already can be.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

16 to 13 minute frequencies means it would go from 11 buses during the peak 3 hour period to 14, and given the time it takes to run a full trip, I imagine they just added another bus to the route.

Some service rationalization measures are proposed by YRT in their 2019 budget to take place in 2019 and 2020. With the exception of VIVA, all the adjustments are to routes and service periods with very low cost recovery ratios of 7-21%. These adjustments will help reduce the budget outlay by approximately $1.5 million in each of 2019 and 2020.
  • All VIVA routes - late night frequency reductions
  • 520/521 Newmarket Community bus - discontinue Sunday service
  • 522 Markham Community bus - discontinue Saturday service, provide on-demand service
  • 589/590 Richmond Hill Community bus - discontinue Saturday and Sunday service, provide on-demand service
  • 22 King City - discontinue Saturday service
  • 44 Bristol - discontinue Saturday service
  • 56 Gorham - discontinue Sunday service
  • 51 Keswick Local - discontinue, provide on-demand service
  • 223/223A Newmarket GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 242 North Richvale GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 320 Beaver Creek - discontinue
  • 15 Stouffville - discontinue
  • 28 Huntington - discontinue

Some service rationalization measures are proposed by YRT in their 2019 budget to take place in 2019 and 2020. With the exception of VIVA, all the adjustments are to routes and service periods with very low cost recovery ratios of 7-21%. These adjustments will help reduce the budget outlay by approximately $1.5 million in each of 2019 and 2020.
  • All VIVA routes - late night frequency reductions
  • 520/521 Newmarket Community bus - discontinue Sunday service
  • 522 Markham Community bus - discontinue Saturday service, provide on-demand service
  • 589/590 Richmond Hill Community bus - discontinue Saturday and Sunday service, provide on-demand service
  • 22 King City - discontinue Saturday service
  • 44 Bristol - discontinue Saturday service
  • 56 Gorham - discontinue Sunday service
  • 51 Keswick Local - discontinue, provide on-demand service
  • 223/223A Newmarket GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 242 North Richvale GO Shuttle - discontinue
  • 320 Beaver Creek - discontinue
  • 15 Stouffville - discontinue
  • 28 Huntington - discontinue
So they're not reallocating the savings to peek and mid-day service?

Back