News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 582     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Why would running a new route need a deal with the TTC? It's just replacing the western Viva Purple route but not going south of Steeles.
well, without direct access to york lanes as the proposed route map suggested there will be not much point in introducing new routes that are served by similar ones already in service. itll be too much overlap

well, without direct access to york lanes as the proposed route map suggested there will be not much point in introducing new routes that are served by similar ones already in service. itll be too much overlap
Well, there's only 2 routes that YRT runs on Highway 407 west on Yonge, and none of them get off at Keele, so having one that was a EXPRESS bus from Richmond Hill Centre Terminal to Pioneer Village Terminal that goes Yonge-407-Keele-Steeles. This would serve a specific rider base from north and east of RHC. Not having a direct (even if local) route from RHC to PV feels crazy to me.

I cross-posted this to the TYSEE thread, but since it deals with YRT/Viva service, it's appropriate.

York Region Transit announced that it is pulling out of York University as of September 2.

They're telling their passengers that only five routes - Route 3 - Thornhill, Route 20 - Jane, Route 96 - Keele-Yonge, Route 107/107B - Keele, and Route 165/165F - Weston will serve the Pioneer Village Station, and you'll have to walk across Steeles and into the campus to avoid a double fare. That's a long walk from the old bus stops near the York Lanes and Ontario Archives.

Viva purple will be cut back to the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal - they're told to transfer at Richmond Hill Centre to Viva Orange, and then transfer to a YRT bus or pay a TTC fare at VMC to get to campus.

It's a failure of the subway to actually make it easier to get to campus from York Region, a failure of York Region Transit, which is cutting back service (the Viva Purple, which used to go to campus), and regional transit coordination in general.

The shortened Viva Purple route will operate with these frequencies:
  • Early morning - approximately 13 minutes
  • Morning rush hour - approximately 10 minutes
  • Midday - approximately 14 minutes
  • Afternoon rush hour - approximately 11 minutes
  • Early Evening - approximately 20 minutes
  • Late Evening - approximately 18 minutes
With service levels like that, why bother building busways?

So I guess I was wrong about the transition period. But the main issue is that the walk from Pioneer Village YRT Terminal to York U is outdoor and requires crossing Steeles (meaning you'll probably have to wait for a walk signal). You can't walk through the subway station without entering the fare-paid zone.

In the original 2018 plan, they wanted a new 100 Route to replaced Viva Purple from RHC to YorkU, but they decided to go to a weekday only Viva Purple service to YorkU (which was a better idea but a bit confusing), and now they're removing any direct service from RHC to YorkU? Why couldn't they run a route that went from RHC to Pioneer Village Terminal via Highway 407 during weekdays? I guess it wouldn't be cost effective.
View attachment 152726

Maybe they realized that it would cut into Viva Orange's ridership. With this arrangement, I expect a significant boost to Orange's ridership.

You can't walk through the subway station without entering the fare-paid zone.
This IMO is the weirdest thing about Pioneer Village Station. In addition to the (almost) unnecessary entrance at the southeast corner of the intersection (which only has stairs) and the long walk from the platform to TTC bus terminal, why isn't there an underground fair unpaid concourse between the two Steeles Ave entrances?

So I guess I was wrong about the transition period. But the main issue is that the walk from Pioneer Village YRT Terminal to York U is outdoor and requires crossing Steeles (meaning you'll probably have to wait for a walk signal). You can't walk through the subway station without entering the fare-paid zone.
I am visiting Pioneer station today for the first time.......but why would they design it such that you have to enter the paid fare zone to cut across the street.....one of the first pedestrian tricks I learned in Toronto is that using subway stations is often the best way to make crossings at busy intersections.

I am visiting Pioneer station today for the first time.......but why would they design it such that you have to enter the paid fare zone to cut across the street.....one of the first pedestrian tricks I learned in Toronto is that using subway stations is often the best way to make crossings at busy intersections.
Because they want you to auto-load a Metropass onto your Presto card. /s

It's worse. You have to enter the fare-paid zone, go down to the platform level, walk to the other end, then go up two stories back to street level.

It's worse. You have to enter the fare-paid zone, go down to the platform level, walk to the other end, then go up two stories back to street level.
going down and then up is not a big deal....those of us who use subways to cut across streets are used to that.....but not if I am going to have to pay for it!

going down and then up is not a big deal....those of us who use subways to cut across streets are used to that.....but not if I am going to have to pay for it!
I've always wondered why they couldn't add programming to Presto that if you come in and out of the same station within 5 minutes, you get your fare refunded.

My apartment building is connected to Bloor-Yonge Station and I've often wanted to get to Hayden without walking outside but can't because I don't have a Metropass.

I've always wondered why they couldn't add programming to Presto that if you come in and out of the same station within 5 minutes, you get your fare refunded.

My apartment building is connected to Bloor-Yonge Station and I've often wanted to get to Hayden without walking outside but can't because I don't have a Metropass.

I don't think the TTC has any interest in allowing this.

Asked Brampton Transit what their plan is for September. It's a lot better than York Region's weaksauce.

(@BramptonTransit):

"... I apologize for the delayed response. Effective September 4 the 501 Züm will no longer serve York University. The route ends at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station. The 501A and 501C Züm Queen will continue to service York University via Highway 407. ^JT"

It's disappointing that the 501 and 501A/C will have different terminal points now, but I understand the reasoning. York wants most buses off its campus, and somehow, Brampton will save its customers going to York University from the double-fare or a long walk from the north side of Pioneer Village Station.

The 501C was introduced last year as supplementary express service to meet the demand. They're also promising more service on the Queen Street corridor this fall.

But it also means no one-seat ride to York U via 501 for Woodbridge passengers.

Back