News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.4K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 974     6 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Hey, does anyone know where I can find data for the Viva bus ridership before and after the BRT opened? I'm trying to determine how much the BRT caused ridership to increase, if at all.

i think they posted viewerships a long time ago but youll probably have to check the YRT archives in person. Or you can try the wayback machine......

Hey, does anyone know where I can find data for the Viva bus ridership before and after the BRT opened? I'm trying to determine how much the BRT caused ridership to increase, if at all.

Their annual reports have route-by-route breakdowns. They're probably all archived at the region's website (I presume you're talking about comparing the ridership from launch at 2005 to when the Rapdways came on line as opposed to comparing to pre-Viva YRT?)

I imagine the easiest way is to start looking at the January reports from 2006 on here:
http://archives.york.ca/councilcommitteearchives/defaultpreviousagendas.html

Viva data should be in the YRT reports but you can also check the YRRTC reports for info on that kind of stuff.

Good luck!

It's tricky to get real numbers. GO killed it's Yonge 'C' bus (2 million trips per year) shortly before VIVA opened. I recall positive "huzzah, York Region transit investments grows ridership to record levels" press based on that transfer.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/docs/publications/GO_Annual_Report_2004-05.pdf

It's tricky to get real numbers. GO killed it's Yonge 'C' bus (2 million trips per year) shortly before VIVA opened. I recall positive "huzzah, York Region transit investments grows ridership to record levels" press based on that transfer.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/docs/publications/GO_Annual_Report_2004-05.pdf

The GO Yonge "C" and Bayview local buses were abolished a year or two before Viva, replaced by YRT Routes 91 and 99. The full-service "B" bus - the GO limited-stop bus to Newmarket - lasted a little bit longer, until Viva Blue was extended from Bernard Avenue to Newmarket Terminal. A few "B" rush hour runs remained for a few years after that.

I drive a lot on Hwy7. When I stop at red light and a large percent of the passengers I saw walking to the station do not swipe their presto. Are they all monthly pass holders?

I drive a lot on Hwy7. When I stop at red light and a large percent of the passengers I saw walking to the station do not swipe their presto. Are they all monthly pass holders?

I will say that to this day I see a LOT of riders on my local YRT bus with a pass or paying with a ticket. I also regularly see people at Vivastations validating a ticket, and lots of people using the kiosk to buy tickets. I rarely see people besides myself tapping their Presto card on vivastations--and on my YRT bus I really only see it at the GO station for the train connecting runs.

That, or they could have previously tapped from either another VIVA bus or RT bus in the last 2 hours.

Why would YRT still be using passes and tickets? TTC is still hoping to eliminate these on January 1st 2017, if the Presto installation continues on schedule, so as to save money.

(I can maybe see a case for tickets, given that they still haven't rolled out the single-use Presto paper tickets ... but passes?)

one particular flaw with Presto and YRT that even YRT admitted themselves they have no solution to:
Say someone took Pink to Woodbine or any TTC North route, paid with Presto and wanted to transfer. Unfortunately because
theres still no Presto Readers yet, one cannot transfer like they would normally do if they had a paper transfer found on a normal bus.
And seeing that terminal presto readers in YRT arent enabled to print tickets, the rider is pretty much out of luck. Hopefully the readers for the TTC buses operating in YR are programmed to accept YRT transfers without double paying.

Why would YRT still be using passes and tickets? TTC is still hoping to eliminate these on January 1st 2017, if the Presto installation continues on schedule, so as to save money.

(I can maybe see a case for tickets, given that they still haven't rolled out the single-use Presto paper tickets ... but passes?)

one particular flaw with Presto and YRT that even YRT admitted themselves they have no solution to:
Say someone took Pink to Woodbine or any TTC North route, paid with Presto and wanted to transfer. Unfortunately because
theres still no Presto Readers yet, one cannot transfer like they would normally do if they had a paper transfer found on a normal bus.
And seeing that terminal presto readers in YRT arent enabled to print tickets, the rider is pretty much out of luck. Hopefully the readers for the TTC buses operating in YR are programmed to accept YRT transfers without double paying.

YRT is still retaining their tickets because of the many north-south TTC routes that run through the region. These buses still don't have PRESTO readers so as of now YRT stilll produces paper tickets and physical monthly passes to accommodate those who travel on TTC routes in York Region. I wouldn't necessarily call it a flaw however, as YRT has always communicated the lack of PRESTO on TTC buses and has explicitly stated that tickets and physical passes willl remain for that reason, right from the get-go.

YRT is still retaining their tickets because of the many north-south TTC routes that run through the region. These buses still don't have PRESTO readers so as of now YRT stilll produces paper tickets and physical monthly passes to accommodate those who travel on TTC routes in York Region. I wouldn't necessarily call it a flaw however, as YRT has always communicated the lack of PRESTO on TTC buses and has explicitly stated that tickets and physical passes willl remain for that reason, right from the get-go.
But where does one get the transfer to get on TTC when riding VIVA? Is there a button on the VIVA machine at the stop I've missed?

Though presumably this ends in a few months when TTC bus rollout is complete.

Back