News   Jul 12, 2024
 821     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

But I thought they were run privately and this kind of stuff never happens in the private sector. lol

Honestly, I think instead of scrapping Pink they should properly stagger them with Purple as to increase frequencies. I hate it when I see Purple and Pink come back to back, because for people who are simply going to RHC, it makes no difference which one they take. If they were staggered, then instead of the 10-15 minute intervals they could achieve 5 minute intervals, even if it's only for the rush periods.

Perhaps they're already trying to do this, but it's just not obvious because they tend to clump together and attempt to leapfrog each other at one point or another.

But I thought they were run privately and this kind of stuff never happens in the private sector. lol

I don't think you are alone. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about what privatization does to a transit system. It might result in better customer service (due to competition), but it does not result in a reduction in costs or an elimination of strikes.

Then ther YRT's higher fares as well. Privatization supposed to reduce costs and be more efficient, it just makes things worse.

Honestly, I think instead of scrapping Pink they should properly stagger them with Purple as to increase frequencies. I hate it when I see Purple and Pink come back to back, because for people who are simply going to RHC, it makes no difference which one they take. If they were staggered, then instead of the 10-15 minute intervals they could achieve 5 minute intervals, even if it's only for the rush periods.

Perhaps they're already trying to do this, but it's just not obvious because they tend to clump together and attempt to leapfrog each other at one point or another.

I thought they did this already. Seems like the obvious thing to do. Why else make the frequencies the same? I'm surprised...

Then ther YRT's higher fares as well. Privatization supposed to reduce costs and be more efficient, it just makes things worse.

I thought they did this already. Seems like the obvious thing to do. Why else make the frequencies the same? I'm surprised...

Silly request ... you can't regulate frequencies within 5 min ... they try but it's not consistent ... many times they show up together ... many times they don't.

While Viva doesn't suffer from bunching as much as the TTC lately (i.e. the last year) I've seen some bunching so to speak in rush hour i.e. 2 viva pinks come within 5 min and the next doesn't come for over 16+ min.

Viva's growing up! *holds back tears*

Last edited:
Silly request ... you can't regulate frequencies within 5 min ... they try but it's not consistent ... many times they show up together ... many times they don't.

While Viva doesn't suffer from bunching as much as the TTC lately (i.e. the last year) I've seen some bunching so to speak in rush hour i.e. 2 viva pinks come within 5 min and the next doesn't come for over 16+ min.

Well, it's probably a lot easier to provide 5 minute frequency when one bus is scheduled to arrive at 5 minute intervals, rather scheduling 2 buses to arrive at the same time at 10 minute intervals. Actually making an attempt to provide a service at a certain frequnecy, probably increases the likelihood of buses arriving at that frequency. Bunching could be less of a problem if certain buses weren't scheduled to be bunched to begin with.

I mean, should the TTC not bother scheduling its buses 3-4 minutes apart on all its major routes, just because there is a chance that some buses become off schedule? Really, I don't understand your reasoning at all...

Well, it's probably a lot easier to provide 5 minute frequency when one bus is scheduled to arrive at 5 minute intervals, rather scheduling 2 buses to arrive at the same time at 10 minute intervals. Actually making an attempt to provide a service at a certain frequnecy, probably increases the likelihood of buses arriving at that frequency. Bunching could be less of a problem if certain buses weren't scheduled to be bunched to begin with.

I mean, should the TTC not bother scheduling its buses 3-4 minutes apart on all its major routes, just because there is a chance that some buses become off schedule? Really, I don't understand your reasoning at all...

If they can great! What I meant was in practice it doesn't work on a consistent basis. If pinks and purples are suppose to be interleaved at 5min frequencies effectively (and this is in practice today) it fails miserably on a consistent basis, at least during the morning and afternoon rush.

Eh? Do you mean having one route arrive at a stop at 5 minute intervals vs staggering multiple routes. Cuz having a single bus do that would require a route that is 10 min long or less.

Eh? Do you mean having one route arrive at a stop at 5 minute intervals vs staggering multiple routes. Cuz having a single bus do that would require a route that is 10 min long or less.

Eh? Where did I say a single bus for an entire route?

If they can great! What I meant was in practice it doesn't work on a consistent basis. If pinks and purples are suppose to be interleaved at 5min frequencies effectively (and this is in practice today) it fails miserably on a consistent basis, at least during the morning and afternoon rush.

Huh? According to xtremesniper's post and the schedules posted on YRT website, buses on Purple and Pink are currently not spaced evenly at 5 minute intervals. It is mostly 2 and 8 minute intervals, and some 1 and 9 minute intervals as well...

Pink and Purple buses bunch now because they are scheduled to bunch...

Eh? Where did I say a single bus for an entire route?

Huh? According to xtremesniper's post and the schedules posted on YRT website, buses on Purple and Pink are currently not spaced evenly at 5 minute intervals. It is mostly 2 and 8 minute intervals, and some 1 and 9 minute intervals as well...

Pink and Purple buses bunch now because they are scheduled to bunch...

Okay, they can attempt to improve that ... but, based on what I've seen they pretty off there schedules anyway so I think it'll be a challenge in rush hour.

There's no doubt that this would be a bit of a challenge, but why bother defending it? Mass transit in areas of the world that have much higher frequencies than here seem to be able to manage high frequency service fine. Are we to just assume that we can never achieve evenly spaced out service at the 5 minute mark? There may be a time in the future where instead of it being a "nice to have", it may be required...

Obviously it's hard to maintain because Pink leaves and joins Purple in the middle of its route (and bad weather or unforeseen circumstances are always an issue), but I wouldn't say it would be impossible. A challenge is a challenge. They get paid to improve transit, right? I'd expect them to at least attempt to do so.

Obviously it's hard to maintain because Pink leaves and joins Purple in the middle of its route (and bad weather or unforeseen circumstances are always an issue), but I wouldn't say it would be impossible. A challenge is a challenge. They get paid to improve transit, right? I'd expect them to at least attempt to do so.

It really isn't any that different from the branched routes you already find in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, and of course in York Region. Branched routes are basically just multiple routes combined into one, aren't they? There's no reason combining Pink and Purple should be any more difficult. Actually it should be less difficult for Viva considering its POP system and increased reliability of the buses thanks to POP... I mean, that was the whole point of Viva, was it not?

Got to ride 1086 today, enjoy:
Run number: LFX
No destination displayed, pulled into Finch to drop off passengers then left NIS

IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg

As for the experience:
When you step on you know right away that it's a Nova. Because of my experience with Brampton's Novas on the 77 the LFX doesn't really have any of that 'feel' that's found on the AG300s. Even with all the decor and sprucing up to meet the so called 'Viva standard,' it still has that cheap feel when compared to the interior of the AG300

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Got to ride 1086 today, enjoy:
Run number: LFX
No destination displayed, pulled into Finch to drop off passengers then left NIS

The Novas have been in service for a few days now, but I've yet to see the destination sign in action. It always seems to be off, even though the buses are clearly in service, picking up passengers. I wonder what that's about.

Am I the only one who thinks those hubcaps look awful? The chrome rims on the Van Hools looked nice, but these look like cheap plastic. I walked up to one at Clark to get a closer look at the bus, and those hubcaps really stood out to me.

Viva's growing up! *holds back tears*

Yes, the little baby's now playing with the big boys! Who would have guessed that a route in York Region could compete with major TTC Routes in terms of ridership and frequency? Viva Blue now has a ridership of 21 000/day (inc. YRT 98/99), which is in line with major TTC bus routes.

Bunching is a fact of growing up. It can be reduced, but not avoided, especially with so many service patterns. For example, Yonge Street has to deal with four different stopping patterns (Blue/Pink, Blue"A", 98E and 98/99) as well as buses leaving at RHC and short-turning at Bernard.
As I cross Yonge street in the morning, it is actually more common to see bunched buses than single ones. That really doesn't matter though, because of the tsunami of buses flowing down Yonge. On one hand, I could point to the fact I always see bunched buses, but on the other, I could point to the fact that I can't even remember the last time I've crossed the street without seeing any buses at all.

Hopefully increased service frequency on Hwy 7 as the area develops will make bunching less of an issue there, though evenly interspersing buses would obviously help matters.

Last edited:

Back