News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

But people get on at the Promenade as well.

I'm not denying that. People get on at RHC as well, but that doesn't mean an alternate routing that skips those stops shouldn't be possible. They're clearly having success with it on the Blue line, so why not on Purple?

My point was that in the morning rush hour, the bus is often packed to the brim from RHC, which makes the stops on Bathurst irrelevant because no one can get on. If they add an alternate "A" routing, it would be a win-win situation beacuse buses that are less full would show up at the Promenade, allowing people to actually get to where they need to go.

I'm not denying that. People get on at RHC as well, but that doesn't mean an alternate routing that skips those stops shouldn't be possible. They're clearly having success with it on the Blue line, so why not on Purple?

My point was that in the morning rush hour, the bus is often packed to the brim from RHC, which makes the stops on Bathurst irrelevant because no one can get on. If they add an alternate "A" routing, it would be a win-win situation beacuse buses that are less full would show up at the Promenade, allowing people to actually get to where they need to go.

I suppose, but even if this did happen, I'd bet it would still keep with the former Highway 7 routing (Bathurst and Center St) rather than take Highway 7 straight to Keele.

Or maybe VIVA starts running articulated buses on Purple.

the artics are needed on Yonge as the demand there is not just during peak but all day.

I suppose, but even if this did happen, I'd bet it would still keep with the former Highway 7 routing (Bathurst and Center St) rather than take Highway 7 straight to Keele.

And that would infuriate me because there are 3 traffic lights between Bathurst and Centre on Hwy 7 as opposed to about 9 of them along the Bathurst/Centre route.

the artics are needed on Yonge as the demand there is not just during peak but all day.

Then they could theoretically incorporate the artics on a peak hour basis. I think the issue here is that they just don't have enough of them to do that, otherwise it would be a no-brainer. They add and remove buses from the route all day long so they could easily toss in a few artics to ease the crush in the morning and afternoons. When I used to get on at York, anytime after 3:30pm until at least 6pm, you could never get on the first bus that arrives unless you piss people off and push your way through and cut in front of people. It's like they're second class citizens at times.

Well, after my first few days of class, I've decided to switch from the GO to YRT. First, when you get to Langstaff, there is no parking available during the midday. Therefore I have to park in the Richmond Hill Center lot, and the walk to the Langstaff bus stop can be up to 15 minutes long! Any time you save on the route is lost during this walk. Secondly, the cost. It is $3.60 per ride ($36.50 for 10 tickets on a student discount) as opposed to $2.60 for the Viva ($26 for 10 tickets). When I factor in gas, it adds about a dollar each way. If I use a YRT Ride-to-GO it only adds 50 cents, but that is still nearly 60% more than taking the YRT exclusively.

This whole dilemma must be similar to east end commuters deciding to take the subway all the way downtown, or transfer to the GO at Main/Danforth. While the subway makes numerous stops and requires a transfer at Yonge, the GO train is direct to Union. However, it costs more and any time saved on the ride would be lost on the walk to transfer.

This whole dilemma must be similar to east end commuters deciding to take the subway all the way downtown, or transfer to the GO at Main/Danforth. While the subway makes numerous stops and requires a transfer at Yonge, the GO train is direct to Union. However, it costs more and any time saved on the ride would be lost on the walk to transfer.
Indeed. I live about a 20-minute walk from Danforth (though I've gotten there in 10, when I'm late for my train, and my streetcar isn't coming), or 4 minutes on the streetcar. The only time it pays to take GO is if I'm starting/ending right at Union (rather than having to walk 5 minutes) and the train will be coming within a few minutes (remember service is only hourly) ... or if I'm going a bit further; it almost always pays to take it to Exhibition.

It's certainly a nice option in TTC strike - and I expect we'll be in for a few months of that, if all our mayoral candidates fulfil their promise of trying to extract blood from the union next year.

The new Nova Viva buses are here. There was a press conference at the Warden and Enterprise rapidway on the 10th where the bus was displayed, and one of the new buses is in Vancouver now for the transit trade show. Go to the bottom of this page to see detailed photos of it when it passed through Calgary.

I'm impressed with how they look. They are very similar to how they were dipicted in the renderings posted earlier in this thread. They even have tables at the rear like the current artics. The new seats aren't as high as the current buses, but they are the ones found on the new YRT buses and I find them pretty comfortable.

The new Nova Viva buses are here. There was a press conference at the Warden and Enterprise rapidway on the 10th where the bus was displayed, and one of the new buses is in Vancouver now for the transit trade show. Go to the bottom of this page to see detailed photos of it when it passed through Calgary.

I'm impressed with how they look. They are very similar to how they were dipicted in the renderings posted earlier in this thread. They even have tables at the rear like the current artics. The new seats aren't as high as the current buses, but they are the ones found on the new YRT buses and I find them pretty comfortable.

Thank you for the link to the photos. I was disappointed that Viva's own press release didn't include any pictures.

I have to say, I'm not liking the new buses. The Van Hools had a very sleek, cool look to them. These just look like TTC buses trying to look like those Van Hools.

*sigh*

The back is blocky, and full of ugly vents, but they try to position the lights like the old Vivas, which looks like they're trying too hard.

The front, god I hope they don't keep those white. I thought it was a plan YRT bus from the front.

The sides, you can see the beginning and end of each and every window sticking out. The original Viva's sides were smooth and consistent.

I'm disappointed, but I guess what should I have expected from Canadian over-paid union workers. Whatever.

Thank you for the link to the photos. I was disappointed that Viva's own press release didn't include any pictures.

No problem. The York Region news release has another photo of the front up-close here.

I have to say, I'm not liking the new buses. The Van Hools had a very sleek, cool look to them. These just look like TTC buses trying to look like those Van Hools.

*sigh*

The back is blocky, and full of ugly vents, but they try to position the lights like the old Vivas, which looks like they're trying too hard.

The front, god I hope they don't keep those white. I thought it was a plan YRT bus from the front.

The sides, you can see the beginning and end of each and every window sticking out. The original Viva's sides were smooth and consistent.

I'm disappointed, but I guess what should I have expected from Canadian over-paid union workers. Whatever.

Don't worry, the front in those first photos just has a protective board for delivery. It will come off after they deliver them.

I think the edges of the windows may be exexaggerated because of the thin layer dirt that has built up on the sides. In this photo of the same model I think the windows look more smooth.

No problem. The York Region news release has another photo of the front up-close here.

Don't worry, the front in those first photos just has a protective board for delivery. It will come off after they deliver them.

I think the edges of the windows may be exexaggerated because of the thin layer dirt that has built up on the sides. In this photo of the same model I think the windows look more smooth.

Ah, I see. Okay, well hopefully it looks better in person than it does in those photos. I just noticed that the front door isn't a 50/50 split. Seems more like a 20/80 split opening. Kind of odd, no?

I still don't like how the back of the bus looks, though. =P And I'm also not looking forward to another fare increase. They cite these new buses and the bus lanes as reasons for a 25 cent increase, but I thought all those initiatives were funded by regional, provincial and federal money? Why does the YRT insist on having the most expensive fare on the continent?

The NovaBus LFX looks like a cheap knock-off of a Van Hool AG300 in those pictures. You can argue about the actual build quality, but it's clearly an imitation. It has a fake rooftop cooling unit where the Van Hools had theirs (the actual cooling unit is at the back of the Nova Bus). It has a very similar front to the Van Hools (to be fair the LFS was always like that), and the same grey plastic box that the driver's in.

I can't quite put my finger on it but something about the NovaBus makes it look a lot more sloppy and clumsy than the Van Hools.

One thing I do like is the placement of the doors. In the Van Hool AG300, the middle door is too far forward, so if you're in the articulation, you're quite a long way from a door so you have to push past lots of people to get out.

Ah, I see. Okay, well hopefully it looks better in person than it does in those photos. I just noticed that the front door isn't a 50/50 split. Seems more like a 20/80 split opening. Kind of odd, no?

Nova calls that the 1/3 2/3 door. It's basically to control passenger flow. The larger leafe can open independently to alow a stream of passengers to enter so the driver has an easier view of passes and transfers. The smaller leaf is opened with the larger leaf when a wheelchair needs to board. However in Viva's case, this feature seems redundant as it is proof of payment.

Also I'm a bit surprised all three doors were not specified with the wide width option. For BRT you want improved flow with a wide door. My guess is they wanted the space used by the wide door option for an extra two seats. I hope at least operators will open both leaves of the front door for boarding and alighting so there is one wide door.

I can't quite put my finger on it but something about the NovaBus makes it look a lot more sloppy and clumsy than the Van Hools.

The Van Hool does look more sleek than the Nova (though I personally wouldn't say sloppy). It might be the Van Hool has softer lines particularly around the headlight and tail light fixtures.

Last edited:
I actually am looking forward to the new buses. The seats look far more comfortable, and I've always liked Nova's design.

As for the YRT fare hike, it happens every year. Sure they'll make up shit about improvements (I'm still waiting for wi-fi on my bus), but it is all due to mismanagement. To add insult to injury, you might get a small blurb about it in the back of the paper, but the second there is even a hint of a TTC fare increase, it is front page news (and there is no contest on which company offers better transit). Seems like with all the fancy buses and websites, YRT seems hellbent on pushing choice riders away from transit and taking advantage of lower income people who are forced to rely on it.

But hey, now I remember why I'd rather drive to the mall rather than ride my bike and take the bus. Thanks YRT for making our unsustainable community even more so.

Back