News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

I don't get why they always have to come up with some pointless excuse, just to delay the process. The amount of noise coming from that LRT should not be as loud as the current streetcars running downtown, right? I mean, I live a good 5 minute walk from a nearby major street and I can already hear the sounds of cars and trucks driving by, honking and what not. Does she prefer the sound of a trailer crashing through her backyard?

I drive at least once a week along Don Mills/Leslie between Steeles and Major Mac, and I see absolutely no reason to waste even a pittance of thought on a full grade separation. The nature of the corridor between Steeles and Hwy 7 doesn't justify that kind of infrastructure.

Building an elevated guideway there does not make sense indeed; and perhaps it is not even doable.

However, locating the LRT line next to Hwy 404 between Steeles and Hwy 407 should be considered. The real purpose of that line is to connect the Hwy 7 / Leslie / 16th Ave employment area to the Sheppard subway and eastern part of North York. The residential section of Don Mills / Leslie between Steeles and Hwy 407 won't generate many trips anyway.

So, if the line placed next to Hwy 404 can be built cheaper and run faster, why not ... At least, this option should be looked at during the EA.

Building an elevated guideway there does not make sense indeed; and perhaps it is not even doable.

However, locating the LRT line next to Hwy 404 between Steeles and Hwy 407 should be considered. The real purpose of that line is to connect the Hwy 7 / Leslie / 16th Ave employment area to the Sheppard subway and eastern part of North York. The residential section of Don Mills / Leslie between Steeles and Hwy 407 won't generate many trips anyway.

So, if the line placed next to Hwy 404 can be built cheaper and run faster, why not ... At least, this option should be looked at during the EA.

There's not really much space to do it there. As well, it would make a really awkward turn to get by the 404 in the first place, and another weird turn to get to Leslie and Highway 7. I don't think that would work out.

there is plenty of room for the lrt to just go up don mills to highway 7. It should only be built if entirely paid for by work region. There is barely any demand for a frequent bus service, much less an LRT.

Last edited:
there is plenty of room for the lrt to just go up don mills to highway 7. It should only be built if entirely paid for by work region. There is barely any demand for a frequent bus service, much less an LRT.

Firstly, it's all about network building. The Don Mills line is supposed to end at Steeles, and there is a large employment centre due north at highway 7. If that isn't going to be called missing link then I don't know what is, regardless of demand in between.

Secondly, municipalities don't pay for capital transit projects anymore, so there's no reason to put caveats regarding who pays what.

There's not really much space to do it there. As well, it would make a really awkward turn to get by the 404 in the first place, and another weird turn to get to Leslie and Highway 7. I don't think that would work out.

Getting to/from 404 should not be that difficult. In the south, there might be a short (300 - 400 m) tunnel from the Don Mills / Steeles intersection to just east of 404. In the north, the LRT line would tilt west along 407 (just one more elevated guideway added to the 404 / 407 maze) and join Leslie just north of 407.

Regarding the space next to 404, the maps seem to show some to the east, but honestly I am not familiar with that area.

The potential demand is probably there, although it will be very much peak-oriented: those who work at Leslie / Hwy 7 / 16-th, but live south of Steeles. Leslie is packed during the peak hours, and it is only going to get worse as the population and employment grows. Currently, almost everyone drives cars because the bus service is so infrequent and slow. With a reliable LRT service on its ROW avoiding the congestion, some will switch.

The residents were advocating for Woodbine Ave as an alternative, pointing out (as some have here) there is little trip generation along Don Mills north of Steeles but that Woodbine has all those employment sites...

The residents were advocating for Woodbine Ave as an alternative, pointing out (as some have here) there is little trip generation along Don Mills north of Steeles but that Woodbine has all those employment sites...
I advocate for this. Woodbine would be an excellent route for a Don Mills extension, but some people would complain that Viva Green/Warden is too close...

I advocate for this. Woodbine would be an excellent route for a Don Mills extension, but some people would complain that Viva Green/Warden is too close...

I also agree that Woodbine would be a great route for the extension. I don't think I agree that people would complain that Viva Green is too close, as the Green is still a significant distance away, and is completely useless to those who would be using the Woodbine route as it turns off into Downtown Markham and goes along Enterprise until Kennedy before hitting Hwy 7.

I also agree that Woodbine would be a great route for the extension. I don't think I agree that people would complain that Viva Green is too close, as the Green is still a significant distance away, and is completely useless to those who would be using the Woodbine route as it turns off into Downtown Markham and goes along Enterprise until Kennedy before hitting Hwy 7.
Yes, but I imagine some people would say "Oh just take Viva Green and then Purple to get to Highway 7 and Woodbine." Don't get me wrong, it should be done and I totally want it to happen, but I can just imagine politicians/"concerned citizens" arguing that. Maybe the Don Mills LRT/*route* (in case of DRL extension) will end up splitting in half at Finch in the future, for one to go up Woodbine, and another to Downtown Markham. It would be interesting, and would definitely get some use. There would need to be some significant development at Woodbine though, as the Business parks there (while there are a couple) definitely don't warrant subway yet, and

I'm sure in the next 50 years or so, the whole Highway 7 corridor will be sufficiently built up, notably around Woodbine. Maybe a Viva Purple subway would actually be viable... Wouldn't that be cool! :D

Speaking of Highway 7, Wikipedia Says that the Region's considering renaming Highway 7 to something more suitable. I've been thinking for a while this should come, but Avenue 7 seems kind of unoriginal, doesn't it?

Speaking of Highway 7, Wikipedia Says that the Region's considering renaming Highway 7 to something more suitable. I've been thinking for a while this should come, but Avenue 7 seems kind of unoriginal, doesn't it?

Indeed it does. The region was supposed to be looking at that this past spring but I think it got delayed until the fall. But it is in the works.

Indeed it does. The region was supposed to be looking at that this past spring but I think it got delayed until the fall. But it is in the works.

I love the comment at the end of the yorkregion.com article linked to by the wikipedia article:

According to the report, the Ministry of Transportation is not supportive of the change, citing the number system used to identify the highway network as the easiest way to give guidance to road users in North America and Europe.
Too bad MTO didn't think of this before wrecking the provincial highway numbering system as part of the 1990s downloading of highways. Surely we could have kept the provincial numbering system intact even with the downloads.

I love the comment at the end of the yorkregion.com article linked to by the wikipedia article:

Too bad MTO didn't think of this before wrecking the provincial highway numbering system as part of the 1990s downloading of highways. Surely we could have kept the provincial numbering system intact even with the downloads.

I agree they should have kept it, but had it cosigned with the new name, like in Brampton.

Back