News   Jun 26, 2024
 424     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 548     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 528     1 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Wouldn't it be slightly cheaper to purchase GTA Weekly Passes?

i kinda forgot about those.

before i was paying $191 so there wasn't much savings in getting a weekly pass. but now that's it's a bit more i'll have to start doing that. the only pain is trying not to forget to buy a pass every week.

I am always the one majorly criticizing the TTC's planning, but why is the TTC increasing bus service while freezing fares, while all the other GTA operators are cutting service in the face of rising ridership. Maybe the fare freeze wasn't the best idea for the TTC, but they sure sre the only ones improving service. I'm glad they stepped up to the plate, but the worsening suburban bus services have to change their ways! remember when the Green VIVA was made into a rush-hour only route.

Well it's even worse than just cutting service. They increased fares while simultaneously cutting service, like a slap to the face of their riders.

I am always the one majorly criticizing the TTC's planning, but why is the TTC increasing bus service while freezing fares, while all the other GTA operators are cutting service in the face of rising ridership. Maybe the fare freeze wasn't the best idea for the TTC, but they sure sre the only ones improving service. I'm glad they stepped up to the plate, but the worsening suburban bus services have to change their ways! remember when the Green VIVA was made into a rush-hour only route.

It's not fair to say that all suburban transit services are cutting service. Oakville is finally rethinking its route structure an adding more corsstown routes, although there will be a fare increase.

Before everyone gets hysterical about the services YRT may "cut," please notice that some of these routes are only used by a few dozen people per day so they're considering putting such routes on dial-a-service. If one branch through an industrial park sees 50 rides per day, YRT might choose to "cut" that service and put the regular bus on a school route that sees 60 rides a day and serve the industrial park as needed...it's not like they're killing the Finch East bus and dancing on its grave. When you plan transit based on serving individually countable riders, as happens in Aurora, a claim that there's "cuts" on the way is baseless.

Yes I completely agree ... the money would be better used elsewhere.

You should see the ridership of some of the routes that are in question ... they're a joke. Even for 1 bus a day! :)
Either way this isn't a bad move by any means. As long as the money is used elsewhere in the system (i.e. improving Viva Blue reliability or something along those lines).

Concentrate on the area's that have both the transit potential from a planing point of view and the people to take it.
Sure you can plop transit anywhere in the world but that doesn't mean anyone will take it.

ps - If you recall York regions plan they did mention something regarding routes with very low cost recovery. I think they picked some minimum they want to achieve and this is probably one of the things they'll need to do to achieve that.

I don't think any system is really cutting service. Though some routes will see cuts, there will still be a large increase in service overall.

I am more concerned about the fare increases. By the end of this month, an adult ticket will cost $2.60 in York, $2.575 in Durham, $2.50 in Brampton, and $2.40 in Mississauga vs. $2.25 in Toronto.

oh, my bad...But yes, GTA fares are starting to get much higher than the TTC's. If we're trying to get people in the suburbs out of their cars, then this is counterproductive. Isn't YRT one-zone fare now $3?

...and two-zone is $4.something??
Two-zone was $3.50 2 years ago. That's a big increase.

Honestly I don't mind paying higher prices as long as I see improvements, and I must say that YRT is realyl moving along with the plans thye have proposed like the hwy 7 rapidway and what not, i'd say give it a couple more years and then the prices will come back down.

Back