News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

But when they reduce the 16th Avenue bus Service on Sunday to 47 minutes, it's alarming. We all know the region is growing, the roads are getting clogged with traffic jams, and growing poverty and pollorazation.

there is much lower ridership on sundays anyways. very few people go to work relative to the weekdays. please explain how low sunday ridership equates to poverty increases when to most, sunday is a day of rest.

Did YRT at one point offer the Ride to GO fare for transfers to and from GO buses as well as trains? I thought they did but it seems to be limited to just trains now.

Yrt plans a service change for April 29: https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-maps/service-changes.aspx

What's worse is that the YRT also plans an alarming series of service cuts such as the 16th Avenue bus service on Sunday which they adjust to 47 minutes. If the YRT keeps cutting service, then poverty will rise at an accelerating rate.

Actually it seems to me that service hours are about the same: they're cutting service on some routes and increasing them on others at about the same level. Some of the cuts might also be seasonal: York U is out for the summer, and they account for a significant chunk of ridership on some routes.

I don't think the YRT would do that. Splitting the routes will help improve service reliability.

Interlining them at night might be a good idea (like Route 98/99).

Also, I think YRT would really benefit from some Chinese-language outreach. Take out full page ads in Ming Pao and Sing Tao. Send some Chinese-speaking ambassadors to places like Yee Hong, Mon Sheong and Pacific Mall.

Says subway is important, but doesn’t introduce Viva Silver. Not even extending Route 4 from Vaughan Mills Terminal to SmartCentres Place Terminal. What a joke really.
What they need to be doing instead of cutting services is extending the hours on the service they already have.
Yeah boosting transit service will help reduce traffic congestion so that people will get into transit instead of using their cars.

Durham Region Transit is boosting it's transit system up to 2019 and they did a great job improving the service levels: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/ServicePlans/Pages/2018-Public-Information-Centres.aspx
Great find. In Oshawa, you don't need a car to get around. Or Whitby. Outside of Viva, YRT is horrible and even worse after 7 every day of the week. And another thing, the subway will operate outsid rush hour and not everyone has a car, so how to get to VIVA?

I agree. The YRT needs to know that South Markham poverty rate is high and in 10-20 years it would be a high crime area if they don't do any solutions.
The parts where Brampton has issues are transit scarce. Hard to get to jobs, money has to come from somewhere. Not a coincidence.
there is much lower ridership on sundays anyways. very few people go to work relative to the weekdays. please explain how low sunday ridership equates to poverty increases when to most, sunday is a day of rest.
But why does Oakville have much better service?

I agree. The YRT needs to know that South Markham poverty rate is high and in 10-20 years it would be a high crime area if they don't do any solutions.

Like I said, YRT also needs to do some non-English outreach. They claim that 96% of their ridership is English-speaking (not necessarily exclusively), but there's almost certainly a large chunk of potential riders that are not fluent in English that YRT is missing out on.

Back