News   Jul 12, 2024
 760     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 692     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

A new Storefront

I'm loving this.

dsc01621t.jpg

dtgeek,

Thanks! By the way, my description of north of Bloor is just the downtown part that ends at Ramsden park.

Yes, I get it & agree.
North of there becomes very pleasant up to around a little north of St. Clair, excluding a few gaps in there. Yonge & Lawrence area is cool too, no offense to anyone who lives in the area but I'm not a Yonge-Eg fan.

I think if you're seen walking along Yonge by yourself, and you're over the age of 50, people will assume you're up to no good.QUOTE]

What a truly bizarre thing to say. So any individual over fifty popping into Shoppers Drug Mart for a tube of Crest is going to be seen as suspect by the general populace???

I think certain streets attract certain types of folks, and in turn the street evolves to serve those same types. Its a reinforcing loop. Yonge is a place for young unpretentious people and older misfits. I've come to believe it serves a useful purpose in that people who might feel self-concious elsewhere can find acceptance on Yonge. There are no expectations or "standards" that need to get met. For example, you're never going to see a drag-queen strolling along Bloor/Yorkville, but they are welcome on Yonge.
I think if you're seen walking along Yonge by yourself, and you're over the age of 50, people will assume you're up to no good.
So while the traffic volume on Yonge is very high, it's potential as a viable retail strip is limited.
In recent years I've become self-concious on Yonge unless I'm dressed like a vagabond.

I'm afraid I have to agree with jaborandi on this one. Some of your generalizations are confusing. I walk Yonge street to and from work everyday and have no sense of the above. I see drag queens in yorkville and yuppies on Yonge street. I see professionals of all types and ages on Yonge street. I firmly believe that Yonge - from St. Clair to the waterfront is one of the most diverse streets in Canada (positively and negatively).

Yonge street has limited potential as a viable retail strip? Yonge street is one of the oldest and most vibrant, multicultural, various and well know retail strips in Canada - quite possibly even in North America.

Did I miss a subtext in your message?

One of my favourite street downtown is Victoria Street, south of Queen, particuarly below Adelaide. It really feels like you're in the financial district of New York or Boston with little stores, cheek-by-jowl 1920s and 1970s office buildings, and a narrow street that really boxes you in without confining you too much though due to its short stretch.

Edit: Come to think of it, apart from St. Mike's, which unfortunately is a disgrace to each of the streets it faces except Bond, it's quite interesting all the way up to Gerrard as well.

Last edited:
I think KGB on SCC summed Yonge Street up very nicely when he once described it as a free zone that didn't belong to any demographic and is shared by all.

Neglected heritage

What a shame , that two heritage bank buldings on a strech across from Eatons are sitting so neglected for so long...

^ Yes, I'm sure most members here feel that way. Those two banks should be the subject of a UT design competition assuming one owner owned the two banks and the parkette in between.

I wonder if that parkette is owned privately or by the City? A famous nightclub used to be there but I can't remember the name of it.

I wonder if that parkette is owned privately or by the City? A famous nightclub used to be there but I can't remember the name of it.

I think the parkette is owned by the city along with the northernmost bank. If I remember correctly the parkette was the site of the Colonial Tavern. The southernmost bank was owned by the Montreal company that makes Parasuco jeans and they were supposed to turn it into a boutique hotel but, well you know.

City Hall

In my humble opinion, City hall should be constantly reminded about such a neglect of our city heritage!

I feel very sad...

I think the parkette is owned by the city along with the northernmost bank. If I remember correctly the parkette was the site of the Colonial Tavern. The southernmost bank was owned by the Montreal company that makes Parasuco jeans and they were supposed to turn it into a boutique hotel but, well you know.

Yes, The Colonial Tavern, good work! :)

Back