News   Jul 15, 2024
 732     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

"Charm" has come up in a couple of posts, so at least two people here seem to like Yonge. It clearly isn't charming in the way that Fifth Ave (NYC), Rambla de Catalunya (Barcelona), or Collins Street (Melbourne) are. Personally I think Yonge is typically Toronto - pig ugly, shabby and depressing. But I'm willing to admit there might be something I missed. In what way can Yonge be considered charming?

Well, I think that The real reason why Yonge is so shabby is because people have let the buildings fall apart. Even that place where The Gasworks used to be is dilapagated but that's just a part of the charm of Yonge Street. And there are people who just don't give a crap one way or the other.
Some restoration of the bricks and some other work.
It's all just a pipe dream for me.

Saw a pic the other day of Yonge around Wellesley............thought I was going to puke.

It looked absolutely dreadful and it's a wonder anyone walks down the street with such incredibly thin sidewalks and in disrepair. It's sad to see such a street with history become so decrepid and uninviting. Yonge is an embarrassment to the city and the city should be ashamed. This is made worse by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any plan to improve it.

As far as the old building being left to rot well that is a result of Yonge itself. Who would buy a property on Yonge to open a restaurant besides McDonald's? A chunk of bar, cafes, and restaurant business these days come from their patios but no where on Yonge could you even put a chair without blocking the sidewalk they are so damn thin. Yonge should be a pedestrian only street from Bloor to Front and the city could allow certain times early in the morning for deliveries. Yonge could again the fun and vibrant street it once was as opposed to a street with a lot of subway stops.

Yonge north of Dundas is actually one of my favourite streets to walk down, after Yonge south of Dundas and Queen West. It's just so lively and colourful.

It looked absolutely dreadful and it's a wonder anyone walks down the street with such incredibly thin sidewalks and in disrepair. It's sad to see such a street with history become so decrepid and uninviting. Yonge is an embarrassment to the city and the city should be ashamed. This is made worse by the fact that there doesn't seem to be any plan to improve it.

As far as the old building being left to rot well that is a result of Yonge itself. Who would buy a property on Yonge to open a restaurant besides McDonald's? ...

Oh I don't know, only Banh Mi Boys, Bar Volo, the Red Bench, and Chalau, to name a few, with the first two being especially highly regarded by with Banh Mi Boys being consistently ranked by the Chowhound Toronto folks as one of the best new restaurants of 2013, and Bar Volo being perennially recognized as Toronto premier beer bar. And outside the food realm, 401 Games just relocated to their new and expanded digs, just south of Wellesley on Yonge.

Nevermind the ever growing corporate presence, with McDonald's having opened up their flagship just north of Dundas (replete with a fireplace), Red's Midtown and Scaddabush in Aura, yet another Starbucks popping up just south of College, a new Winerack just to the north, A&W, which only opened up a year (or two now?) ago, then there's a Kenzo Ramen, a new 7-11, a new Menchies, and no doubt quite a few more I'm forgetting.

If anything, Yonge between Bloor and Dundas feels as though its gradually becoming more akin to the highly commercialized nature of Queen West (between University and Spadina), than whatever decrepit wasteland you seem to believe it to be, though thankfully there is also still plenty of room for independent storefronts and shops to make themselves home, as several such high quality, even destination establishments have indeed done.

I agree, Yonge Street is not that bad and improving despite the horrible planning (subway excepted) holding it back. But that's the thing... while it has positive attributes, it could be so much greater. The only way it could be worse is to have 4 lanes one way.

There are few similar streets in North America that are so much more autocentric than they should be. Toronto is a big city with a very strong downtown by US/Can standards. The main cities that compete/surpass Toronto in this regard are San Francisco, Vancouver, Chicago, Montreal, Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington.

Yonge Street is a very prominent street in Toronto, it's got a subway, and connects densely populated neighbourhoods, retail, jobs and all sorts of destinations. King W and Queen W are similar.

New York has the Avenues
Vancouver has Broadway and Robson
Montreal has Sainte-Catherine
San Francisco has Market Street
DC has 14th and K streets
Chicago has Michigan Avenue
Philadelphia has Broad and Market, and to a lesser degree Spruce and Chestnut
Boston doesn't really have any equivalents, the activity is more spread out across smaller streets.

Of these, many are much wider and can and do accomodate significant volumes of pedestrians and cars with ease.
-Michigan Avenue
-Rue Sainte Catherine
-Market Street (Philly)
-Broad Street
-K Street
-14th Street (both K and 14th look kind of dead on streetview compared to Yonge, though I don't know how representative that is of how things usually are since I've never been to DC)
-New York's Avenues

Market Street (SF) is wider, although it allocates less total space to cars than Yonge and much more to transit, bikes and pedestrians.
Granville Street is I think a bit wider, and yet it allocates no space to cars, splitting it between transit and large sidewalks.
Robson Street is also a bit wider, and it seems to have only 2 lanes for auto traffic, 2 for parking and wider sidewalks.

Spruce and Chestnut Streets looks about the same ROW width as Yonge. Despite being less prominent within downtown and having a bit less pedestrians, they have wider sidewalks and only 2 lanes dedicate to moving wheeled vehicles with a third lane dedicated to on-street parking. They've very nice little streest with street trees, lovely architecture... They have a decent number of pedestrians although it would probably have quite a bit less if not for the balanced allocation of space. Philadelphia actually has very narrow streets, Market and Broad Street seemed to be the only large streets in the core South of the Vine Expressway, so taking away space for cars is a sacrifice (not that I don't think it's worth it, it is).

Meanwhile, Yonge Street has a bunch of major thoroughfares paralleling it that have 4+ lanes of traffic. Spadina, University, Bay, Church, Jarvis... there's plenty of capacity on these. Yonge Street actually gets relatively little traffic. Not to mention there's the DVP and 2 subway lines for more regional trips (subways can also carry the local traffic).

And yet...

Yonge Street has 4 lanes of traffic that move probably a fraction of the amount of people as the tiny crappy sidewalks. Drop down into streetview and try counting the number of cars you see on Yonge. Then try counting the number of pedestrians within the same street of Yonge... we're talking about something like 10 pedestrians for each car. There's no buffer between the sidewalks and traffic such as on-street parking, no biking infrastructure - which is fairly limitted in North-South streets in downtown (not that East-West is so much better) - no street trees, no flowers, no benches, no patios, no spaces for street vendors or food trucks. Just 70% of the ROW dedicated to a lot of asphalt for moving cars.

So you have to wonder, why does such a prominent street in such a big downtown have so many crappy landlords defacing formerly attractive buildings with ugly plastic facades and renting out the retail to sketchy d-list shops? Why don't other prominent streets in other cities (or even other streets in Toronto) have this problem. Surely the way Yonge Street is designed and maintained couldn't be devaluing it?

Good points.

I think Yonge should be reduced to a single, ample lane of traffic each way with the sidewalks widened to make up the difference. I'm not sure how much tree weight the subway roof is or could be engineered to hold, but there are plenty of types of trees that could provide good visual lines and cover while working within it. Put down real pavers, put up better street furniture to go with the lighting, and get the goddamn strip properly lit between Bloor and Wellesley. It's like a forgotten corner of New York City circa 1977 up there. Actually, a friend up mine up from New York who used to live here commented - "What's up with Yonge street up there? It looks so...fetid?". I agree. Charming, tumbledown, homey...these are one thing. But dank, low, scuzzy and underlit are quite another. With all the massive increase of density in the last ten years throughout and around this whole area, and the resurgence of interest in automobile-free access, the increased and lasting pedestrianization of Yonge is an idea whose time has come.

As for the decay and lousy sloppiness, it happened as Yonge went from being Toronto's only main shopping street - or only much of anything - though it was neat and tidy, down through it's evolution as a 'sin strip'. Sometime after that it stopped being funky and just got lazier and grottier as the city spread out. Everything used to be centered on Yonge - gay, straight, seedy, respectable, accessible international restaurants for tourists, the works. But much as the Church/Wellesley village has become grossly lax and seedy without pressure from the outside pushing it together, so with Yonge. There are so many other places to be and things to do that it really hasn't had to keep itself up. That's a loose idear, anyway. I wonder what rents are like per establishment, what's included or not by way of building repairs and upkeep from tenants, how many landlords are local, etc. We've seen the cost of distant and negligent landlords in the disgusting loss of the Empress Hotel. I'm sure financial conditions on Yonge vary a lot, but there's got to be something more than just lax attitudes or landlords waiting for demolition to make money, to account for it's shabby state.

A small part of Yonge Street's problem (and a widespread Toronto 'thing') is it's vista-less non-ending linearity. The street just goes on and on. Not a bend, not a split, or monument or traffic circle. It's gentle consistent slope makes for a peculiar slow run downhill on onehand, and an almost subliminal increase in difficulty the other way. It doesn't terminate well at the lake in a way that honours it and makes it visible when you're blocks north, and northwards, there's no convenient hill or obstacle to get around that might give a decent sense of closure visually. The street just seems to drain on forever, rigid, one way or the other.
A city critic once noted that Toronto's best walking streets are usually east/west instead of north/south. I wonder if the insinuating, almost unnoticable rise (or slope down) of the street has anything to do with this.
Ideally, one could look down Yonge and see a clear opening to the water. The Gardiner and the tracks have made sure that won't happen, but at least one end would have a wonderful vista and sense of arrival. As Jane Jacobs said "There must always be an end in sight, and the end must not be final".

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing, say, the Yonge/Wellesley corner undergo some major surgery (buildings moved entire, etc.), and something along the lines of a traditional 'round with a typical fountain, obelisk or statue setup go it. Just to keep things humane. A friend of mine has always said "there's something wrong with Yonge Street", referring to people hurrying up and down the sidewalks, up against it's walls, with little sense of leisure or enjoyment.
It's not a leisurely street. That's a problem. It needs generosity, and not of vehicular traffic. It needs greenery. Look at any street before and after trees. All the bemoaned polygot ugliness of Yonge would disappear as if into a mist if the sidewalks were enlarged, and green trees were planted from Lakeshore to Bloor. In fact, it's chunk-a-lunk complexity could become an instant benefit. As it is, it's all we have to look at, unflitered. A half-decent veil of tracery would go a long way. Leaves in the summer and fall, lights in the winter and spring.

Last edited:
I think Yonge should be reduced to a single, ample lane of traffic each way with the sidewalks widened to make up the difference.

I would also add some separated bike lanes. To me this example would be ideal.

12245401886_e393f43e13_o.jpg

Source: http://completestreetsforcanada.ca/complete-streets-design

There was the experiment two summers ago where they restricted Yonge to two car lanes and filled the extra space with Muskoka chairs, patios, plants, picnic tables.
I thought it was pretty successful, there were often people enjoying the day, having a drink, sitting along the street.

I've always loved walking along Yonge, from the lake all the way to Finch, but obviously things could be improved. You get some many diverse areas, Bloor to St Clair is nice and filled with mid-rise buildings, and there's the Summerhill train station. I've always liked Yonge & St Clair. Mt Pleasant Cemetary, Davisville subway yards. I'm a fan of my neighbourhood's stretch of Yonge from Davisville to north of Lawrence. Then you get the ravine at York Mills, and North York centre.

If you're going to reduce the lanes to one, in either direction, you might as well just remove the road altogether. It makes little sense to have one lane going each way. There wouldn't be enough people in those vehicles to justify keeping the road. Either make Yonge a 2 lane road in one direction, or just remove the road between Bay and Front (or the lake). Preferably the 2nd option. The sidewalks would still be pretty narrow if the road is reduced to two lanes. Yonge St is way too congested with pedestrians. I don't think widening the sidewalks a tad is going to make pedestrian flow that much greater.

Last edited:
I think Yonge should be car free from Bloor to Union myself.

What exactly is the plan for Yonge or is there even one?

I think Yonge should be car free from Bloor to Union myself.

What exactly is the plan for Yonge or is there even one?

agree but car drivers will complain.
In reality I don't know why anyone needs to drive on Yonge - there is Bay and Jarvis right beside it serving as semi-highways with few pedestrians. Yonge from Front st to Bloor can be pedestrians only without causing much issue (except to delivery trucks during certain period I guess).

Queen st from University to Spadina should be car free too. However, nobody dare to make the change. No matter what people say, I feel Toronto is still quiet a car centric city - we hardly have any pedestrian only street (except a couple of very very short ones).

It could be pedestrian only, but sometimes traffic helps animate a street. Jane Jacobs pointed out that when a lot of streets were pedestrianized, people still moved mostly towards the edges because that's where the windows and the stores were.
I think full-on pedestrianization works best during and after festivals and celebrations. One of the best I've seen was when Team Canada won the Olympic medal, and Yonge spontaneously filled with people, reaching the peak at Dundas Square. It was great.
One lane of traffic each way is good for taxis and emergency and delivery vehicles, at the very least. It's not that I think full pedestrianization can't be done, just that before any permanent change is instituted, the city should be absolutely sure it's going to work. Yonge Street around Dundas Square, I believe could at least support full summer closure and conversion.

Successful pedestrianization can be seen in a lot of European cities. In Canada the two that spring to mind are cautionary - Sparks Street Mall in Ottawa, and Granville Street in Vancouver. Granville became so sluggish without traffic that it was reworked here and there in a conventional style, then redone for the Olympics.

Granville With Trees, and without.
a-granville-at-night-040.jpg

Granville.jpg

And a plan
tumblr_mkhukcpqbr1qg2xvoo1_1280.jpg

Then there's this: The story of the Yonge Street mall. The first couple years were cheery, but then less-than-cheery elements got on the rise - not that they hadn't always been there. There's a general notion that the Province didn't like it, nor did Simpsons or Eatons.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/03/the_story_of_the_first_yonge_street_pedestrian_mall/

http://accozzaglia.ca/writing/research/urbanism/yonge-street-mall/

Looks rather like fun.

Yonge-Street-Mall-on-Queen-ca.-1971-s1465_fl0312_it0055-mod.jpg

2011318-Yonge_Street_pedestrian_mall_in_Toronto.jpg

2011318-yonge-mall.jpg

images.jpg

yonge_street_mall1.jpg

Yonge-Street-Mall-1973-City-of-Toronto-Archives.jpg

yonge_street1970s.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

These days, with a crowd.
imgres.jpg

Attachments