News   Apr 18, 2024
 666     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Yonge Street, North York Streetscape Improvements

It has more to do with the Executive Committee approving the motion rather than Shiner filing it. He's only accountable to his ward after all, and his ward certainly does not include Yonge St...

So does this mean it can go either way next week by Exec Committee vote?

I understand that the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund will pay $2 million of the $4 million cost. What a lost opportunity if Shiner's motion goes through!

So does this mean it can go either way next week by Exec Committee vote?

I understand that the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund will pay $2 million of the $4 million cost. What a lost opportunity if Shiner's motion goes through!

The motion was approved a few days ago in a non-recorded vote.

I only heard of this from CBC today. What's with all the secrecy?
The motion was raised (with no warning) at Executive Committee on Tuesday (By David Shiner) and passed. It now goes to Council where it could be changed back. Motion reads:
6a - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor David Shiner (Carried)

That City Council decrease the 2017 - 2026 Budget Committee Recommended Capital Budget and Plan for Transportation Services by $4.0 million in 2017 cash flows, and defer consideration of the Re-Imagining Yonge Street Sheppard to Finch capital project to the 2018 Budget process.

Local residents were expecting discussion of Re-Imagining Yonge (Sheppard to Finch) at the Public Works Committee this quarter. But this week, Executive Committee approved the following motion by Councillor Shiner:

6a - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor David Shiner
That:

1. City Council decrease the 2017 - 2026 Budget Committee Recommended Capital Budget and Plan for Transportation Services by $4.0 million in 2017 cash flows, and defer consideration of the Re-Imagining Yonge Street Sheppard to Finch capital project to the 2018 Budget process.

Apparently Shiner said that he was against the removal of a lane of traffic on Yonge, and that the loss of street parking will be bad for businesses. He also thinks it's unsafe having the cycle tracks terminate at Bishop Ave, because "inexperienced cyclists" will ride north on Yonge St in the cycle tracks, and then get to Bishop and decide to continue riding further north where there is no bike lane (for now).

This delay could kill the project altogether and lose funding from the federal government’s Public Transit Infrastructure Fund, which requires projects to be shovel ready by 2018. Councillor Filion didn't know it was happening. He's outraged. This is just another example of throwing people under the bus with the most thinly veiled excuses.

First of all, Shiner should be more concerned about inexperienced and careless car drivers than cyclists. It's ludicrous to be worrying about losing street parking when the study showed there is ample parking on side streets and underground, and that parking generally contributes only a tiny fraction of a business's customer base. Then there's the stupid assertion that the termination of the bike lane at Bishop Ave leaves cyclists in the lurch with nowhere to go. The intention of the bike plan is to create a network of bike facilities in the area enabling riders to transfer from one route to another (here's a map). The Yonge bike lane would connect to the Finch Hydro Corridor trail. Cyclists on Yonge who want a safe way of riding north to Steeles can use the Finch trail to transfer onto the planned Willowdale Ave bike lane (to the east) or to the Hilda Ave signed bike route (to the west). If Shiner wants to rant about cycling safety, then maybe he should make sure that Willowdale and and Hilda projects are built too.

I'm not sure Shiner has ever made a useful contribution to Council. But I am sure he's not doing so now.

I'm not sure Shiner has ever made a useful contribution to Council. But I am sure he's not doing so now.

The section of Yonge between Highway 401 and Finch is extremely busy and traffic will get even worse if you narrow it from 3 lanes each way to 2, and get TTC bus 97, subway replacement shuttle buses and GO buses 19, 27, 32, 34, 67 and 96 severely delayed.

Look at the Bloor bike lanes - traffic got much worse when these were installed. This is especially true in the area around Avenue where the road narrows from 4 lanes east of Avenue to 2 lanes west of Avenue.

The section of Yonge between Highway 401 and Finch is extremely busy and traffic will get even worse if you narrow it from 3 lanes each way to 2, and get TTC bus 97, subway replacement shuttle buses and GO buses 19, 27, 32, 34, 67 and 96 severely delayed.

Look at the Bloor bike lanes - traffic got much worse when these were installed. This is especially true in the area around Avenue where the road narrows from 4 lanes east of Avenue to 2 lanes west of Avenue.

Is a single one of the assertions you made here actually based on any sort of data or fact?

At the very least, it is certainly steeped in a whole bunch of retrograde, knee-jerk assumptions. Happy to have you prove that wrong if you can.

Is a single one of the assertions you made here actually based on any sort of data or fact?

At the very least, it is certainly steeped in a whole bunch of retrograde, knee-jerk assumptions. Happy to have you prove that wrong if you can.
Can't speak for Yonge between Sheppard and Finch, but severe congestion between 401 and Sheppard is a fact every weekday during rush hours. You can see that on google maps traffic if you don't live in the immediate area. It's gotten to a point where the traffic queue routinely backs onto the highway. They should at least address that issue before creating a bottleneck past Sheppard.

Yonge is usually fine between Sheppard and Finch. It's already a two-lane road in practice, because of bus stops during rush hour and parking off-peak. South of Sheppard is a mess though, and I'm not sure what can be done to change that. I'm pretty worried about the ban on Yonge-to-Sheppard left turns that this plan is proposing, and I don't really get why it's necessary.

^it improves signal timing and vehicle throughput at the intersection. Also far more pedestrian freindly for a large intersection like that.

The idea is that if you want to make a left turn movement you can do it through the two bypass roads, which I find reasonable. My one concern is if they implemented the ban before they could complete the eastern bypass road so that it goes south of Sheppard.

The idea is that if you want to make a left turn movement you can do it through the two bypass roads, which I find reasonable.

The problem is that there are already lots of cars turning left at Poyntz and Bogert. Those three turns are going to be merged into one, which seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Then the southbound traffic gets screwed. I think it'll need some major reconfiguration of Poyntz, Anndale, Avondale and Florence to sort out the traffic flow.
? I'm no Traffic Engineer, maybe you should leave it to them too for this sort of stuff. I'm sure there is a Traffic analysis somewhere for this.

That's not true, the road carries more cars than it did before, they're just in single file instead of abreast.

Back